Our accents

I got Salt Lake City, Stockton and Modesto. I live in San Diego, grew up in So Cal.

I never thought I had an accent until I started taking choir. Found out that I pronounce "ooh" as "Eww" (not the proper latin at all!) And "ah" and "aw" are identical to me, but the director told us those would be pronounced quite differently on the East Coast or in England.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I have an ability that some of my Spanish speaking friends think is wonderful, it seems I can speak Spanish without an accent (or at least with the same accent as they have). I don't really speak Spanish though*. I'm just good at mimicking the words they teach me. I don't know if this carries over to other languages.

*My Spanish is limited to saying hello several different ways, asking where the bathroom is, ordering beer or bottled water, some foods, swearing, clumsily trying to pick up a girl (I learned most of this in the Army), and a few other very basic things.

I'm just good at mimicking the words they teach me. I don't know if this carries over to other languages.

I think I could do that, but I haven't tried.....I could learn a language if I had to, but it would be hard work, and pretty soon I'd forget most of it....I don't even talk much English to people, so another language wouldn't get much exercise.

I grew up in Rhode Island and Connecticut, so I would say I have a Northeast accent, even though I spent a number of years in the Mid-Atlantic. Sometimes I pronounce my "r's" at the end of words, but after a couple of beers, the Rhody-speak takes over. :D

I was born and brought up in the highlands of Scotland so have a typical accent for the area but I've been told I sound a bit Glaswegian when I've had a few drinks :-/ if this is true (and I'm not entirely convinced it is) probably due to living in Falkirk when I first left home as a spotty teen :)

It's really interesting reading about where everyone is from, this forum is very diverse! :)

I have trouble understanding some accents from the North of England and sometimes Scotland.
I'm repeatedly told by English tourists that we talk too fast and have too many local words they dont understand, is it that what makes it difficult in your experience Moll?

I struggle with the north England accents sometimes, but I think perhaps, in my limited experience, that Scots are not quite as difficult to understand. They are both lovely accents (or dialects?) in any case.

I'm Norwegian, but have lived in England for several years now. My wife is American. So my English is obviously not very coherent or pure. I'm generally content as long as whoever I'm talking to can't guess my origin.

Reactions: BronwynMendoza
I'm repeatedly told by English tourists that we talk too fast and have too many local words they dont understand, is it that what makes it difficult in your experience Moll?

I'm not sure, I just find the Scottish accent difficult to understand if it's strong but I'm okay with the Irish brogue even when that is strong but it's because I've heard it more often. I'm okay face to face usually, it's just sometimes on the phone with Northern English accents I honestly cannot understand all the words they are saying. It's embarrassing.:oops:

Face to face is always easier I find too :) I've got a few pals from North England and even after many years we still have times when neither is following along with the conversation haha!

Indian Summer, do you enjoy the feeling that the person your speaking to is secretly trying to guess where you come from? Haha sorry if that sounds accusing I just have a friend from the Falkland isles who does that :)

I'm not sure, I just find the Scottish accent difficult to understand if it's strong but I'm okay with the Irish brogue even when that is strong but it's because I've heard it more often. I'm okay face to face usually, it's just sometimes on the phone with Northern English accents I honestly cannot understand all the words they are saying. It's embarrassing.:oops:

Same here. I also find that Scottish accents (especially from Glasgow) are really difficult to understand. I wonder what the Scots think of accents that come from the south ? Do they find it difficult to understand to understand southerners ?

Indian Summer, do you enjoy the feeling that the person your speaking to is secretly trying to guess where you come from? Haha sorry if that sounds accusing I just have a friend from the Falkland isles who does that :)
Sometimes ... Generally, I suspect they're thinking "bloody foreigner" or some such ....

Same here. I also find that Scottish accents (especially from Glasgow) are really difficult to understand. I wonder what the Scots think of accents that come from the south ? Do they find it difficult to understand to understand southerners ?

Personally I find southern English easier to understand than North, but generally it seems the other way around that they find me hard to follow. But that's just in my experience and can't talk for all my fellow Scots :)

Personally I find southern English easier to understand than North, but generally it seems the other way around that they find me hard to follow. But that's just in my experience and can't talk for all my fellow Scots :)

That is strange and I would have thought it be the other way around.:)

Have you noticed that no matter how they sound when speaking, many singers sound like they're from the Midwestern United States when they sing?
I've often wondered about this.

Have you noticed that no matter how they sound when speaking, many singers sound like they're from the Midwestern United States when they sing?
I've often wondered about this.

Someone once pointed this out about the Beatles, and the response was that they were TRYING to sound American, because they were imitating the American singers they listened to and admired as teenagers. Obviously they weren't the only ones.

As for the Scottish accent, I do have trouble with it. I remember once many, many years ago watching the Scottish-made film "Gregory's Girl" which at that screening didn't have an American or even English dubbing or subtitles, and I had trouble understanding the dialogue. But then when I watched "The Full Monty" for the first time on DVD, I couldn't understand the dialogue and gave up after about 15 minutes. I discovered later that the DVD had a language selection for American English, and that's not what I heard.

I also recall a news story from some years ago about the introduction of the iPhone into Scotland. It was pretty popular, but the Scots got frustrated because when they tried to use Siri, "she" couldn't understand their Scottish accents. :p

Reactions: Dropkick
I also recall a news story from some years ago about the introduction of the iPhone into Scotland. It was pretty popular, but the Scots got frustrated because when they tried to use Siri, "she" couldn't understand their Scottish accents. :p

Yep true story :)

Aam ay scottish descent, due tae thes an' usin' th' power ay make believe coopled wi' self deception Ah hae a perfect understandin' ay everythin' onie scot micht say.

Though I have some trouble understanding what I just posted.