Pack snack ideas needed

VChy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Since I became vegetarian I have hard time finding out what to take with me when I go somewhere and I need a quick snack that I can just pull out of my bag. Any suggestions?

I usually take some vegetarian chips (Kettle), cashews and other nuts, seaweed snack.
For sweets I take sliced fruits or my personal favourite is Fruitickles which is like fruit gummies but made with 100% fruits (but no dates) and it is suitable for vegans.

Early on, Fritos corn chips saved me! one serving size bag pushes hunger away like nothing else. Pair with an apple-a combo I really like, and I'm set. Best thing is that they're found in any gas station along the way.
Nuts have never filled me up or really satisfied. I tend to overeat them and then not feel well. I do keep a trail mix bar in my purse.
If I can plan ahead I'll bring apples, a jar of peanut butter, grapes are good - you can freeze them and use as an ice pack for other things, good frozen or thawed.
I even brought along a pop- top can of baked beans once as a last minute thougth! I ended up eating them out the can! Really have to check baked bean labels, many are veg, most aren't.

I love Clif Builder bars. They have 20 grams of protein, and they taste pretty good. I can eat just half and takes the edge off the hunger.
I second the Fritos. I don't eat them often, but I crave them every now and then, and they really do fill me up.
Trail mix (I make my own using walnuts, raisins, vegan semisweet chocolate chips, almonds and cashews)
Raisins
Fruit (apples, oranges, grapes, pears, bananas)

Thank you for ideas! They are really helpful!

Chloevega, where can I get these Fruitickles?

silva, are you making your own granola bar or you buy it somewhere? It must have been funny when you ate the baked beans :D I also got myself into similar situations when hunger hit in.

PTree15 are these protein bars help to substitute the protein that I miss from meat? I never consumed any of these yet

Thank you for ideas! They are really helpful!

Chloevega, where can I get these Fruitickles?

silva, are you making your own granola bar or you buy it somewhere? It must have been funny when you ate the baked beans :D I also got myself into similar situations when hunger hit in.

PTree15 are these protein bars help to substitute the protein that I miss from meat? I never consumed any of these yet
I wouldn't say they are a meal replacement, but the ones I get (Clif Builder) have 20 grams of protein per bar. I generally take them for hikes (good energy boost because they have some sugar, too) or on a plane when I know the food will be limited. I keep one in my purse in case I end up somewhere that doesn't offer a lot of vegan options. They are quite filling. The chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are my favorites. :)

I'm a liquid kind of gal, especially if I'm looking for something nutritious. This saves me, every time. It can be pricey, especially since my son loves them, too, and drinks half of what I buy. But it really works and while it's best when kept cold, I can drink it room temp if I'm desperate and just need the nutrition.
IMG_7295.jpg

Yup, I tried Fruitickles. I bought the plastic egg thingy for my children and the big bag with the small packs for myself. My children were really happy as they always wanted me to buy them plastic eggs, but I always refused as I found those hard candies really unhealthy. Now they were over-the-moon. They ate it up so fast, that I had to fill the eggs again from my small packs :D

PTree15 thanks a lot for the idea. I have tried the chocolate peanut butter one, it's very yummy. My favourite so far is Chocolate Hazelnut. My DH also asks me to pack it for him. :p

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF