Protein help!

EmmaJH

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all! Anyone got any protein tips other than the usual ? I already eat lots of nuts, seeds, hemp, flax and quinoa but I don’t eat (and won’t eat) any soy products or sietan....and I really really can’t digest pulses well, they don’t suit me (even if I remove skins) I’m finding nuts/seeds and quinoa are getting boring! Any other protein ideas (combinations) that are not tofu or legumes would be hugely appreciated because I feel I just live off mostly nuts, but butter, seeds (and some legumes) and I’m so bored of the same foods! Thanks all!

I think some grains are pretty high in protein. Maybe you could try some grains you haven't had in awhile?

Reactions: EmmaJH
I just looked up some high protein grains. Apparently kamut and teff are especially high in protein.

Good luck!

Reactions: EmmaJH
I just looked up some high protein grains. Apparently kamut and teff are especially high in protein.

Good luck!

THANK YOU! I do have teff and haven't really experimented, so that's a great idea as I had forgotten all about it! :)

Reactions: hopeful
Do you eat hummus, which has tahini and ground chickpeas? Though it contains pulses it might be easier to digest for you than whole beans. Same with homemade falafels, with a tahini sauce or baba ganoush on a whole grain pita is protein.

You can eat cashew "cheese" by blending finely ground cashews with things like nutritional yeast (and other ingredients) to change the flavor of your nuts and make them more versatile in recipes.

You can get quite a bit of protein by combining certain veggies. Let's say you bake a large potato (or two or three smaller potatoes) and top them with a cup of sauteed spinach and mushrooms (maybe in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, or in water with lemon juice and salt or spices if you don't eat oil) you can have 10-12 g of protein....add broccoli or brussels sprouts on the side, with a sauce made of a tahini base you can add about 5 more grams of protein. That's without even adding whole seeds or nuts.

If you eat grains, why won't you eat seitan? It's very tasty, you could just eat it occasionally. Even if you have an aversion to soy for reasons of having an allergy (or just because of being poorly informed) seitan doesn't contain soy.

Reactions: Lou and EmmaJH
Hi all! Anyone got any protein tips other than the usual ? I already eat lots of nuts, seeds, hemp, flax and quinoa but I don’t eat (and won’t eat) any soy products or sietan....and I really really can’t digest pulses well, they don’t suit me (even if I remove skins) I’m finding nuts/seeds and quinoa are getting boring! Any other protein ideas (combinations) that are not tofu or legumes would be hugely appreciated because I feel I just live off mostly nuts, but butter, seeds (and some legumes) and I’m so bored of the same foods! Thanks all!

It will probably surprise you to know that you don't need nearly as much as you might think you need. It's the first question new Vegans usually ask because they are used to getting that satisfied/full feeling from a fair amount of animal protein. The reason for that are the type of bacteria that lives in a flesh eater's gut - they are used to getting their share of animal flesh and fat. When you feed them this, they release some propionate, and you feel satisfied.

Vegans, provided they get enough fiber in their diet, have a different set of bacteria living in their gut. These bacteria are often referred to as the "good" bacteria. They feed on fiber and they also release propionate as well as other beneficial compounds and in greater proportions than the animal munching bacteria do.

Focus on getting more fiber in your diet from whole food products like whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Unless you are dealing with a heart issue, plenty of seeds and nuts are ok too, although you may find it's a little harder to lose weight if you are eating too many nuts / seeds and their butters because of their greater fat content.

Legumes are fiber rich. They may not be agreeing with you because your system is not used to loads of fiber. With legumes especially, it is important to soak them long enough and cook them. If you are getting them from a can, they are typically already cooked. Give it some time, soak legumes over night, and cook them properly. You will feel some bloat at first, and more bowel movements, but this doesn't last forever and your body will adjust to it.

As for protein, it is way over-hyped, and for the reason above. All plant eating animals that are typically eaten for protein/minerals/vitamins get all they need from the plant world. Most of them, if not all, are not eating the greater portion of their calories from seeds and nuts either. Although these are healthful, there's no need to make them the greatest portion of your diet.

Do you eat hummus, which has tahini and ground chickpeas? Though it contains pulses it might be easier to digest for you than whole beans. Same with homemade falafels, with a tahini sauce or baba ganoush on a whole grain pita is protein.

You can eat cashew "cheese" by blending finely ground cashews with things like nutritional yeast (and other ingredients) to change the flavor of your nuts and make them more versatile in recipes.

You can get quite a bit of protein by combining certain veggies. Let's say you bake a large potato (or two or three smaller potatoes) and top them with a cup of sauteed spinach and mushrooms (maybe in olive oil with a little salt and pepper, or in water with lemon juice and salt or spices if you don't eat oil) you can have 10-12 g of protein....add broccoli or brussels sprouts on the side, with a sauce made of a tahini base you can add about 5 more grams of protein. That's without even adding whole seeds or nuts.

If you eat grains, why won't you eat seitan? It's very tasty, you could just eat it occasionally. Even if you have an aversion to soy for reasons of having an allergy (or just because of being poorly informed) seitan doesn't contain soy.
Hi! Thanks so much for your response :) I do eat hummus, yes... I LOVE It!...But it still bloats me out HUGELY! :-(
I do also make many cheesy things (including desserts, yum!) with cashew, but again, thank you for sharing ideas. I love your potato suggestion, that's great! I think my issue is (as mentioned in comment from Nekodaiden) that I always feel there needs to be an obvious larger protein source) but knowing that I can get enough from the suggestion above is really helpful, so thanks very much :) Blessings, Emma x

Reactions: Forest Nymph
It will probably surprise you to know that you don't need nearly as much as you might think you need. It's the first question new Vegans usually ask because they are used to getting that satisfied/full feeling from a fair amount of animal protein. The reason for that are the type of bacteria that lives in a flesh eater's gut - they are used to getting their share of animal flesh and fat. When you feed them this, they release some propionate, and you feel satisfied.

Vegans, provided they get enough fiber in their diet, have a different set of bacteria living in their gut. These bacteria are often referred to as the "good" bacteria. They feed on fiber and they also release propionate as well as other beneficial compounds and in greater proportions than the animal munching bacteria do.

Focus on getting more fiber in your diet from whole food products like whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables. Unless you are dealing with a heart issue, plenty of seeds and nuts are ok too, although you may find it's a little harder to lose weight if you are eating too many nuts / seeds and their butters because of their greater fat content.

Legumes are fiber rich. They may not be agreeing with you because your system is not used to loads of fiber. With legumes especially, it is important to soak them long enough and cook them. If you are getting them from a can, they are typically already cooked. Give it some time, soak legumes over night, and cook them properly. You will feel some bloat at first, and more bowel movements, but this doesn't last forever and your body will adjust to it.

As for protein, it is way over-hyped, and for the reason above. All plant eating animals that are typically eaten for protein/minerals/vitamins get all they need from the plant world. Most of them, if not all, are not eating the greater portion of their calories from seeds and nuts either. Although these are healthful, there's no need to make them the greatest portion of your diet.
Hi! Thanks so much for your informative response, it is very helpful :) I think my mindset needs to be changed a little regarding protein as I always feel there needs to be a larger protein source with every meal (legume or nuts etc) but as you and Forest Nymph have both mentioned, it seems we can just have mostly veg and still have enough. I do already eat a lot of fibre and have eaten very clean (mostly!) for many years (I was almost fully raw for a year) so I do eat lots of whole foods and fresh fruit and veg but my system does just not like beans at all. I think I am eating way too many nuts and nut butters to compensate and your message has helped loads as I think I now realise maybe I'm a little too protein obsessed.
Thanks again for your support and sharing your knowledge, it has helped me rethink.......:)

Reactions: Emma JC
I too have trouble digesting lentils and chickpeas. gas!
but it was the first week which was disastrous ! :) it seems to me that we have to take very little of it, maybe 2 spoons, in combination with the ad hoc cereal (rice, semolina) and that over time my microbiota changes.
I do not like tofu either, it has no taste, and I'm wary of soy estrogen, being a man.
nevertheless it is out of the question that I come back to eat tortured animals again, and then murdered at the age of adolescence ...
It seems to me that my microbiota adapted to my diet since very small, and that consequently it will take a long time for the changes to take place.
thanks to vegetarianism I have a skin of much better quality. It's impressive. and I'm slowly slimming down too. I do not want the abdominal fat that I created these last two years and I do not want to find a grayish complexion, which happens as soon as I eat animal protein!
it is so impressing that it may be that I have some liver disease, without even knowing it, who knows. I will do some exams.
----
I just read the Nekodaiden post above. That's it !

Last edited: