Puff Pastry-To bake or not to bake .

Blues

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Its something I have never done, but I will be making some puff pastry pies. The pies will be made from frozen puff pastry. Will be making a stack of them, so can I just thaw the puff pastry make the pies and freeze the pies before baking, or do I have to bake the pies then freeze them. :)

Its something I have never done, but I will be making some puff pastry pies. The pies will be made from frozen puff pastry. Will be making a stack of them, so can I just thaw the puff pastry make the pies and freeze the pies before baking, or do I have to bake the pies then freeze them. :)

You always should cook food that has been defrosted, before freezing it once again. ;)

Baked pies freeze perfectly well as long as you place them into a airtight container or ziplock bag.

Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
You always should cook food that has been defrosted, before freezing it once again. ;)

Baked pies freeze perfectly well as long as you place them into a airtight container or ziplock bag.

Thanks 😊 for that was going to freeze unbaked 🤭

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
I would bake first and then freeze but I found this on google...

If making a pie crust from scratch, I would think you could freeze it before baking since they sell frozen unbaked pies.

I feel like an uncooked frozen pie would taste fresher than a thawed cooked pie. Not sure why...I’m kind of making this up as I go along, lol.

I would bake first and then freeze but I found this on google...

If making a pie crust from scratch, I would think you could freeze it before baking since they sell frozen unbaked pies.

I feel like an uncooked frozen pie would taste fresher than a thawed cooked pie. Not sure why...I’m kind of making this up as I go along, lol.

That is correct. ;) I would imagine that the reason why some manufactures sell uncooked bakes is to reduce the overall cost.

I always bake pies before freezing ( you can slightly reduce the baking time) and as long as they are stored in an airtight container (and stored for no more than a few months) they come out just as tasty as freshly baked ones.

That is correct. ;) I would imagine that the reason why some manufactures sell uncooked bakes is to reduce the overall cost.

I always bake pies before freezing (you can slightly reduce the baking time) and as long as they are stored in an airtight container (and stored for no more than a few months) they come out just as tasty as freshly baked ones.
That’s good to know! And I imagine if you freeze it sooner, rather than later, it would taste very fresh, too.

Reactions: PTree15
What are you planning to bake ? :)

Well, to start it will be cashew nuts, silverbeet( miso) I use gluten-free soya sauce, onion, olive oil, and marjoram or oregano, salt and pepper.

I have some gluten-free vegan puffed pastry and will be trying to get them into shapes like this.

1573498189990.png

Strange how some fruit and vegetables obtain names. I think that swiss chard was named after Switzerland due to it's green pastures. However, I don't know how the same vegetable obtained a different name DU ! ;)

I've always been intrigued by a speciality from Nice, which is swiss chard pie or tarte aux blettes. It's a pastry made with swiss chard, apples, raisins and pine nuts plus sugar.
I should have tasted it when I was living there as it's not sold anywhere else and apparently is very tasty. :p