Regional Favorites

In Virginia we're known for Virginia ham, lemon chess pie, peanuts (not so much boiled, those are more southern), biscuits and gravy, and the world's best oysters. Except for the peanuts, I really can't recommend any of them. Virginia ham is incredibly salty, lemon chess pie pales to lemon meringue, and I have never eaten oysters!

In Virginia we're known for Virginia ham, lemon chess pie, peanuts (not so much boiled, those are more southern), biscuits and gravy, and the world's best oysters. Except for the peanuts, I really can't recommend any of them. Virginia ham is incredibly salty, lemon chess pie pales to lemon meringue, and I have never eaten oysters!
I have never eaten oysters, either. They never appealed to me. My dad loves biscuits and gravy, but he's from Indiana, so it's probably a variation of Virginia biscuits and gravy. :D

I think it's funny and interesting that some of us are raving about regional specialties from regions other than our own. :p
That is part of the fun of travel. It's one thing to go to our own local restaurants that offer different ethnicity foods, but it's another level entirely to sample regional treats (like boiled peanuts) that you can't get any other way. It makes them extra special, because they are so localized to that area.

Yesterday I made a nice potato goulash. Another traditional Austrian "poor-people-dish", as the main ingredients are potatoes, onions and peppers, but the meat is replaced with only a little helping of (in my case vegan) sausage for taste.

Creamy Potato Goulash (Erdäpfelgulasch) » Little Vienna
Looks good. I love anything with potatoes as a main part of the dish. I'll have to try this one day. :)

I have never eaten oysters, either. They never appealed to me. My dad loves biscuits and gravy, but he's from Indiana, so it's probably a variation of Virginia biscuits and gravy. :D

I had them quite regularly when I was an omni as I would mainly eat fish and seafood.

I must say that they taste quite nice. However, I could never, ever eat one now.:yuck:

I had them quite regularly when I was an omni as I would mainly eat fish and seafood.

I must say that they taste quite nice. However, I could never, ever eat one now.:yuck:
Yes, oysters Rockefeller were really good.