September Health Challenge (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been useless on the exercise front! I was keeping a log of my exercise and what I was eating and then I thought that I didn't need to do that anymore and it has all gone haywire since then.:D

I am going to make healthy meals tomorrow as I have lots of fresh stuff.

Today's crossfit was pretty awful for me. It's been really hot the last few days, and like an idiot I haven't been drinking any water when I'm not working out. So I started to exercise, and got all dehydrated. Had to sit part of the skill out, and didn't even finish the main workout.

So, another health goal for me:

DRINK SOME WATER YOU SILLY SAUSAGE :argh:

Yes, make sure you keep drinking water. It's been really hot and humid.:pout:

We did our walk at work this morning, but it was so humid. Ick. It's like July out there.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Oh this weather is just so annoying. The heat came back this week and is expected to stay through the weekend. Bleh! I've walked every day, but not for as long or as quickly as I would've had the weather been cooler.

Oh this weather is just so annoying. The heat came back this week and is expected to stay through the weekend. Bleh! I've walked every day, but not for as long or as quickly as I would've had the weather been cooler.
Same here. The intensity of our walk today was not up to par, because it was so humid. The air was thick and heavy. We were sweating like crazy, and we weren't even going at our normal pace. I'm glad we went, though. I want to stay in the exercise groove.

I walked for 35 minutes on the treadmill this morning. The weather is probably the main reason we got a treadmill so we can walk/run at any time. I do like walking outside though when the weather is nice!

I walked for 35 minutes on the treadmill this morning. The weather is probably the main reason we got a treadmill so we can walk/run at any time. I do like walking outside though when the weather is nice!
If I ever get my own place, I'm so getting a treadmill. I am lucky that we have a gym at work, but in the summer and fall, I just love being outside. The gym comes in handy in the winter, though.

I am a little concerned that when the weather turns really cold, I will not be exercising at all. It seems if I don't get to walk outside, I end up doing nothing at all. :(.

The good thing is, my co-worker is so into it, now that I got her started walking with me, that she is very interested in keeping it up during the winter. So even if we only do a half hour during lunch-time, at least I will be getting some type of exercise, even if it is only 4-5 times during the work week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: PTree15
I ran my hour today, and at the end, I started thinking that maybe I'm ready to start training for the half-marathon. I don't know, though on the other hand, I feel like an hour out of the day is enough. Half a 13.1 miles is going to be two hours in the end.

I got to the bottom of the bloody sock dilemma. Pro-Tip: If you're a runner, keep your toenails trimmed short.

I had my first roller derby session in months (the trams are finally fixed!!), and what a session it was! We had a guest coach, all the way from Seattle - the incredible Quadzilla. He ran us through so many drills I thought my legs were going to fall off. By the end, it was almost like I'd had no time off, I felt like I'd made some massive improvements :D

[I'm front and centre, in the orange helmet]:

14364639_10154402398690120_2699000579914864052_n.jpg

And, afterwards, I went food shopping (SO MUCH FRESH VEG), and made a chocolate/banana/peanut butter/soy milk protein smoothie in my new blender (one that attaches directly to a sports bottle so it's quicker to use and clean).

I had my first roller derby session in months (the trams are finally fixed!!), and what a session it was! We had a guest coach, all the way from Seattle - the incredible Quadzilla. He ran us through so many drills I thought my legs were going to fall off. By the end, it was almost like I'd had no time off, I felt like I'd made some massive improvements :D

And, afterwards, I went food shopping (SO MUCH FRESH VEG), and made a chocolate/banana/peanut butter/soy milk protein smoothie in my new blender (one that attaches directly to a sports bottle so it's quicker to use and clean).

Happy crowd.:clp:

Awesome!!!!

The weather was great today, and because I go in later to work (because I work later, lol), I got in a 5-mile walk. It felt good. I did a lot of hills, too. Need to increase the climbing, as I have a hiking trip coming up next month. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I decided that today I would increase my run speed. From 5mph (12 minute mile) to up to 6mph (10 minute mile). I think the 12 minute miles were getting too easy, it stopped feeling like I was pushing myself. The new speed had me huffing about half way through. I ended up running for 35 minutes rather than 60. I'm determined that tomorrow there will be no quitting. I will run at the new speed for the full hour! I feel kind of horrible afterwards when I set out to do something a certain way and then I come up short of achieving my goal.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Awww, Jeremy, you shouldn't feel horrible at all. You are doing a great job! That's a big increase in intensity, so give yourself a break. :D Maybe you could try 11-minute miles instead? That way you could sort of work your way up to the 10-minute pace and still get in your hour without killing yourself too much. :D

Awww, Jeremy, you shouldn't feel horrible at all. You are doing a great job! That's a big increase in intensity, so give yourself a break. :D Maybe you could try 11-minute miles instead? That way you could sort of work your way up to the 10-minute pace and still get in your hour without killing yourself too much. :D
I agree! ((((Jeremy))))

I only had time for a two mile walk at lunchtime and it was too hot. It was a beautiful day but I'm getting tired of walking and sweating, especially when I have to go back to work afterward. I'm looking forward to some 75 degree days. The next three days look good.

I decided that today I would increase my run speed. From 5mph (12 minute mile) to up to 6mph (10 minute mile). I think the 12 minute miles were getting too easy, it stopped feeling like I was pushing myself. The new speed had me huffing about half way through. I ended up running for 35 minutes rather than 60. I'm determined that tomorrow there will be no quitting. I will run at the new speed for the full hour! I feel kind of horrible afterwards when I set out to do something a certain way and then I come up short of achieving my goal.

This is awesome, well done! Don't be so hard on yourself, just look at how much you've achieved in just a few short months :) You'll be killing a 10-minute mile in no time.

I went to CrossFit on Tuesday, and I'm going again tonight. Making some real improvement there - improved my one-rep shoulder press by 2.5kg, and just generally feeling a bit fitter. I've been making all my meals from scratch, chucking as many different fresh veggies as I can into them (I managed 9 different ones last night). Tomorrow, I'm planning on going to the park with some friends to play sports from our childhood (rounders, scatterball, etc.), so that'll be good cardio, and I'm going trampolining on Sunday.

It should just about cancel out the vegan beer festival I'm going to on Saturday :p

I took today off. I worked a lot of hours yesterday and did not get good sleep. I hope to get in a decent walk tomorrow if work isn't ridiculously late tonight (keeping my fingers crossed, lol).

I stopped riding my bicycle to and from work at the end of August. I'd been thinking about going through September, but I've started working out at the YMCA again after taking 3 months off, and doing both is a bit much for me- I tried that the summer before last.

My right knee started bothering me around the beginning of August. I didn't think it was the cycling, because my knee didn't bother me after a ride, but my knee appears to be getting better.

So, another health goal for me:

DRINK SOME WATER YOU SILLY SAUSAGE :argh:

I've been useless on the exercise front! I was keeping a log of my exercise and what I was eating and then I thought that I didn't need to do that anymore and it has all gone haywire since then.

Yes, make sure you keep drinking water. It's been really hot and humid.:pout:
I never have to prod myself to drink water- I guzzle it plain- cold, room temp, whatever. I don;t log what I eat, but I do record what my gym workouts involve, just so I can measure my progress (and figure out how much strength I lost over the summer- waaahhhhh!)

Although actually, I think I hit a wall with my strength workouts- when I tried to push myself too hard I got sore tendons or joints and had to back off. So far, I've been able to do okay taking the summer off and getting back to where I was before in the fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Status
Not open for further replies.