The Cat Lovers Thread

So ******* sad, PVL. Do you know that adult cats hardly ever get adopted?

Honestly, for years now, on two forums, I've tried to cheer you on about actually going veg finally, about working on your marriage...but this is just too much. And you even had your husband do the dirty work, you didn't even go with him? My heart hurts. Sorry to be so blunt, but you had other choices. The decision to give your cats to a shelter was not best, it was not even the tenth best thing you could have done.

So ****ing sad, PVL. Do you know that adult cats hardly ever get adopted?

Honestly, for years now, on two forums, I've tried to cheer you on about actually going veg finally, about working on your marriage...but this is just too much. And you even had your husband do the dirty work, you didn't even go with him? My heart hurts. Sorry to be so blunt, but you had other choices. The decision to give your cats to a shelter was not best, it was not even the tenth best thing you could have done.
I was not feeling well on the day he took the cats to the shelter , we tried many places, we even tried Humanes society they didn't have room, they referred us too our local shelter, they are a no kill shelter that we found. We tried all we can to keep the cats and also we tried everything we can too give them up.. It wasn't going to work out moving them with us because we don't have help, we are limited on funds and hardly no help. IF I stayed in the state moving from and listened to my husband, but anyhow i am not hijacking a nice thread.

Since i moved to Florida in 1991, I always have a big black green-eyed cat who befriends me. We've lived in 4 different places, and in each one, a neighbor's cat hangs around me. I don't feed them, as they are others' cats and I don't have anything suitable in any case. It's interesting; they are always very similar-looking. Big shiny black males with green eyes.

My son was amazed at the latest one (we moved here less than a year ago) because like the others, he comes right up to me and swishes my legs and gets pats (and sneezes...). He ignores the rest of my family. :D

My bedroom window was open today, and I was lying down, not feeling well, and the cat jumped up on the big planter outside my window and put his paws on the window screen! I went outside and sat with him and pet him until he got bored and walked away. I'm allergic, but washed my hands well and took a benadryl.

Isn't that crazy that 4 different cats have kind of adopted me? Makes me happy. :)

Since i moved to Florida in 1991, I always have a big black green-eyed cat who befriends me. We've lived in 4 different places, and in each one, a neighbor's cat hangs around me. I don't feed them, as they are others' cats and I don't have anything suitable in any case. It's interesting; they are always very similar-looking. Big shiny black males with green eyes.

My son was amazed at the latest one (we moved here less than a year ago) because like the others, he comes right up to me and swishes my legs and gets pats (and sneezes...). He ignores the rest of my family. :D

My bedroom window was open today, and I was lying down, not feeling well, and the cat jumped up on the big planter outside my window and put his paws on the window screen! I went outside and sat with him and pet him until he got bored and walked away. I'm allergic, but washed my hands well and took a benadryl.

Isn't that crazy that 4 different cats have kind of adopted me? Makes me happy. :)

Led, I would think that everyone would like to adopt you. :p

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
I'm trying to remember what I did the last time I made friends with some dumped and scared strays.
Once they were used to me being around, I would sit and toss treats to them each day. Over time I would toss the treats closer and closer to me. When they were within petting range I didn't touch them. I wanted them to feel safe being close before trying to touch them. I think I waited about a week or two before trying to pet them. I also brought a ribbon for them to play with. I would wiggle it and they would watch at first. The day they finally started to play with it, I knew they were comfortable with me. :)
Eventually I was able to pet and pick up one of them after about 2 months. The other one took about 6 months to get to where I could pick him up, but I could pet him within 2 months.
Thanks. The idea of playing with the kitty is a good one. Her being young, she is probably still playful. I'll suggest this to my stepfather. Thanks everyone for your replies.

tumblr_mvcsel84Gq1s02vreo1_400.gif

I don’t know why Frank insisted on bringing me to this dinner party, I don’t even know what to talk about and everyone’s already having a conversation, it’d be awkward to butt in. A steakhouse? Really? I’m a pescetarian, Frank. We’ve known each other ten years. Nobody’s even bothered to comment on my coat or offered a tummy rub. Your friends are ****, Frank.

That's awesome. You must have a very entrancing cat aura.

Reactions: ledboots
If I move elsewhere, my pet comes with me.

...or I don't move.

I had a big beautiful black cat named Boon. He was the best most loving big buddy anyone could ever ask for. He had a hard time distiguishing when it was okay to pee on whatever (outside) and when it was not okay to pee on whatever (inside.) I dealt with it - it was just one of those things. He didn't do it all the time - just now and then. He peed on my records, my guitars, their cases, books - he pretty much hit everything I owned at some point. But my love for him never waivered. He was a devoted friend who gave me endless amounts of happiness. I had a girlfriend move in at the time and she thought it was crazy to allow this sort of thing and asked me to either get rid of him or leave him outside. I told her: If he goes - I go - I don't ever want to have this conversation again.

Edit: I should add that 'the girlfriend' ended up loving Boon as much as I did. She later became my wife. Her perspective on cats diametrically changed. She is now as much of an animal freak as I am - and to her credit - the reason I am vegan today.

Last edited:
VV... meet the Reverend. He showed up during a blizzard in December - acted like we knew him; like for years. I picked him up and held him like a baby 2 minutes after I first saw him. So we took him in - kept him isolated from the other cats for awhile, got him neutered and shots. It was our intention to find him a good loving home. But let's face it - he's not going anywhere. The others have accepted him and he has won us over. With that face - it wasn't difficult.

IMG_7907.jpg