The Cat Lovers Thread

1908219_10203146677444632_1702590692_n.jpg

Selina loves that stupid dog toy we got from 7 Psychopaths movie preview.

We had to give up our cats today because the big move up north, I am going to miss them, my husband was heart broken because right when he released them too the county , one of them looked at him why are you doing this to me? It was best .

We had to give up our cats today because the big move up north, I am going to miss them, my husband was heart broken because right when he released them too the county , one of them looked at him why are you doing this to me? It was best .
Released them to the county?? What does that mean? You gave them to a shelter?

My stepfather had been feeding a stray (probably Ferrell) cat for a few months. She had a kitten in the fall with her but the poor little one disappeared. I encouraged him to find a live trap and try to catch her. She knew him enough to sniff at his hand but he couldn't get any closer. Anyway he was able to catch her with a live trap, have her spayed and shots given. He didn't want to release her outside because they have coyotes and other wildlife in the area. He as her in the spare bedroom for a week. Things are going much better than I thought they would. She is using the litter box. My stepfather goes in the room several times a day just to sit in the room with her. He thinks she is just laying around but it's only been a week and this is a big adjustment for her also. The vet thought she is only one year so I think her being younger is an advantage. We know this will take a long time. Anyone have any tips or experience?

Anyone have any tips or experience?

Not really, but I just wanted to say that was a kind thing for him to do.:up: My father-in-law has just done the same with a few cats that lived wild at his business, he closed the business recently so he trapped the cats and brought them to live at his property as he has outside buildings and land for them to live on while he carries on feeding them.:)

My stepfather had been feeding a stray (probably Ferrell) cat for a few months. She had a kitten in the fall with her but the poor little one disappeared. I encouraged him to find a live trap and try to catch her. She knew him enough to sniff at his hand but he couldn't get any closer. Anyway he was able to catch her with a live trap, have her spayed and shots given. He didn't want to release her outside because they have coyotes and other wildlife in the area. He as her in the spare bedroom for a week. Things are going much better than I thought they would. She is using the litter box. My stepfather goes in the room several times a day just to sit in the room with her. He thinks she is just laying around but it's only been a week and this is a big adjustment for her also. The vet thought she is only one year so I think her being younger is an advantage. We know this will take a long time. Anyone have any tips or experience?

My father-in-law has just done the same with a few cats that lived wild at his business, he closed the business recently so he trapped the cats and brought them to live at his property as he has outside buildings and land for them to live on while he carries on feeding them.

Such wonderful stories! Your stepfathers are good people. ;)

It was best .

NO it really wasn't. The best would've been you finding your cats a loving caring home . The best would've been not abandoning (and probably killing) a part of your family.

NO it really wasn't. The best would've been you finding your cats a loving caring home . The best would've been not abandoning (and probably killing) a part of your family.

I agree, I was going to post something earlier but thought this is meant to be a happy thread, but then reading about someone giving up their cats isn't the nicest thing to read about. If I was in that position I would have to ensure that my cats found a good home. I can't think why I would give my cats up in the first place. I would have to be literally dying and have nobody else to look after them. Any other situation and I would beg, borrow, steal, sell drugs or take to prostitution before I let them go.

I agree, I was going to post something earlier but thought this is meant to be a happy thread, but then reading about someone giving up their cats isn't the nicest thing to read about. If I was in that position I would have to ensure that my cats found a good home. I can't think why I would give my cats up in the first place. I would have to be literally dying and have nobody else to look after them. Any other situation and I would beg, borrow, steal, sell drugs or take to prostitution before I let them go.
If I move elsewhere, my pet comes with me.
Exactly.
I'm in the process of looking for a new place to live, and finding a place that will accept 3 cats is proving extremely difficult, but they are my kids and I would never give them up for convenience. I would love to move to Portland, but I think the distance would be too difficult of a move on my elderly cat, so I'm looking locally. We'll probably end up living in a less than ideal place, but that's fine as long as we are together and they are safe there.

Reactions: thefadedone

I'm trying to remember what I did the last time I made friends with some dumped and scared strays.
Once they were used to me being around, I would sit and toss treats to them each day. Over time I would toss the treats closer and closer to me. When they were within petting range I didn't touch them. I wanted them to feel safe being close before trying to touch them. I think I waited about a week or two before trying to pet them. I also brought a ribbon for them to play with. I would wiggle it and they would watch at first. The day they finally started to play with it, I knew they were comfortable with me. :)
Eventually I was able to pet and pick up one of them after about 2 months. The other one took about 6 months to get to where I could pick him up, but I could pet him within 2 months.

Reactions: Kitties
We were insure that they will be alright and they will not be killed and they will be adopted out, we had to get some paper work from the vet to make it easier for them to get adopted out, when I said it was the best it was for my health, i am actually allergic to cats and I been slowly being healed from sinus headaches. There was no way we could've brought them up..