The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

yeah. its mostly the fruit vs vegetable thing.
Which I think is mostly resolved by its context or who is saying it.
Botanists will tell you that the part of the carrot plant we eat is a root.
And botanists will tell you that the part of the tomato plant we eat is a fruit.
but grocers don't really care. they are vegetables unless they are seeds, nuts, grains, berries, or fruits that grow on trees (like apples and oranges).
It's an entertaining debate and probably of interest to 4th graders. But I'm not sure it has much use.

It went to network news, linked to there, because a case involved it that went to the Supreme Court. So, it does have significant use. But as said, everything from plants useful and had for food is a vegetable, the way it originally was meant. Mushrooms are already fully excluded from that, I am one of the few that say I really eat my food all from only plants. Fruits, grains, nuts, and seeds, became recognized as separate categories, for food, they still did not correspond to botanical categories. The plant parts that are botanically fruits or grains are in some cases recognized still as vegetables, so, vegetables is left meaning edible plant parts useful and had for food, but not all of them. They are if they are roots for this, tubers for this, stalks for this, leaves for this, or flowers for this, fruits sometimes for this (but not if sweet!), and grains sometimes for this, and never nuts for this, and never seeds for this. So vegetables is really arbitrary as a category, and there is no basis still in this for mushrooms being included with them. Plants are not opisthokonts, mushrooms and the fungi they are parts from are, and we humans and all animals are opisthokonts with them. Plant-based milks from nuts or grains are still food from plants, and hummus and salsa I get are food from plants as well, so all my food is still really just from plants, and it really is enough for me, I like all the food I am making. I wouldn't want something that I can't distinguish from anything really from any used animal.

Last edited:
That is what I thought it was.
It's watermelon, marinated and grilled. I've tried it and it is more reminisent of grilling flesh than anything I've seen, cause it has that textural look of very rare meat.
It wasn't bad, but I liked it better cold in the sweet, salty, lightly smoky marinade than hot

My point was just that things that people deem 'fake' meats are really just their own opinion, and nothing to do with being 'fake'

Oh dang....it's the non dairy thread!
I'm going to make a cheese sauce for pasta with red lentils and cashew blended with some vegan cheddar
I'll be honest...I had no idea what it was but it looked good. I thought maybe it was in the wrong thread because it didn't look like non dairy dairy lol.

Oh dang....it's the non dairy thread!
I'm going to make a cheese sauce for pasta with red lentils and cashew blended with some vegan cheddar
Well, it's ok. you were responding to @FredVegrox " I wouldn't want something that I can't distinguish from anything really from any used animal."

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC