The flu shot

Actually, shaming is very effective. Hospitals and physicians offices often require employees who decline the flu vaccine to wear masks all the time, even if they don't work in patient care areas. It is like a scarlet letter.

And pediatricians shame parents into getting their children vaccinated all the time.

I was speaking more in the context of this thread, but you make a good point regardless. Shaming is often very effective, depending on the subject. Vegans use it all the time :p against each other mostly. That being said, I am thankful the hospital where I am employed does not stoop this level for individuals like myself who are outside of patient care areas. (At least, they haven't yet.)

Reactions: ledboots
Though - I still come back to this: Technically, if the strain of the vaccine is incorrect - even those getting the shot would also be endangering others. Whereas one may be diligent about getting vaccinated, another who does not, may be better about ensuring they practice good hand hygiene, etc. to ensure they stay healthy. Why should they get society's stank-eye? The healthcare industry would have you believe otherwise, but you can't just throw pills at every ailment.

Lol - whatever that is.
When I used to frequent a political message board, I routinely dropped knowledge bombs. It's sometimes how I describe presenting facts/knowledge to the argument.

Our receptionist had a reaction to the flu shot several years ago so she has been declining the shot. However, last year the state deemed it mandatory the all employees be vaccinated. So last year she wore the mask during flu season. It was quite uncomfortable trying to answer the phone and greet the public all day long.

The interesting thing about it is our nurses refused to vaccinate her and wanted her doctor to administer the vaccine because of her previous reaction to it and the liability factor. That didn't seem fair to me.

This year she did get the flu shot but had a milder reaction to it. Maybe if she continues to get it yearly she will, eventually, not have a problem.

So to continue the saga, I feel like it shouldn't be up to her to have to be vaccinated in this particular instance. If, I, for example, decide I don't want the vaccine, why would it be a receptionist's responsibility to be vaccinated so that she doesn't infect me? I feel like the responsibility should fall on me. Excluding, of course, those who can't get vaccinated because of medical issues. So that pretty much discounts what I just said. Lol. I don't know, I'm totally pro vaccination but I feel bad for people who are forced to get it, I guess.

Reactions: Dedalus
All the people who give experiences thus far involving themselves or someone they know is negative. It sure is convincing.

Our receptionist had a reaction to the flu shot several years ago so she has been declining the shot. However, last year the state deemed it mandatory the all employees be vaccinated. So last year she wore the mask during flu season. It was quite uncomfortable trying to answer the phone and greet the public all day long.

The interesting thing about it is our nurses refused to vaccinate her and wanted her doctor to administer the vaccine because of her previous reaction to it and the liability factor. That didn't seem fair to me.

This year she did get the flu shot but had a milder reaction to it. Maybe if she continues to get it yearly she will, eventually, not have a problem.

So to continue the saga, I feel like it shouldn't be up to her to have to be vaccinated in this particular instance. If, I, for example, decide I don't want the vaccine, why would it be a receptionist's responsibility to be vaccinated so that she doesn't infect me? I feel like the responsibility should fall on me. Excluding, of course, those who can't get vaccinated because of medical issues. So that pretty much discounts what I just said. Lol. I don't know, I'm totally pro vaccination but I feel bad for people who are forced to get it, I guess.
As a nurse I wouldn't vaccinate anyone who had had a prior reaction, either. Often it is an egg allergy, and those can turn anaphylactic in seconds.

No matter what, if she doesn't want any vaccine or med, I am not going to administer it against her will; that is assault.

It kinda sucks that you can't get an egg free flu shot. Part of the reason I don't choose to get them. The egg industry is horrible and I don't want to support them. Another reason is that from hearing about people who got the flu after getting the shot. I have never got the flu shot or the flu

She breaks out in hives, apparently not severe enough to warrant more than taking some Benadryl. I don't think it's the egg in the vaccine...she eats eggs all the time.

I was kind of surprised that she took the vaccine this year and risked the reaction. As annoying as it is, I would just wear the mask.

All the people who give experiences thus far involving themselves or someone they know is negative. It sure is convincing.
Reducing your risk of contracting the flu by 23% is substantial. It's not as effective as a condom is to preventing the spread of STDs, or babies, but it still reduces your chances of harming others. Perhaps if you want less people on the planet, you might consider that a negative.