The Nostalgia Thread

My VCR eats tapes now. I wish I could find someone to fix it, but I don't think there's anyone around anymore who could do it. :(

That's why I was looking into getting a new one, or at least a decently working used one.

They usually do.:D
I have a VCR/DVD combo and I'm so mad the DVD part no longer works. I started watching Game Of Thrones and had to do it on my portable DVD player and now that doesn't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a VCR/DVD combo and I'm so mad the DVD part no longer works. I started watching Game Of Thrones and had to do it on my portable DVD player and now that doesn't work either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me that I had 3 cd players that all broke down. I still have my video player but have put it away as I was planning to buy a DVD player one of these days.

I Remember rotary phones also, and who can forget pay phones? My nephew has no idea what that is since he has never seen one.

It wasn't too long ago that I was using pay phones. At the laundromat. They barely worked last time I used one.
Maybe they'll eventually replace the payphone with something more advanced.

Last edited:
It wasn't too long ago that I was using pay phones. At the laundromat. They barely worked last time I used one.
Maybe they'll eventually replace the payphone with something more advanced.

Those disappeared a while ago, but I remember using them. As a kid I always used to check the coin slots to see if there were any quarters in there. :p

Those disappeared a while ago, but I remember using them. As a kid I always used to check the coin slots to see if there were any quarters in there. :p

I've found a ton of coins in those, once upon a time. On the rare occasion I still come across a pay phone, nothing. Nobody uses pay phones anymore. Even the coin slots of vending machines and pay-to-park machines come up empty since one can use credit and debit cards with most of those.

For those of you confounded by the way things have advanced in your adult life - think about how weird it is for my generation. When we were born, VCRs were the norm, dial-up internet was just starting to be a thing, and the term "palm pilot" was commonplace. My formative years were spent watching as social media took over the regular media, digital screens replaced cathode ray monitors and televisions, and flip phones transitioned to smart phones. It's such a bizarre dynamic and I love that the time when I was born is so radically different from the time I live in now despite it being a less than twenty year gap.

:pAlong with pay phones, who remembers pay toilets???? There were a lot of them around when I was a kid. We actually still had one in this old, rundown public laundromat up until a few years ago! :p

:pAlong with pay phones, who remembers pay toilets???? There were a lot of them around when I was a kid. We actually still had one in this old, rundown public laundromat up until a few years ago! :p
We still have that some places, Paddington station in London comes to mind. I don't think they're entirely a thing of the past yet.

:pAlong with pay phones, who remembers pay toilets????

Those are actually the norm in Germany right now ... at train stations or motorway filling stations.

sanifair.jpg

Granted, they have come a long way, are normally clean and nice, you pay something like 70 ct and get a 50 ct voucher that you can spend in some Restaurants...

It's an amazing thing, combining a train of thought with a good memory. I was watching an episode of I Dream of Jeannie in which Jeannie gives Tony Caruso's voice, and he uses it to shatter a glass. That led me to do a search on breaking a glass with one's singing voice, and one result that came up referenced the old "Is it Live or is it Memorex?" TV commercials. I remembered those commercials, but forgot who was in them. Did another search, and lo and behold, it was Ella Fitzgerald! Since I know @MadamSarcastra is a big Ella fan, these are for her. :D

Reactions: Val
We still have that some places, Paddington station in London comes to mind. I don't think they're entirely a thing of the past yet.

I love Paddington station. It brings back so many nice memories. When I was a teen we used to have fun a do a day trip and manage to travel for free. I certainly wouldn't even dream of doing it now.
I went there during my last trip to London last year and absolutely loved the general atmosphere. We don't get anything that is similar over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
I love Paddington station. It brings back so many nice memories. When I was a teen we used to have fun a do a day trip and manage to travel for free. I certainly wouldn't even dream of doing it now.
I went there during my last trip to London last year and absolutely loved the general atmosphere. We don't get anything that is similar over here.
One time I was at Paddington, I came across an older bloke who was laying on the floor by the aforementioned pay-toilets. He was conscious, but was weak and unable to get up again. Another traveller was sitting by him while I went to get help.

I don't particularly like busy train stations, or any busy travelling hotspots. It's the kind of place where diseases spread, where pick-pocketers thrive, where people are stressed and sometimes rude.

The good thing about Paddington is that I know my way around there, since I've been there so many times. Also, it's sharing the name with Paddington the bear. I wish the place was more like Paddington the bear.

One time I was at Paddington, I came across an older bloke who was laying on the floor by the aforementioned pay-toilets. He was conscious, but was weak and unable to get up again. Another traveller was sitting by him while I went to get help.

I don't particularly like busy train stations, or any busy travelling hotspots. It's the kind of place where diseases spread, where pick-pocketers thrive, where people are stressed and sometimes rude.

The good thing about Paddington is that I know my way around there, since I've been there so many times. Also, it's sharing the name with Paddington the bear. I wish the place was more like Paddington the bear.

I like the statue of Paddington bear and the shop is also quite quaint. I must say that I quite enjoyed the atmosphere both at Paddington and at Marylebone. Most probably because of the strange and unfriendly atmosphere that we have over here. :p