The Nostalgia Thread

I've had a song in my head over the past few days and I just realised it's a song by Bananarama, Love in the First Degree, as I saw in the news that they have reformed. I don't know if they are well known outside of the UK?

I'll stick my neck out and say that they have been spectacularly successful and are well known in the US.

Bananarama was a fun group from what I remember.
Great beats for trampoline exercising, haha.

This will probably invoke the gagging reflex in most of you, lol, but here goes anyway.

Yesterday my grandson made his First Holy Communion. After the ceremony, they crowned the Blessed Virgin Mary (I'm guessing since tomorrow is May 1st). It brought me back to my grammar school days, when we used to crown Mary during the month of May. I was always so excited when it was my turn...I got to make the crown out of flowers. I remember thinking it was so cool. :)

This will probably invoke the gagging reflex in most of you, lol, but here goes anyway.

Yesterday my grandson made his First Holy Communion. After the ceremony, they crowned the Blessed Virgin Mary (I'm guessing since tomorrow is May 1st). It brought me back to my grammar school days, when we used to crown Mary during the month of May. I was always so excited when it was my turn...I got to make the crown out of flowers. I remember thinking it was so cool. :)

I loved May Day too! In grade school each grade learned a dance to celebrate and we had a party outside. The sixth graders got to do the ribbon dance that decorated the flag pole.

Reactions: KLS52
Re: the 80's I took a Jazzercise class back then and had the outfit for it! :D I still have a couple of velour sweatshirts!

It's so fascinating to me that I experienced every single one of these despite being a millennial in every way, and that I was probably on the tail end of the majority of the use of these technologies/popularity of these toys.

I still collect Pokemon cards though.
Good for you! :)

I experienced some of these, but not all of them. And re #3: No, I NEVER got a perfect comic strip picture with my silly putty, no matter how often I tried. :(
LOL, that was the holy grail, getting the perfect Silly Putty comic strip picture. I did a lot of these, but not all. And LOL at pushing down hard on the phone buttons!

38 Odd Jobs That No Longer Exist

There are still milkmen and chimney sweeps, although they're not as ubiquitous as they once were. Necessary Women were so called because privies or outhouses were also called the necessary, back in the 18th century.

And Phrenology as a "science" was debunked about a century ago.

Last edited: