Thoughts about the prom

• Deserving of the hype

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not deserving of the hype

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Never went to one

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
I went to mine, but only as an excuse to cut out early with my friends and get into mischief later on. As far as my parents knew, I was there all evening.

Reactions: Amy SF
We had one. I went. It was ok. As awful as school was for me, I had a good group of friends, and we stuck together and had fun and celebrated our escape in pretty dresses.

My school did have one. I didn't go. Which I got a lot of grief from the teachers, especially the head of year.
For the last few months of school, it was the ultimate weapon of the teachers. If you didn't behave then you would be banned from prom.
Not that I would have done anything to get me banned from prom but yeah, the head of year was really unhappy with me for not wanting to go. I was supposed to join in and be a part of the school community for one last time and blah, blah, blah.

I didn't go. I do NOT wear dresses (or skirts). I didn't say that was the reason why I didn't want to go, but it was. I mean, he may have bent the dress code rules and let me go in trousers if I'd asked but there was several weeks of school left after prom and I'd had nearly 5 years of being called a fat dyke (I didn't come out until I was 18). So I didn't say anything about not wanting to wear a dress because the bullies would have had an absoute field day right before GCSEs.

I had two opportunities to go to prom, and went to neither. The first was when my high school class had its prom. At that time, I did not have a girlfriend, had no access to a car (in an area where you really needed a car to get anywhere), did not know how to dance, etc.
About two or three years later, my sister had a friend named Sharon who also went to our high school and she needed a date for the prom. Sharon was a nice girl, and by that time I had access to a car, but I still did not know how to dance and the prom was in the middle of my college finals. So I begged off, and never took Sharon to the prom. I am slightly sorry for this, since Sharon was a nice girl.

We didn't have proms in Norway ... At least not when I was in school 20 years ago.

Same here in England, well not at my Convent school.:D

We did have a party organised for us at the end of Sixth Form College but it wasn't formal dress or anything. I didn't bother going to that.

I did go to quite a few balls at university and we all dressed up in evening wear.

I went with a friend to his prom at a different school than I attended. We had a big party in NYC for ours since we were a boarding school, dinner and dancing. :) I love to dance, so will take any opportunity, even now at my advanced age. :)

Reactions: Poppy and Amy SF
No prom in Norway when I went to school either. But it's something like 20 years ago too.

I went to my junior and senior proms- with the same woman. It was about 45 years ago, and we didn't get married, but we still touch bases from time to time- she's still a terrific woman.

None of the 3 responses for this poll quite apply to my situation. I think it was fun and I'm glad I went (I also went with a group of kids I was friends with), so maybe it's deserving of the hype to a limited extent... but I would not have been traumatized if I hadn't gone, so I suppose it's highly over-hyped.

Muggle: Good for you for doing what you wanted! It was lousy that anyone tried to give you grief, but if that had been the climate in my school I doubt I would have gone, either.