NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were referring to me, I didn't say half the country is racist in that post, I said the ones who were drawn to Trump because of his racism and sexism would never vote for Hillary unless she spouted similar disgusting things. I'm sure not all of his supporters are racist, sexist, etc, but an overwhelming majority are, and those who aren't, are obviously fine with it, which is equally as bad.

I think that half (minus roughly three million) of the country's voters are O.K. with voting for someone who espouses racist, anti Muslim, etc. viewpoints. Does that make them better than the person espousing those viewpoints?

This is an absolutely perfect response. No way I could say it better.

Another thing to consider: white supremacy isn't just going to Klan meetings and ranting on neo-nazi forums. It's far more subtle and deeply entrenched in the American (and really, the western) psyche than that.

For instance, most white Americans would obviously deny that they were white supremacists. But many of them openly support white supremacist ideology. They justify clearly racist police shootings. They make racist remarks and normalize racist behavior. And they legislate it, too. Anti-immigration rhetoric is everywhere, especially during this election. Laws whose end goal is to segregate schools - Jim Crow laws in all but name - are still super popular. Clump ran on a platform that promised to ban refugees - many of them running away from literal genocide - on the basis that they subscribe to a non-western religion.

If someone dons a hood and burns crosses, they're a white supremacist. If someone hangs out on Stormfront and considers themselves 'alt-right,' they're a white supremacist. If someone supports viewpoints and legislation with an ultimately white supremacist bend, for whatever reason... well, no reason to beat around the bush. They're a white supremacist. Might not be terribly open about it, or even self-aware, but they are.

Maybe they're feeling insecure about the economy. Maybe they're worried about terrorist attacks. Maybe they're uninformed or uneducated or a slew of other reasons someone might support white supremacist rhetoric without believing at heart that white people are superior to other races. The outcome is still the same, and I don't feel sympathy for them.

Reactions: Amy SF
Please keep in mind that the majority of Germans in 1933 were not actively interested in killing Jews or people from other countries. They mainly were cheering for someone who was vowing to "make Germany great again". The rest, as they say, is history....

Dump won because white supremacy is rampant in the US. White supremacist ideals bubbling under the surface of many of his supporters caused him to gain the support he did. White supremacy is inextricably linked to his campaign on every level. By framing his supporters as just a bunch of disgruntled middle class folks annoyed with the shenanigans of the Democratic elite, the insidiousness of his campaign is overlooked, and in doing so there is a major risk of letting white supremacists get away with being white supremacists. Every one of his supporters is either a white supremacist or is willing to let white supremacy slide to accomplish their other goals. That can't be ignored.

The book I mentioned wasn't about Trump, it was about the Democratic party. The man who wrote it is a liberal himself as he said he was going to vote for Hillary Clinton in the book. It just explained the class system in the US in a way that made me understand a lot more. It was what I consider to be constructive criticism of the Democratic party. It explained how some of the working class people (what you call middle) in the US feel like the Democrats have let them down. It is a similar situation to the Labour party in the UK, their traditional working class base have become disillusioned with them.

Through this whole election race I didn't understand why HC was so unpopular, I didn't know why people would consider voting for DT etc... I have felt like I was looking at a puzzle with a missing piece and the book explained it to me.

It also made me realise how I am only communicating with one certain class of American people online. That probably explains why I wasn't getting any more information.:p

You people really think that half the country's voters are white supremicists? How out of touch can you possibly be? What about the black and hispanic voters who voted for someone other than Hillary? Were they sexist, I suppose? Or so stupid we should take away their voting rights?

Yes, some of the people who voted for Trump must have voted for Obama before so they didn't transform into white supremacists overnight. Calling people white supremacists is not a great way of getting them onto your side as well.:D

OK, so half the country are white supremacist.

Your not going to be able to get enough of them to change their worldview. So what's the solution for the Democrats to get back in power?

Pointing fingers and ranting about how awful half the people in the country are is not the solution.

The solution is simple. In addition to dropping identity politics, they need to stop focusing primarily on the priorities of educated Urbanites, and talk to the universal needs of people in general.

Maybe that's not the right solution. But one thing is clear, if they continue down their current path, they will continue to lose.

Last edited:
ETA: Also, are you really claiming that women can't be misogynists? That people of color are never biased against people of color? Because I bet you that you've encountered people like that in your life (I sure have in mine), and if you haven't, I can cite you studies as well as examples.

This is a really interesting point. Internalized sexism and internalized racism are so insidious that most people have no idea that they have it. They may even identify as being feminist or pro-equality.

I agree with Katrina but I would say internalizm sexism/racism is not a yes/no thing in my view. We need to step away from this idea that you either are or aren't a racist and that if you are that is some terrible thing that means you must be ostracized from the rest of us who are perfect and have no prejudices. Many of us, perhaps most of us, have some innate racism or sexism to a greater or lesser extent.

To take the example of homophia, is it homophobic to go to a gay bar by mistake and feel uncomfortable and decide to quickly drink one drink and not catch anyone's eye and leave? Or turn around before ordering? Perhaps you are supportive of gay rights but would worry about being seen in a gar bar and people mistake you for being gay? Perhaps you are in favour of gay marriage, but say you that don't expect to have any gay friends because in practice your interests (like football and rugby) seem to be different to those of the gay people you have met? Would this make someone homophobic?

To take the example of sexism, perhaps you support the idea of a higher % of top politicians and business people being women, but you feel that it will never realistically reach 50%, and that you do feel that in practice a mother should be with her children at home - at the very least for the first few years, since a man cannot in truth respond to young children's needs as well, and you don't want to trust your children to a stranger (nana). You say that you support feminism but don't do anything in practice to do so. When your son comes home from school, you ask him jokingly who are the best looking girls in the class, but don't ask him who are the kindest, or most intelligent girls. Would such a person be sexist? If yes, would it be productive to say that to them?

To take the example of racism, perhaps you feel more uncomfortable as a white person in a predominantly black neighbourhood. You walk through a bit quickly and want to get out of there. You worry people are looking at you. You've heard that there may be some anti-white sentiment in this neighbourhood, and someone told you the crime rates are higher. You get out of there and back to your predominanthly white neighbourhood. You feel more comfortable as a result. You don't support the black lives matter movement not because you don't support equality for blacks but because you don't like the specific way they go about certain things and have heard that there was some violence at their rallies. You think they are the ones polarizing the issue and it should not be about blacks vs whites but just equality for everyone. Would such a person be racist? If they are, would it be helpful to call them that and cut them off?

I think the progress is made by polite dialogue over time, accepting that it is slow.

Perhaps most racists/sexists are better engaged with to change and improve things steadily rather than put in a box and ostracized. The number of them who are truly awful and perhaps better not engaging with is probably the minority.

How could she possibly sway voters that were drawn to Trump because of his racism and hate? Promise to be even more racist? The reason the majority of people voted for her was because she was the opposite, and had real plans that would have benefited vast majority of us. She would have had to have been even more horrendous and therefore lost all those who did vote for her. It was a no win situation.
No, this is obviously wrong. Yes, she couldn't sway voters who voted for Trump mainly because of his support for racism, white supremacy, hate rhetoric and such. However, this is only one of the groups that voted for him. There are others, such as those who always vote Republican because of their economic policies, supposed "small government" etc. Then there is a large group of clueless voters who are drawn by fake or heavily biased news stories, or confusion or irrational reasons. (This is just my impression, but the clueless group seems especially large in the US compared to many other developed western nations!) Also, importantly, there are those who either didn't vote, or voted for other candidates. Apathy among the Democratic base has been suggested as the reason Clinton lost: What does voter turnout tell us about the 2016 election?

I agree with Katrina but I would say internalizm sexism/racism is not a yes/no thing in my view. We need to step away from this idea that you either are or aren't a racist and that if you are that is some terrible thing that means you must be ostracized from the rest of us who are perfect and have no prejudices. Many of us, perhaps most of us, have some innate racism or sexism to a greater or lesser extent.

Internalized sexism/racism isn't the same thing as regular sexism/racism. I guess you could make a comparison, but that's not what I was going for, just to be clear. Nor were my comments meant to criticize those with internalized misogyny/racism.

I'll agree that it's more of a scale than a straight yes or no thing. Trump's opinion of women/minorities is extremely negative, so he scores high on the scale. Other folks are more in the middle or on the low end.

Last edited:
Reactions: FortyTwo
To take the example of homophia, is it homophobic to go to a gay bar by mistake and feel uncomfortable and decide to quickly drink one drink and not catch anyone's eye and leave? Or turn around before ordering? Perhaps you are supportive of gay rights but would worry about being seen in a gar bar and people mistake you for being gay? Perhaps you are in favour of gay marriage, but say you that don't expect to have any gay friends because in practice your interests (like football and rugby) seem to be different to those of the gay people you have met? Would this make someone homophobic?

Not sure if these questions are meant to be rhetorical, but I'll go ahead and answer some of these. IMO, it's not homophobic to think gay people don't like football, but it's certainly ignorant to buy into those stereotypes. And I don't see why it matters if people think you're gay. Is that homophobic? That's a grey area.... if you're secure with your own sexuality, then it shouldn't really matter to you what people think. At the same time, if you're in a homophobic community, it's understandable to not want negative attention/violence from others.

To take the example of sexism, perhaps you support the idea of a higher % of top politicians and business people being women, but you feel that it will never realistically reach 50%
That's not sexist. That's just an opinion about society.

and that you do feel that in practice a mother should be with her children at home - at the very least for the first few years, since a man cannot in truth respond to young children's needs as well, and you don't want to trust your children to a stranger (nana).
It's fine to feel that way about your own family, if that's what you think works best in your own situation. However, I don't think it's fair to generalize that to all families everywhere. To make that generalization is actually more sexist towards men than it is towards women. Plenty of men make great fathers and do well as single-fathers. Also, not all women have the temperament to be stay at home moms. There are some situations where it would actually be better for the father to stay at home instead.

You say that you support feminism but don't do anything in practice to do so. When your son comes home from school, you ask him jokingly who are the best looking girls in the class, but don't ask him who are the kindest, or most intelligent girls. Would such a person be sexist? If yes, would it be productive to say that to them?
I wouldn't criticize someone based simply on this one interaction. It depends how you approach the topic in general, how do you talk about women in general, etc.

To take the example of racism, perhaps you feel more uncomfortable as a white person in a predominantly black neighbourhood. You walk through a bit quickly and want to get out of there. You worry people are looking at you. You've heard that there may be some anti-white sentiment in this neighbourhood, and someone told you the crime rates are higher. You get out of there and back to your predominanthly white neighbourhood. You feel more comfortable as a result.
If it has a higher crime rate, then you should avoid it. There are areas in my city that have higher crime rates and most of the people are white. I still avoid it.

You don't support the black lives matter movement not because you don't support equality for blacks but because you don't like the specific way they go about certain things and have heard that there was some violence at their rallies. You think they are the ones polarizing the issue and it should not be about blacks vs whites but just equality for everyone. Would such a person be racist? If they are, would it be helpful to call them that and cut them off?
Ehhh.... I wouldn't call them a racist, but those opinions make me feel really uncomfortable, so yeah I would probably change the subject.

I think the progress is made by polite dialogue over time, accepting that it is slow.
Agreed.

Perhaps most racists/sexists are better engaged with to change and improve things steadily rather than put in a box and ostracized. The number of them who are truly awful and perhaps better not engaging with is probably the minority.
Who should engage with them, and what do you consider to be truly awful?

Last edited:
No, this is obviously wrong. Yes, she couldn't sway voters who voted for Trump mainly because of his support for racism, white supremacy, hate rhetoric and such. However, this is only one of the groups that voted for him. There are others, such as those who always vote Republican because of their economic policies, supposed "small government" etc. Then there is a large group of clueless voters who are drawn by fake or heavily biased news stories, or confusion or irrational reasons. (This is just my impression, but the clueless group seems especially large in the US compared to many other developed western nations!) Also, importantly, there are those who either didn't vote, or voted for other candidates. Apathy among the Democratic base has been suggested as the reason Clinton lost: What does voter turnout tell us about the 2016 election?

From what I noticed anecdotally was that the Affordable Care Act seemed to be a major source of friction too.

I agree with most of this. Democrats are notoriously lazy when it comes to voting, and it greatly pisses me off. And yes, we have a large group of 'everything's a conspiracy' and 'the sky is falling' people, who will solely believe the fake news stories. The Democrats don't play as dirty as the Republicans with releasing terrible fake news, so they'll never win over that group either.

We need to get more Democrats off their asses into the voting booths, as well as get rid of the electoral college, and possibly sway that thin margin of Republicans that think for themselves and usually vote Republican, but will vote for the better candidate if they happen to be Democrat, like some did this election.

And, although I'm making it sound like i'm a diehard Democrat and they can do no wrong, if our party had run someone like Trump, chances are I would have voted Republican, and never identified as a Democrat again.

Reactions: Second Summer
I wouldn't be sorry if Roe v. Wade were overturned (although contraceptives would have to be made more reliable, and probably more accessible as well, if that were to work properly)... but the rest of this Trump agenda would definitely be a huge leap backward. Making health care less accessible and/or denying same-sex couples marriage equality: not pro-life.

Your statement makes no sense. The same people who want to overturn Roe v. Wade and make abortion completely illegal again also want to get rid of all kinds of contraception and make those illegal as well. It's all part of their push to make healthcare less accessible to everyone, but ESPECIALLY women. They want to return women to the days of being barefoot and pregnant and having lots of kids that keep them at home where they "know their place". This has been a wet dream of the religious right, in concert with the Republican Party, for years. They see their chance now thanks to Donald Trump and a Republican majority in Congress, who will then make sure that SCOTUS has a conservative majority willing to rule on cases the way they want.
My statement did make sense (to me), although I know most people here want abortion to remain legally accessible and don't agree. I didn't state it as clearly as I had thought.

I was trying to say that most people trying to fight abortion are going about it all wrong by not supporting or flat-out opposing contraception, which would help prevent those pregnancies which women might want to terminate in the first place. Also, anti-abortionists' usual hangups over same-sex marriage would indicate that they are anti-sex rather than pro-life (same-sex couples have a fantastic method of avoiding pregnancy! No pregnancy, no abortion... so... what's the problem here?) Finally, health care for those already born is just as important as protecting a child before birth.

I can be pro-life without buying into the rest of the politically-rightist or religious fundamentalist agenda. Unfortunately, when it comes to voting, I often have no good options. There is something called the Consistent Life Ethic, which I (and some others) believe in, but political candidates who believe in it are few and far between. And since even some CLE people appear to have problems with artificial contraception, I'm not entirely happy with them either.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
I really hadn't decided how I felt about abortion until I found I was pregnant. I made a decision to go through with my pregnancy and raise the baby, and it was that time that unquestionably made up my mind.
To disallow abortion is every bit as wrong as any enslavement, or emotional and physical torture. It's not the 'life' inside the woman that lives, it is the woman.
I don't wonder why all other rights go away when a woman can't have rights to her own body.
Since you're 'pro-life' do you feel every one should be tested to determine if they're a compatible kidney or liver donor, and should be required to become a living donor to save a life?
Think of all the representational tombstones we could erect to symbolize those lives cut short by people too selfish to save them! I see that as a "consistent life ethic" (please don't use the letters CLE- my town is Cleveland-CLE)

Last edited:
OK, so half the country are white supremacist.

Your not going to be able to get enough of them to change their worldview. So what's the solution for the Democrats to get back in power?

Pointing fingers and ranting about how awful half the people in the country are is not the solution.

It might be! Making white supremacists afraid to express their disgusting beliefs, and de-normalizing their rhetoric, can only come about by shaming them and discouraging them through whatever means necessary. Anything to make sure they understand that **** isn't okay. You're right that pointing fingers won't do much, but the idea is that hopefully the finger pointing would lead to, well, some further action.

The solution is simple.

Ehhhhhhhhh.

In addition to dropping identity politics, they need to stop focusing primarily on the priorities of educated Urbanites, and talk to the universal needs of people in general.

Politicians are always going to be elite and out of touch, barring a complete overhaul of the system. Which, again, I think we desperately need. But that doesn't seem possible or probable right now, so we have to work with what we've got. And what we've got are out of touch elites who can occasionally be lobbied into doing the right thing.

On one hand, this is totally correct. We need to be able to educate people who mean well but don't know **** instead of ostracizing them. On the other hand... I mean, it's 2016. If you're ignorant it's willful. There are so many resources on the internet it's overwhelming.

For the record, I would never claim to be perfect and have no prejudices. I'm white, I was raised by white people in a predominantly white society that promotes white supremacy in its very framework. Some of that ****'s still in there and is gonna take a while to shake out. Same goes for the fact that I'm a guy. There are some experiences I will just never understand.

The issue generally comes from people refusing to acknowledge this in themselves, not people who admit they have an imperfect understanding of social injustices.

There's a lot to unpack here, but first, can I just say, I love the term "gar bar" and I'm going to use it whenever possible.

To start: pretty much everything you just said here is homophobic. It's not irredeemable, but man, are those some bad assumptions. If you're worried about people thinking you're gay for any reason other than your safety (for instance, I wouldn't fault a regularly flamboyant straight guy for abstaining from his colorful behavior on a trip to Russia out of fear he'd be mistaken as gay and targeted) then you're homophobic. You're considering this as a lesser status and an undesirable one. It doesn't mean you hate gay people, or that you're going out of your way to be a dick, but it does mean you have this imprinted idea in your head that being gay is something to be ashamed of and you don't want people to think that you are. And that doesn't make you a horrible person - I mean, that's what society has been telling you for years, in everything from media to politics to socialized norms. But recognizing this, and fighting against that assumption whenever it comes up in your head, is what helps you to not just be neutral, but actively non-homophobic.

To take the example of sexism, perhaps you support the idea of a higher % of top politicians and business people being women, but you feel that it will never realistically reach 50%, and that you do feel that in practice a mother should be with her children at home - at the very least for the first few years, since a man cannot in truth respond to young children's needs as well, and you don't want to trust your children to a stranger (nana). You say that you support feminism but don't do anything in practice to do so. When your son comes home from school, you ask him jokingly who are the best looking girls in the class, but don't ask him who are the kindest, or most intelligent girls. Would such a person be sexist? If yes, would it be productive to say that to them?

I can't comment on the specifics of this because I'm a man and it's not really my place, but you seem to have this idea that microaggressions aren't worth calling out. "Does committing a microaggression against [community] mean you're prejudiced against them?" Yes. Obviously. It doesn't mean you're David Duke, but it means you've got some **** to unpack and take a closer look at. It shouldn't be overlooked just because it's not the most insidious evil.

To take the example of racism, perhaps you feel more uncomfortable as a white person in a predominantly black neighbourhood. You walk through a bit quickly and want to get out of there. You worry people are looking at you. You've heard that there may be some anti-white sentiment in this neighbourhood, and someone told you the crime rates are higher. You get out of there and back to your predominanthly white neighbourhood. You feel more comfortable as a result. You don't support the black lives matter movement not because you don't support equality for blacks but because you don't like the specific way they go about certain things and have heard that there was some violence at their rallies. You think they are the ones polarizing the issue and it should not be about blacks vs whites but just equality for everyone. Would such a person be racist?

Yes. Obviously.

If they are, would it be helpful to call them that and cut them off?

Not if you just told them that they're wrong and nothing else. You have to explain to them why they're wrong, and what they can do to correct it. If they understand it's shitty behavior and still keep doing it, then there's not much more that can be done, other than making sure they feel the consequences of that behavior.

This isn't false, but it doesn't mean overlooking gross behavior or letting societal evils slide just because the person committing them isn't literally Hitler. Everyone can improve. And if they understand that they're hurting people and still refuse to improve, then they are, well, you know. Actually evil. And they need to be stopped. That's probably a minority but they're clearly an influential minority, and the people who theoretically might improve if they were talked to nicely just helped put a lot of them in power, for whatever individual reasons they had. Hence why it's kind of hard to be nice.

I agree with most of this. Democrats are notoriously lazy when it comes to voting, and it greatly pisses me off. And yes, we have a large group of 'everything's a conspiracy' and 'the sky is falling' people, who will solely believe the fake news stories. The Democrats don't play as dirty as the Republicans with releasing terrible fake news, so they'll never win over that group either.

We need to get more Democrats off their asses into the voting booths, as well as get rid of the electoral college, and possibly sway that thin margin of Republicans that think for themselves and usually vote Republican, but will vote for the better candidate if they happen to be Democrat, like some did this election.

And, although I'm making it sound like i'm a diehard Democrat and they can do no wrong, if our party had run someone like Trump, chances are I would have voted Republican, and never identified as a Democrat again.

Definitely. I agree with this whole thing. Democrats are not an inherently good party. They're the closest to what I believe, but that's kind of like saying Mars is closer to Neptune than Earth. Technically yes, but the distance they'd have to go is absurd.

And it's totally possible for a demagogue to rise up like that. I can't imagine a conservative demagogue would get much support in the Democratic party, but if someone like Clump was with the Democrats, I'd do everything in my power to prevent them from getting into office.

Status
Not open for further replies.