NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary Clinton should have earned the support of more of the left. She failed to.
How? By making grand campaign promises that had no possible way of being fulfilled? Saying whatever she thought they wanted to hear like the other candidates did, instead of what could realistically be accomplished? Or making up fake news stories? Yep, she made the mistake of being practical and honest.

Reactions: Amy SF
Yes, because the left was too busy fellating itself with the fantasy that a third party candidate could ever become President.
If a draft-dodging dickhole with no political experience can become president, then surely a third-party candidate can become president. Regardless, Hillary Clinton failed to earn more support from the Left. Choosing Tim Kaine as her running mate, for example, was an effort to garner support from reasonable Republicans who considered the reality star with a dead rodent on his head too extreme.

Reactions: Wolfie
If a draft-dodging dickhole with no political experience can become president, then surely a third-party candidate can become president.

Not from the left. If anything, this election should have taught everyone the power and the enthusiasm of those who want a return to the white boys' club of the fifties.

Don't forget that the left has been the subject of witch hunts in this country, never the far right.

Although, if you're right and I'm wrong, we should surely see that in the next couple of elections, as the left comes together and gains power. :cool:

If a draft-dodging dickhole with no political experience can become president, then surely a third-party candidate can become president. Regardless, Hillary Clinton failed to earn more support from the Left. Choosing Tim Kaine as her running mate, for example, was an effort to garner support from reasonable Republicans who considered the reality star with a dead rodent on his head too extreme.

If Chump had been a third party candidate, he would not have become president.

It's not that a third party candidate becoming President would be out of left field, like a sort of "what are the odds?" thing like this election. It would be literally statistically impossible.

This next election, though? Who even knows. The political climate is going to be an alien planet from here on out.

The continued insistence that third parties are ever going to accomplish anything barring a complete overhaul of the system (which, don't get me wrong, I think we're about to see something like that. But up until this point, definitely not) annoys me so much, especially after what happened with this election.

It's made even worse by the fact that every third party candidate this year was absolute garbage. You cannot tell me that Jill Stein would have made a good President. She'd be a better one than Clump but so would a literal inanimate pile of dung. And then there's Johnson, who I'm convinced doesn't know what taxes are.

If you're gonna protest vote, then fine. I mean, it's not fine, it's actually incredibly irresponsible, but it's your choice. At least call it what it is.

You cannot tell me that Jill Stein would have made a good President. She'd be a better one than Clump but so would a literal inanimate pile of dung. And then there's Johnson, who I'm convinced doesn't know what taxes are.

Jill Stein and Gary Johnson were both awful candidates. Bernie Sanders was the only decent candidate this election, and he lost, as a Democrat.

If you're gonna protest vote, then fine. I mean, it's not fine, it's actually incredibly irresponsible, but it's your choice. At least call it what it is.
I voted for Karl Marx, in a state where I could have voted for Hillary Clinton 500,000 times and it wouldn't have made a difference. It also would have meant that I'd have voted for someone whose policies I don't agree with.

Reactions: Wolfie
Jill Stein and Gary Johnson were both awful candidates. Bernie Sanders was the only decent candidate this election, and he lost, as a Democrat.

There was still a clear choice here, though, one that wouldn't result in a Trump presidency.

I voted for Karl Marx, in a state where I could have voted for Hillary Clinton 500,000 times and it wouldn't have made a difference. It also would have meant that I'd have voted for someone whose policies I don't agree with.

I mean, that's fair, given that the swing states were the real issue here. But voting for Karl Marx is an amount of unhelpful that's hard to put into words. You may as well just not vote.

• Disagree
Reactions: ledboots
I'd also just like to say, again: voting isn't about choosing someone you totally agree with and want to be the President in a best case scenario. It's a purely mechanical thing. Feeling 100% good about politics is a privilege, and feeling privileged enough to vote for a protest or joke candidate helps no one except yourself. And even then it's only a sort of temporary instant gratification fuzzy feeling.

Spang, I don't think you in your present situation are one of the people who really need to hear this, given that you clearly live in a blue state. But it's a troubling mindset, and that same mindset in people in swing states is partially responsible for this nightmare scenario. How many votes did Harambe get, do you think? Giant Meteor? Your vote for Karl Marx was exactly as valuable and worthwhile as those. I'm not trying to be a dick or shame you after the fact - what's done is done - but I really hope when the next election comes around, you make a practical decision that might actually have some positive impact, whether it's statistical or ideological. Especially if you find yourself voting from a swing state.

• Disagree
Reactions: Wolfie and ledboots
And again, we already have a thread dedicated to litigating (and apparently endlessly re-litigating) the 2016 election.

Why is the moderation of what's "off topic" for a thread so inconsistent? The moderators' personal axes to grind?

There's definately something to the argument that you should vote for the best candidate as you see it, even if they are a third party candidate. I don't think this is a clear cut argument one way or the other.

Dismissing third party candidates makes more sense short term. Long term it's possible that a third party could provide a Presidential candidate, say if they get 10% of the vote in the next election, and steadily build that up to 35% 50 years from now. So voting third party candidates could be playing the long game. It's not likely a third party candidate will be President within the next 50 years, but you just never know.

There's definately something to the argument that you should vote for the best candidate as you see it, even if they are a third party candidate. I don't think this is a clear cut argument one way or the other.

Dismissing third party candidates makes more sense short term. Long term it's possible that a third party could provide a Presidential candidate, say if they get 10% of the vote in the next election, and steadily build that up to 35% 50 years from now. So voting third party candidates could be playing the long game. It's not likely a third party candidate will be President within the next 50 years, but you just never know.
It's doubtful they would have much of a country to run if it meant putting people like Trump in office in the meantime.

I'd also just like to say, again: voting isn't about choosing someone you totally agree with and want to be the President in a best case scenario. It's a purely mechanical thing. Feeling 100% good about politics is a privilege, and feeling privileged enough to vote for a protest or joke candidate helps no one except yourself. And even then it's only a sort of temporary instant gratification fuzzy feeling.

I disagree with Hillary Clinton's policies. In fact, I despise many of them. She's a capitalist in bed with Wall Street and a bigger war hawk than most neocons. She doesn't really care about Black people, Muslims or Latinos. She doesn't care about the working class. She cares about her wealthy donors and maintaining the status quo.

And let's not forget the scumbag she's good friends with:

13406922_10209212160558179_6401786416629433903_n.jpg

Spang, I don't think you in your present situation are one of the people who really need to hear this, given that you clearly live in a blue state.

I live in Tennessee.

I disagree with Hillary Clinton's policies. In fact, I despise many of them. She's a capitalist in bed with Wall Street and a bigger war hawk than most neocons. She doesn't really care about Black people, Muslims or Latinos. She doesn't care about the working class. She cares about her wealthy donors and maintaining the status quo.

And let's not forget the scumbag she's good friends with:

13406922_10209212160558179_6401786416629433903_n.jpg

I live in Tennessee.

You should be happy she didn't win, then.

Of course the "scumbag" she's good friends with DID win, but not having voted for the candidate you despise, your conscience is clear, right? :rolleyes:

You should be happy she didn't win, then.

No, I shouldn't.

Of course the "scumbag" she's good friends with DID win...

Yes, and it's important that we blame the people who voted for a gorilla, a dead Marxist, or a third-party candidate, and the people who didn't vote at all, not the flawed and unpopular candidate, nor the political party that did everything in its power to ensure that she be the nominee. Let's also take it easy on the corporate media that normalized and empowered her opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.