NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and other Republican leaders think a president may say or do and still deserve their enthusiastic support? We offer this handy reference list in hopes of protecting them from charges of hypocrisy in the future. They can consult it should they ever feel tempted to insist on different standards for another president. So, herewith, the Congressional Republican’s Guide to Presidential Behavior.

If you are the president, you may freely:

• attack private citizens on Twitter

• delegitimize federal judges who rule against you

• refuse to take responsibility for military actions gone awry

• fire the F.B.I. chief in the middle of his expanding investigation into your campaign and your associates

• accuse a former president, without evidence, of an impeachable offense

• employ top aides with financial and other connections to a hostile foreign power

• blame the judiciary, in advance, for any terror attacks

• call the media “the enemy of the American people”

• demand personal loyalty from the F.B.I. director

• threaten the former F.B.I. director

• accept foreign payments to your businesses, in possible violation of the Constitution

• occupy the White House with the help of a hostile foreign power

• intimidate congressional witnesses

• allow White House staff members to use their personal email for government business

• neglect to fill thousands of crucial federal government positions for months

• claim, without evidence, that millions of people voted illegally

• fail to fire high-ranking members of your national security team for weeks, even after knowing they lied to your vice president and exposed themselves to blackmail

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/13/...-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region&_r=0

President Trump reportedly eschews exercise because he believes it drains the body’s “finite” energy resources, but experts say this argument is flawed because the human body actually becomes stronger with exercise.

Trump’s views on exercise were mentioned in a New Yorker article this month and in “Trump Revealed,” The Washington Post’s 2016 biography of the president, which noted that Trump mostly gave up athletics after college because he “believed the human body was like a battery, with a finite amount of energy, which exercise only depleted.”
Trump thinks that exercising too much uses up the body’s ‘finite’ energy

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the level of intelligence of the man sitting in the Oval Office.

Last edited:
Interesting article about how easily dt is swayed by the last piece of information handed to him, even when it's completely false, and how the various WH factions use this fact to further their respective power bases: How Trump gets his fake news

The Video That Suggests Trump Is Suffering from Alzheimer's

Alex Leo of the Daily Beast transcribed one sentence Trump delivered at a campaign stop in South Carolina; a series of dead ends, unfinished thoughts and ramblings:

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you're a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it's true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that's why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my, like, credentials all the time, because we're a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it's not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it's four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger, fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven't figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so you know, it's gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

Last edited:
Thomas Wright of the Brookings Institution tells me: “This is quite literally the sum of all fears. For the past few months, we have heard that Trump is normalizing. It is nonsense. There are some sensible people around him working around the clock to avert catastrophe but ultimately he is in charge and he will do what he wants, no matter how mad.” He adds, “We are blind and dancing on the precipice.”

Opinion | Bombshell: Trump tells secrets to Russia

There's a very interesting piece in the NYTimes. Here are some excerpts:

Mr. Trump’s appetite for chaos, coupled with his disregard for the self-protective conventions of the presidency, have left his staff confused and squabbling. And his own mood, according to two advisers who spoke on the condition of anonymity, has become sour and dark, turning against most of his aides — even his son-in-law, Jared Kushner — and describing them in a fury as “incompetent,” according to one of those advisers.

There is a fear among some of Mr. Trump’s senior advisers about leaving him alone in meetings with foreign leaders out of concern he might speak out of turn. General McMaster, in particular, has tried to insert caveats or gentle corrections into conversations when he believes the president is straying off topic or onto boggy diplomatic ground.

This has, at times, chafed the president, according to two officials with knowledge of the situation. Mr. Trump, who still openly laments having to dismiss his first national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, has groused that General McMaster talks too much in meetings, and the president has referred to him as “a pain,” according to one of the officials.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

And unfortunately, it's probably not a crime, because the POTUS has broad discretion to "declassify" information.

I'm expecting resounding silence from those who were most vocal about Hillary's emails.
The double standard is astonishing. What will it take to get him out of office? Grrrrrr.

President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. The memo was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence a continuing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.

Mr. Comey shared the existence of the memo with senior F.B.I. officials and close associates. The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey’s associates read parts of the memo to a Times reporter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html

C_8YfPAVYAAkDPq.jpg:large

Thank you, Rachel Maddow! :clap: Caught this earlier tonight....
money

Those are both very interesting stories, but I don't think we have Rachel to thank for them. The WaPo broke the first one, and the NY Times the second one.

Early in dt's presidency, my sister and I talked about how to most effectively spend money combating this administration's policies (most of our spending is on animal related issues), and we ultimately decided to get subscriptions to both the WaPo and the NY Times. I must say, we have been pleased with that investment - they are both doing a remarkable job of investigative reporting.

money

Those are both very interesting stories, but I don't think we have Rachel to thank for them. The WaPo broke the first one, and the NY Times the second one.

Early in dt's presidency, my sister and I talked about how to most effectively spend money combating this administration's policies (most of our spending is on animal related issues), and we ultimately decided to get subscriptions to both the WaPo and the NY Times. I must say, we have been pleased with that investment - they are both doing a remarkable job of investigative reporting.
I don't have a smart-phone... I was at Jer's, happened to be downstairs when he was watching streaming MSNBC for Maddow's show, was there when she got the latest breaking story.... I was just thankful to have been watching at that moment. Hell, yeah, I thanked Rachel Maddow... because she happened to be on at the moment, I have no internet access on anything when I'm over there.

We get the daily New York Times, not Sunday.... Agreed on the reporting, I've always trusted NYT... excellent crossword puzzles, too.... :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.