Advertisement

They won't let me go vegan

Discussion in 'Support' started by Llama, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Queen of Strawberries
    Cold

Queen of Strawberries Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    you're so welcome!
    and with the being afraid thing - I get that. You just have to keep reminding myself that (1) if eating that food makes you afraid that's the perfect way to kick your eating disorder to Timbuktu (unless you live there in which case kick it to the moon) and (2) let's just be honest: food made with oil, or sugar tastes dang good and carbs are amazing for energy and taste great! (My eating disorder made me try to go keto and that was the worst three weeks of my life)
    #sorryforwhatisaidwheniwasundercarbed
    (ps. I don't eat energy balls very often but now you make me want to have some:yummy mom used to make these chickpea and peanut butter ones - but I don't have the recipe.:sob:)
    Hope you have a great day!

2. Forest Nymph
    Musical

Forest Nymph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +739 / 1 / -16
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    @Llama I love that recipe. I'm getting a food processor, I also want an instant pot, but the food processor makes things like energy balls and cashew cheese so much easier to make. Tart cherries are bomb!

3. Lou
    Studious

Lou Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,029 / 4 / -7
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

I'm going to have to try those.
    My go to energy balls is something like this recipe
    https://www.texanerin.com/peanut-butter-protein-balls/

4. Rory17

Rory17 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Hi ,
    Your parents probably have your best interests at heart. Please be nice to them. They are sentient beings, too. They likely care about you and love you greatly.
    I support your decision to go vegan. I’m, maybe, 95% vegan. I would give you a hug .
    Maybe try doing some more research and asking your doctor for their advice re veganism and anorexia. If they say that it is okay, please kindly tell your parents this. After this, do some more research online about how to be a healthy vegan and how veganism can be very healthy for you and have health benefits. There is a page on the nursing degree website about the health benefits of veganism that may be of help to you. Look up “nursing degree health benefits of veganism” on Goodsearch*. Get the books “Living Vegan for Dummies” and “How to go vegan” by Veganuary off of Amazon Smile**. Read these and do plenty of research through reliable sources, such as looking at reliable websites using Goodsearch (you could even search “anorexic vegan” to find out advice and information about anorexia and veganism), reading vegan books and talking to vegans.
    Please then present your parents with the facts in a kind way that you feel will be effective and right for you as well. Try to kindly persuade them to let you go vegan. Present and explain your reasons for wanting to go vegan kindly in a way and time that you feel will be effective and right for you and your parents.
    I hope you can go vegan safely and healthily and that you can persuade your parents to let you do so.
    Thank you to the moon and back.
    Best wishes,
    Rory.
    Have the best day and night ever!

5. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +557 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Carbs and starches overlap and yet they can be very different. Carbs can include unhealthy foods like donuts and cakes and other sugary/oily processed foods while starches(carbs) are good foods like rice, whole grain breads, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, oats, corn, bananas, beans, lentils, root vegetables - these are great for you and for your brain/cells and unless you eat them to excess and never get any exercise they will not build fat or cause weight gain. They are also delicious and comforting and digest quickly.

Again there is a difference between oils and fats. There are good healthy fats in whole foods like nut butters, nut, seeds, tahini, avocado, coconut and you do need some fat to be healthy. Enjoy some good healthy fats and leave out the added oils and that way you won't stress about the healthy fats.

Sugars fall into the same category. Try to get your sugar from fruits and dates, "sweet" potatoes and try your best to avoid the processed sugars.

This may help to settle your mind, when you know the carb/starches and fats and sugars you are eating are healthy. Have a double helping of sweet potatoes with some avocado and a side of delicious beans then add some spices and enjoy! Oh yes, don't forget some steamed broccoli or other veggie.

All the best on your journey to wellness and know that we are all cheering you on!!

Emma JC

• Like Like x 2
  6. Llama
    Worried

Llama Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Rory17, I think you may have misunderstood, it's not my parents that's the problem now-they are really supportive of it now and pleased at my progress with a vegan diet. It's the staff at the impatient unit who are complete bum'oles (for lack of a better word lol). My parents are being really good about it now :blush:.

Emma JC, thanks for all the advice, and I know it's good to eat healthy but I don't really want to get into a mindset where I avoid all 'unhealthy' foods like the plague and avoid everything processed and sugary. I know it's not great to eat them all the time but it's ok to eat them occasionally (I guess???)

Llama

7. hopeful
    Creative

hopeful Active Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan

I completely agree with you - eating "unhealthy" foods is okay sometimes, probably especially if a person is recovering from an eating disorder. That's my opinion, but it seems like it would be helpful for a person's mind not to have strict "good" versus "bad" foods.

It's great that your parents are okay with you being vegan, because they can help you get the food and meals you need to be a healthy vegan in recovery from the eating disorder. I am guessing the hospital will not agree to the veganism ever, because most programs for eating disorder recovery probably don't. But you have the option of getting healthier and eating the way you choose to eat, so long as it doesn't put you in danger (like by restricting your food).

I know eating disorder recovery is very hard, but you can do it. I know you can. I know that's a bit of a side note from veganism, but I wanted to send you some encouragement in that domain too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emma JC
    Joyful

Emma JC Active Member

Ratings:
    +557 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Happy New Year Llama

So happy that your parents are on board with your choices and I am sure they will help you, where they can, with the staff.

It is okay to eat 'less'healthy foods and the trick is to eat so much of the healthier foods that you don't have the space or the desire for the less healthy. A wonderful meal of lots of potatoes with great toppings and a side of beans that are nicely spiced and some green veggies with lemon juice and pepper means that you won't crave a processed dessert but maybe some nice berries with dark chocolate. All of us eat less healthy foods occassionally and your mental health takes precedence over your physical health and eventually you will consider the healthier foods the "treat" and not the processed sugary ones.

Cheering in the background for you and your health!

Emma JC

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jamie in Chile
    Balanced

Jamie in Chile Active Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 2 / -1
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegetarian
    Hi Llama, I hope you are doing well at the moment and we will still be hear for you if you have any questions or just need support. :)