I don't even understand what you mean by 'soggy' tofu? It makes me think previously frozen, or the fried triangles you get at bad Chinese places!

I have no clue what anyone's talking about, regarding tofu. LMAO :p

The last memory I have of the stuff is from when I was maybe 8 or 9, possibly younger. :confused:

The frozen herbs and spices at Trader Joe's are amazing! I use the crushed garlic all the time.

<<< presses tofu most of the time!!!

I guess if you want to really marinate and bake tofu pressing would help. I never do that anymore.
Another tip I find over rated is steaming tempeh. I tried it when I first tried tempeh, then found it didn't make a difference

I don't even understand what you mean by 'soggy' tofu? It makes me think previously frozen, or the fried triangles you get at bad Chinese places!
I dunno, some are just really soft & squishy... Horrible texture. I guess I'm trying to say I like firm tofu haha

Whenever I have tofu in a restaurant, even when it's cubed/fried, it's always soft tofu, never firm. I tolerate it because I like the sauce and veggies it comes with.

I like tofu when I make it. I always buy extra firm and squeeze most of the water out. I never bother with "pressing"...I don't have the patience. I used to freeze it but I don't bother anymore. I also use the extra firm for baking, even if it calls for soft, because I always have the xfirm on hand. Tofu is a staple for me.

Oh, oh, oh...I keep forgetting to ask! I remember Poppy posting a recipe (but can't remember what for, even though I saved it somewhere :fp:...possibly FB) using cashew butter. So I ordered a jar of raw cashew butter. Can I use that in ANY recipe that calls for soaked cashews? Yes, I am that lazy! :oops:

You have Trader Joes right? there extra firm is one of my favorites. I also like the firm House Tofu at the Asian grocery cause it's so cheap. It's much softer and so great coated with seasoned corn starch and lightley fried.--Not like how they do at most restaurants! I'll only get tofu out when it's steamed. those triangles in most cheaper places have the spongy chewy texture I think of as previously frozen.
TJ's also has the cheapest raw cashew pieces around me. I have found I simmer them long enough, and whir in my mini blender when still warm with liquid they blend perfectly smooth

I do like TJs tofu. It's very firm.

Oh, oh, oh...I keep forgetting to ask! I remember Poppy posting a recipe (but can't remember what for, even though I saved it somewhere :fp:...possibly FB) using cashew butter. So I ordered a jar of raw cashew butter. Can I use that in ANY recipe that calls for soaked cashews? Yes, I am that lazy! :oops:

Nope, haha wasn't my recipe! I've never even bought cashew butter that I can remember - maybe years ago….? As for subbing for raw cashews in recipes - you'll have to experiment - and I'd love to know how it comes out. When I process cashews for most recipes, they turn into a moist powder, not butter - but maybe if I kept going it would become cashew butter? Seems like it could work!

Reactions: KLS52
Nope, haha wasn't my recipe! I've never even bought cashew butter that I can remember - maybe years ago….? As for subbing for raw cashews in recipes - you'll have to experiment - and I'd love to know how it comes out. When I process cashews for most recipes, they turn into a moist powder, not butter - but maybe if I kept going it would become cashew butter? Seems like it could work!
Hmmmm...now I'm not going to rest until I figure out who it was! Maybe Renee...

I'm still scared to try vegan D3. After taking Deva D2, spending time in the sun with minimal clothes no sun screen, eating portabellos with D2, fortified milks-- my level was at 12. After taking D3 I found all my stupid bone pains were caused by deficiency. Vegan D3 is so stupid expensive. It's from lichens! What the heck?
Then I had to battle the doctors office, and the lab, because they didn't code it medically neccessary. That's an expensive test! No doctor ever flagged that as a possible cause, just "arthritis" or see a orthopedic doctor. It's not a regular part of bloodwork

I'm still scared to try vegan D3. After taking Deva D2, spending time in the sun with minimal clothes no sun screen, eating portabellos with D2, fortified milks-- my level was at 12. After taking D3 I found all my stupid bone pains were caused by deficiency. Vegan D3 is so stupid expensive. It's from lichens! What the heck?
Then I had to battle the doctors office, and the lab, because they didn't code it medically neccessary. That's an expensive test! No doctor ever flagged that as a possible cause, just "arthritis" or see a orthopedic doctor. It's not a regular part of bloodwork
I don't get any sun... haven't really since my teens.... but I do like mushrooms! :)

I don't mind whacking, peeling and chopping garlic, but lately what looks like good cloves have been on the old side. I may go with the peeled cloves just for that.

D2 didn't work for me, either. I ended up having to take prescription D.

Interesting. I've been taking d3 for quite a while. I dont wear any sunscreen when I take my walks or work in the garden, so I usually have a light tan in the summer. My vitamin d levels are slightly low, but not worth treating with anything stronger.

Reactions: Val