Interesting. I've been taking d3 for quite a while. I dont wear any sunscreen when I take my walks or work in the garden, so I usually have a light tan in the summer. My vitamin d levels are slightly low, but not worth treating with anything stronger.
vegan or lanolin? Do you know your levels? After over a year of taking 2500 to 5000 daily (that was after a month or so of 10000) I was only at 30. Which is ok, but low ok. That is why I'm afraid to try the vegan ones. I improved so greatly with supplementing

Mine are vegan (eta - see below). I just pulled up my levels and they were better than I had remembered - 41.3. They were done this past January.

In 2013, my vitamin D level was 25. I've been supplementing since, although I didn't realize d2 wasn't vegan and made the switch until probably sometime in 2015.

This is the one I take - 5000 IUs -
eta - geeze, I just reread that it's from lanolin, not vegan. Ugh! Oh well. I'll finish this up and look for something else. (Grrrr - I KNOW I searched on "vegan d3…" :mad: Still - I should have read it thoroughly!) Crap.

Last edited:
Well, all the D2 I had did nothing for me!
D2 didn't work for me, either. I ended up having to take prescription D.

I don't feel bad, I don't think I have a deficiency, I was just looking up stuff because I decided I'm not eating any more animal-derived food. I can't say the same for vitamin supplements (I just take my folks' vitamins)... that bothers me a bit, but I just can't afford separate sh*t. There's no gelatin in any of it, which has always been important to me.... so gross. :yuck: But if I keep on keepin' on with the cooking that I'm doing, and keep incorporating healthy ingredients when I can, I think I'll do OK. ;)

And yeah, after I scrub/wash the leftover mushrooms tomorrow, I'm gonna set 'em out in the sun... they'll dry better, too. :)

Reactions: KLS52
I want to know my number now. My physical is coming up in three weeks. My doctor just keeps telling me to supplement with 2000mg daily.

Mine was only 10 the last time I had it tested a couple months ago! I've been vegan for 11 years and taking vegan vit D and it's always been fine until then. I'm hoping it might have been because I was tested right after winter.

Mine are vegan (eta - see below). I just pulled up my levels and they were better than I had remembered - 41.3. They were done this past January.

In 2013, my vitamin D level was 25. I've been supplementing since, although I didn't realize d2 wasn't vegan and made the switch until probably sometime in 2015.

This is the one I take - 5000 IUs -
eta - geeze, I just reread that it's from lanolin, not vegan. Ugh! Oh well. I'll finish this up and look for something else. (Grrrr - I KNOW I searched on "vegan d3…" :mad: Still - I should have read it thoroughly!) Crap.
Does any link from amazon ever post? o_O
I believe you meant you didn't realize D3 wasn't vegan

Does any link from amazon ever post? o_O
I believe you meant you didn't realize D3 wasn't vegan

Hmmm, I usually see all the links.

So I'm pretty confused at the moment, but that's not unusual :p. Apparently d2 is appropriate for veg*ns and is found in many/most veg*n supplements. D3 can also be vegan, but it usually isn't. I figure I must have been on d2 for a while and at some point googled on d3 mistakenly instead because I'm just not as sharp as I used to be and that's how I got these lanolin supplements.

Hmm, turns out your average store-bought mushrooms are a pretty lousy source of D.... I did some more reading, was surprised to learn about alfalfa!

10 Best Vegan Vitamin D Sources: D2 Foods & D3 Supplements

I think I'm just going to have to get a supplement... only need roughly 600 IU, apparently. At least I got coupons from my last CVS visit. ;)

Oooh, I was checking out the website & I think I've found my multi! :)

I''ll just post the link: Deva Nutrition Vegan Multivitamin & Mineral Supplement Tiny Tablets, 90CT - CVS.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, of course that's only available for ordering online. :| HOWEVER, I found a veggie-multi that Kroger carries! Women's One™ Multivitamin
That sh*t is almost $25 a bottle though! :argh:

Last edited:
Deva tiny tablets were the ones I referenced. Don't know why you're so against online, you could get a 22 oz Kal nooch for $19.xx, the tiny tabs $5.89, and some other needs and you get free shipping
I'm all for supporting local business, but I feel supporting online stores that cater to my needs, and budget, also worthy

Anyone here get cocao nibs? I was just at Trader Joes fussing to myself because they had them coated in confectioners glaze -then I see a bag of just roasted cocoa nibs, onlhy $1.99 for a big bag, but I didn't get them. I remember liking them, but the texture is so much like chewing ground coffee. I thought about adding them to brewing coffee, but it was a big bag and I could see it getting stale on a shelf, on in the fridge

I did buy a bag of TJ's Sacha Inchi Seeds. I remembered reading something about them being good and it was $3.99 a 8 oz bag. They're weird! They taste between smoky almonds, pumpkin seeds, maybe macadamias... They're the size of doggy kibble and hollow, so they're crunchy like almonds, but not so hard. A 1/4 cup has 8 grams protein, 4 grams calcium, and 8% iron. 20% fiber. It says 4.8 grams of ALA which is 300% RDA for that - better than hemp or flax I believe.

I went there for cashews- got 'em!

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
If you haven't tried Silk Protein Nut milk its super good! It's thicker than Soy creamers, 10 grams protein per cup- because they added pea protein! A mix of almond and cashew. It coats the spoon! I took some to work for cold cereal and thinned it with water and it still tasted like milk. Very good in tea (or coffee I would guess), very neutral flavor. The plain has only 2 grams sugar, the vanilla a little more I think- I want that next as I like vanilla in black tea
All the non dairy milks are really taking over!

Reactions: Poppy
I've got a bag of chia seeds I bought for an overnight oatmeal recipe that wasn't worth the effort. What should I do with them?

I just add Chia seeds to my oats & mix them round before heating. Not much, just a teaspoon or the weird texture of them overtakes the porridge.

I just add Chia seeds to my oats & mix them round before heating. Not much, just a teaspoon or the weird texture of them overtakes the porridge.

Yes, that's what happened with the recipe I tried. Unfortunately, I'm not much of an oatmeal for breakfast person anyway (but for dinner? :lick:), but I thought if the oatmeal were "healthy" I'd be more likely to eat it in the morning. But no.

I tried to make chia pudding but I didn't like the feel of the seeds. Taste wise it was good. I tend to be weird with some textures. I don't even eat strawberries much, anymore, because of the little black dots, lol. I can be so bizarre sometimes. :)

I've got a bag of chia seeds I bought for an overnight oatmeal recipe that wasn't worth the effort. What should I do with them?
I like to sprinkle cut up fruit, like berries, pineapple, banana and add either vanilla soy or almond milk, just enough to pudding it
Chia's really good with the omega 3's. You can sub it for ground flax

I make chia seed jam. I heat a pint of fresh or frozen raspberries in a pot until they begin to break down, then add a tablespoon of maple syrup and a tablespoon or two of chia seeds. I take it off the heat, let it cool, add to a glass jar and store in my refrigerator. The chia seeds expand and jel up the jam. I end up consuming it all within a week so I don't know how long this keeps for. I like to have my chia jam on toast, or in oatmeal, or this coming week I am making a batch and adding it into whole wheat tortillas rolled up for a morning snack at work. I can see adding this to phyllo for a treat and baking it. Or if you really want to get fancy, add it to homemade jelly filled donuts.

In response to the conversation about pizza dough in the "Whatcha Makin" thread, I have found that either a pizza stone or a pizza pan (a circular pan with holes) make a better crust than a cookie sheet. Either should be preheated, which makes the handling of them kind of difficult :rolleyes:, but the crust comes out with a nice finished bottom and holds up to moist toppings (sauce, sautéed veggies, etc).

Reactions: Amy SF