In response to the conversation about pizza dough in the "Whatcha Makin" thread, I have found that either a pizza stone or a pizza pan (a circular pan with holes) make a better crust than a cookie sheet. Either should be preheated, which makes the handling of them kind of difficult :rolleyes:, but the crust comes out with a nice finished bottom and holds up to moist toppings (sauce, sautéed veggies, etc).
I had pizza stone years ago when I lived in Saginaw, loved that thing... put one on the shopping list a while ago, then I found a pan at Bed Bath & Beyond's website I think I'd like better....

upload_2017-6-4_13-4-44.jpeg It'd be much less cumbersome, too... storage space is at a premium.

Oh, and when I made that half-pizza, I baked it directly on the rack, not on a sheet... it was still a mess. LMAO :confused:

Last edited:
Hmm, just discovered something kind of interesting.... I accidentally grabbed a Sharpie & started to write on the dry-erase board, didn't realize it until I made a mistake & tried to wipe it away, then went "Aw, sh*t." Then I wondered if the dry-erase marker would help remove the Sharpie smudge.... and what do you know, it worked! :weird: So dry-erase marker can help in removing indelible ink from at least one surface.... LOL

Last edited:
From our latest Nutrition Action Healthletter: "Before refrigerating radishes, carrots, beets, turnips, and other root vegetables, cut off the green leafy tops. They draw out moisture, causing the veggies to go limp and lose flavor. (Sauté the tops with garlic in olive oil. Mmm.)"

Last edited:
I think this is a good list.

13 essential items you never thought to donate to those in need

I've donated personal hygiene products to a local battered women's shelter, but in addition to donating just plain bar soap, I've also donated nice scented soaps that I thought the women would enjoy using. I've also donated makeup, because even though it's not on the shelter's wish list, I thought it would provide a nice self-esteem boost to the women who have to be at that shelter. Also, I think donating fun stuff like makeup, along with basic stuff, right before Christmas is great for the women who have to spend the holidays hiding out in a shelter from whoever abused them.

I think this is a good list.

13 essential items you never thought to donate to those in need

I've donated personal hygiene products to a local battered women's shelter, but in addition to donating just plain bar soap, I've also donated nice scented soaps that I thought the women would enjoy using. I've also donated makeup, because even though it's not on the shelter's wish list, I thought it would provide a nice self-esteem boost to the women who have to be at that shelter. Also, I think donating fun stuff like makeup, along with basic stuff, right before Christmas is great for the women who have to spend the holidays hiding out in a shelter from whoever abused them.
Since I was a kid, my mom & I have always saved up all the soaps, lotions, shampoos, etc. from hotels... big bags of 'em... and donated them to the women's shelter.... along with huge boxes of our used paperback books, things like that. :)

Last edited:
25 Things You Didn't Know You Could Put in the Dishwasher

I wish ours wasn't broken 'cuz this is pretty cool! ----> Potatoes and Root Vegetables: When you harvest potatoes, beets and turnips from your garden, place them in the top rack and run through a short dishwasher cycle without soap. To cook same veggies, wrap tightly in aluminum foil, and wash again. :weird:

Reactions: PTree15
9 Incredible Benefits of Sesame Oil | Organic Facts

Thought I'd post that since I just had my bottle of sesame oil out & rubbed some into my newly-buffed nails. I've gone without polish for three whole days! I know you're supposed to let your nails "breathe" but I very rarely did. But I clipped 'em (they grow super fast), filed 'em, buffed & shined 'em, rubbed the oil on... they look pretty good! Surprisingly healthy! :eek: LOL

How do you find this thread? o_O Seems like everytime I want it searches don't help, so I just post questions in the chat!:oops:
^and that's another reason I'll never have anything but eyeliner again!

How do you find this thread? o_O Seems like everytime I want it searches don't help, so I just post questions in the chat!:oops:
^and that's another reason I'll never have anything but eyeliner again!
Just type "tips" in the search bar... check the box Search titles only, and uncheck the box Search this forum only.... you should be able to find it.

Hmmm.... o_O Pass the Salt: The Myth of the Low-Salt Diet

I just heard something about this on NPR on the way home. I'm not gonna start doing anything different, though, because I am prone to high BP. And that Amy's mac & cheeze last night certainly wasn't low in sodium! LOL :p I'll try to steer clear of the processed crap, but it's nice to know I can get away with adding a little sea salt to some of my home cooking... it would perk up my cashew-cheese sauce, for sure! ;) Hell, I might have a snack later of tortilla chips & guacamole (both of which tasted extremely salty to my adjusted palate)....

Hmmm.... o_O Pass the Salt: The Myth of the Low-Salt Diet

I just heard something about this on NPR on the way home. I'm not gonna start doing anything different, though, because I am prone to high BP. And that Amy's mac & cheeze last night certainly wasn't low in sodium! LOL :p I'll try to steer clear of the processed crap, but it's nice to know I can get away with adding a little sea salt to some of my home cooking... it would perk up my cashew-cheese sauce, for sure! ;) Hell, I might have a snack later of tortilla chips & guacamole (both of which tasted extremely salty to my adjusted palate)....
We all have different systems with different needs, which is why I dislike comparisons that don't take that into consideration.
I ate a really good mostly plant, whole foods diet when I was first pregnant. I got really obsessive with it afterwards, eating all plants, no processed anything and eliminated coffee and salt. I became increasingly dizzy to the point of fainting, discovering my blood pressure was seriously low. It's normally on the low end, and I had always loved salty foods, and added salt. I was told to simply add salt, I started back on coffee, and all was well.

I often wanted to ask you if you considered the ratio of sodium and potassium since you're now vegan and low sodium. So many plant foods- mostly beans- are high in potassium.
I know so many meat eaters that are low in potassium, even seen a few taken away in ambulances. Beans have more potassium than bananas or potatoes

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
We all have different systems with different needs, which is why I dislike comparisons that don't take that into consideration.
I ate a really good mostly plant, whole foods diet when I was first pregnant. I got really obsessive with it afterwards, eating all plants, no processed anything and eliminated coffee and salt. I became increasingly dizzy to the point of fainting, discovering my blood pressure was seriously low. It's normally on the low end, and I had always loved salty foods, and added salt. I was told to simply add salt, I started back on coffee, and all was well.

I often wanted to ask you if you considered the ratio of sodium and potassium since you're now vegan and low sodium. So many plant foods- mostly beans- are high in potassium.
I know so many meat eaters that are low in potassium, even seen a few taken away in ambulances. Beans have more potassium than bananas or potatoes
Yeah, anytime I know I'm going to be consuming more sodium that usual, I make sure I'll be getting plenty of potassium as well.... ;)