Unilever suing Hampton Creek to get Just Mayo removed from shelves

The egg picture on the label has a plant in it, symbolizing replacing the egg with plant foods. Maybe Just Mayo will have to put a red circle/line over the egg/plant picture for the lawyers.
b80f5371042b6f90a2df942c73400196.jpg

I would still analyze the ingredients. I like to know what I'm buying. The fact that people buy things without reading every ingredients is mind boogling to me. No idea what they're putting in their own bodies.
I have an omni friend that said she doesn't want to know what's in her food. She refuses to read the ingredients. Why would you want to eat something so awful that you purposely avoid the ingredient list? Mind boggling certainly describes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpius and Amy SF
The egg picture on the label has a plant in it, symbolizing replacing the egg with plant foods. Maybe Just Mayo will have to put a red circle/line over the egg/plant picture for the lawyers.
The egg shape does have a plant in it.....but that could signify a number of things. First impressions, not abstract symbolism, is what is going to matter in this case.

I would still analyze the ingredients. I like to know what I'm buying. The fact that people buy things without reading every ingredients is mind boogling to me. No idea what they're putting in their own bodies.
I often look at the details, including the ingredients, but usually for some specific reason. Is it really whole grain? Is it too high in sodium? Etc. Sometimes I like to amuse myself by looking how poor quality many prepared "health" foods are. But I don't analyze the ingredients lists too much....when I purchase prepared foods I know they are going to typically contain preservatives, high amounts of sodium, etc and I also know that everything has been approved by the FDA. I don't have the time, or patience, to read about every approved compound they put in food. I think the vast majority care even less than I do.....which is why strict labeling laws are important.

would you object to a label that said 'eggless mayo'?
Or do you think mayo HAS to have egg in it?
Personally I don't care whether they define mayo to have egg or not, I just think labeling laws should exist and businesses should follow them.

Big Mayo Vs. Little Mayo: Which Brand Has Egg On Its Face? : The Salt : NPR
But it's possible that this strategy has backfired. Consumer sentiment seems squarely behind the new kid on the block, not the Big Food giant.

More than 25,000 people have signed a petition on Change.org started by celebrity chef Andrew Zimmern titled "Stop Bullying Sustainable Food Companies."

"If I was Just Mayo," says Stanton, "I'd be sitting back and saying, 'You know, I'm getting more attention than I could have ever paid for!' "

And this publicity could bring new consumers to the start-up brand that's looking to stand out in a crowded marketplace.

So, given all the public reaction to the lawsuit, is it Unilever's Hellmann's that may end up with egg on its face?

Yep, pretty much, says Eloy Trevino, a brand-building expert at Prophet, a strategic brand and marketing consultancy firm.

"Nobody likes to see the big conglomerate multinational company, with all of the money and all of the lawyers, beat down the little man," Trevino says.

Reactions: ledboots
I bought some Just Mayo at Publix grocery store the other day because of this story. :) It tastes good, like vegannaise, and was cheaper.

We don't eat much mayo around here. I was thinking of making a pasta salad with some of it.

Reactions: Amy SF
I often look at the details, including the ingredients, but usually for some specific reason. Is it really whole grain? Is it too high in sodium? Etc. Sometimes I like to amuse myself by looking how poor quality many prepared "health" foods are. But I don't analyze the ingredients lists too much....when I purchase prepared foods I know they are going to typically contain preservatives, high amounts of sodium, etc and I also know that everything has been approved by the FDA. I don't have the time, or patience, to read about every approved compound they put in food. I think the vast majority care even less than I do.....which is why strict labeling laws are important.
It says egg free right on the front. What else do you want?

I bought some Just Mayo at Publix grocery store the other day because of this story. :) It tastes good, like vegannaise, and was cheaper.

We don't eat much mayo around here. I was thinking of making a pasta salad with some of it.

This looks really good. There isn't a recipe with it, but it seems easy enough.

Last edited:
I bought a jar today. They were giving out samples on a piece of baguette with tomato. It tastes really good, so far the closest to Hellman's, IMO.

So, given all the public reaction to the lawsuit, is it Unilever's Hellmann's that may end up with egg on its face?
The public won't determine the case. Unilever isn't stupid and they undoubtedly knew how the public would view this case....yet they filed it. That is, I think, a testament to how strong they think the case is. All the buzz Hampton is getting from this won't matter if they product has to be pulled and they have to pay damages to Unilever.

It says egg free right on the front. What else do you want?
It says egg-free in small type on the side of the label.

The public won't determine the case. Unilever isn't stupid and they undoubtedly knew how the public would view this case....yet they filed it. That is, I think, a testament to how strong they think the case is. All the buzz Hampton is getting from this won't matter if they product has to be pulled and they have to pay damages to Unilever.
Well, a girl can dream!
[emoji12]
:p

These articles keep painting Hampton as some independent company, independent from what exactly? Hampton has received over $30 million in funding from proponent individuals/groups.....not exactly a mom and pop operation.

It's a shame the news stories haven't pointed out what a hypocrite Unilever is. They sell hollandaise sauce under their Knorr label, which contains no egg, although egg is a required ingredient. The directions don't even say to add eggs. They need to be called out on it.
In spoilers because images are big.
516q4pg6yNL.jpg
knorr-hollandaise-sauce-mix-15-pound-5.jpg

71oFwjljY6L._SX385_.jpg

Last edited:
These articles keep painting Hampton as some independent company, independent from what exactly? Hampton has received over $30 million in funding from proponent individuals/groups.....not exactly a mom and pop operation.
A vegan product like Just Mayo sitting on Walmart's shelf next to the Hellman's real mayonnaise and close to their price point is huge. There is no way a mom and pop could compete.

The richest man in Asia is a partner in Hampton, luckily, since they are apparently going to need to pay some attorneys.