Unpopular Opinions Society

Do you think it is just women with the bizarre sensitivity to age thing? Would you find it weird if people referred to you as a "boy" at your age?

I am not sure.

After all, some people try to excuse the behaviour of a certain septuagenarian president-to-be only with "boys will be boys" ...

My friends and I might say, let's have a girls night out. I know when my mom and aunt were alive they would have a card night with "the girls ". I don't think it was due to any false sense of wanting to be considered younger than they were, but more of a playful, youthful "mind" thing as in , "girls just want to have fun".

Sir comes across as dignified where 'mam' sounds so hokey.

That always reminds me of ...

latest

t-shirts-no-ma-am-3.jpg

Maybe I was being unintentionally rude on the other thread, but what would be the correct term to describe someone aged say 60-75 years old?

Baby, infant, child, teenager, youth, middle-aged and then it skips to elderly? What is the correct term for the stage between middle-aged and elderly? If "old" is the wrong term to use for that age group, then what is the right one?:confused:

Maybe I was being unintentionally rude on the other thread, but what would be the correct term to describe someone aged say 60-75 years old?

Baby, infant, child, teenager, youth, middle-aged and then it skips to elderly? What is the correct term for the stage between middle-aged and elderly? If "old" is the wrong term to use for that age group, then what is the right one?:confused:

That's a good question, young woman.

Senior citizen. :p

The real question is, why bring age into it at all? And that becomes a question of context.

For example, if I say that I saw an old man playing Frisbee in the park with his dog, that evokes a certain mental picture, while saying that I saw a boy playing Frisbee in the park evokes a different mental picture.

OTOH, if I said in a thread that FortyTwo is a young man, and that I'm giving him leeway because of that, that statement would be both (a) true, and (b) condescending. The same would be the case if I referred to Capstan as "old man."

That's because, in the context of a discussion board like this one, age isn't relevant unless one wishes to convey that someone needs to be excused as not quite fully competent because of lack of experienced/deteriorating facilities, or one just wants to be condescending for the heck of it.

Now, I for one don't mind being called old. I am old, after all. And if someone wants to do it to be condescending, that's fine with me also, since that reflects on the speaker, not on me.

Reactions: KLS52
Does anyone have a good idea about what the correct term is for people aged 60-75? I just want to know if using "old" is wrong as it seemed to be jumped on by people on here.

I think "Elder Lady" or "Elder Gentleman" sounds nicer than "Elderly"

Hmm, elderly is not really considered rude here, well, as far as I know.:)

I don't mind elder/elderly or even older. Just not "old" please, lol. Old just sounds like that's it...you're done. :rofl:

I'm 64, and I balk at thinking of myself as a Senior Citizen, even though I DO feel my age in certain ways: the threadlike wrinkles in my skin, the way I feel stiff after sitting for more than maybe 30 minutes...

Meh. Since I can't regenerate like Dr Who, I'd rather be old than dead.

Reactions: Andy_T
Upside: I still occasionally get carded for booze (at places who don't know me).

Suck side: I constantly get called "Ma'am".... :fp: When did I transition from Miss to Ma'am??? :cry: LMAO

It just stings a bit. But it's a hell of a lot better than some 20-something calling me things like "Honey" or "Sweetie" while waiting on/helping me. Those are terms of affection for friends & loved ones.... to a complete stranger, that sh*t is just downright condescending. :brood:

Last edited:
It's probably semantics, assuming I'm using the word correctly. I would cringe, just a tad, if someone referred to me as an old woman, lol, seeing as I'm 64...because what would you call someone who is 84, 94 or older? I do like the respect your elder, thing but I don't think the USA puts much value on "old" people. Many can still have a lot to contribute in some way but we seem to dismiss them as annoying and/or a burden. Generally speaking, of course. Not in every case.
You call them 'women' :p
Girls and boys are children.
No need to change past man or woman
I don't quite like 'lady' personally. I hear that Beastie Boys song-- Hey Lady!

Reactions: KLS52
I use 'girls' for myself and people my age on occasion... I refer to a certain group of female friends as "the girls" ("having lunch with the girls" etc.). But in a professional setting I'd definitely find it condescending, and I'd also probably find it quite patronising if someone much older than me referred to me as a girl, although that would depend on context.

Lady is an odd one. Husband and I call our two cats "the ladies", so now it mostly makes me think of that.

Back when I worked on a market stall, I once had to explain to a coworker (whose first language was not English) the subtle difference between "Hi ladies!" to call out to a group of women, and "Hey lady!" to call out to one woman on her own :rofl:

Back when I worked on a market stall, I once had to explain to a coworker (whose first language was not English) the subtle difference between "Hi ladies!" to call out to a group of women, and "Hey lady!" to call out to one woman on her own :rofl:
Eh, you may want to try and explain that one! It might be that I just don't quite get the context? Was he trying to get someone's attention in order to make a sale? And therefore "hey, lady!" would be too direct?

I use 'girls' for myself and people my age on occasion... I refer to a certain group of female friends as "the girls" ("having lunch with the girls" etc.). But in a professional setting I'd definitely find it condescending, and I'd also probably find it quite patronising if someone much older than me referred to me as a girl, although that would depend on context.
:yes: