Unpopular Opinions Society

I generally dislike homes that are draped in lights for about a month, i just think it looks cheap and tacky. The lights that flash on and off are the worst, sometimes my neighbours have these lights and it can be very irritating.

I think that, while people should generally try to be as green as possible, the idea that not using Christmas lights will somehow be a worthwhile contribution to a planet that's regularly being screwed over by corporations, not individual consumers, is probably not valid, even if well-intentioned.

^ That is true but I think some people don't make the effort to be green and use the excuse that what little they can do wouldn't count in the grand scheme of things, so they don't bother to do anything at all.

ETA - I do like most of the Christmas lights people put on their houses though.

I really don't like yoga, I don't understand why some people love it so much. It's boring and really difficult.:D

Reactions: Animallover21
Moll, I don't enjoy yoga, either. I have tried numerous times, but I find it frustrating. My body just doesn't want to move the way yoga says it should. :D That said, I find the breathing exercises quite useful.

I also was not too thrilled about the yoga lessons I tried at the suggestion of my wife.
They seemed very much to me like the stretching and limbering that you normally do before martial arts class.
I like those ... but only when there is some actual martial arts after the stretching... so the yoga classes I attended felt like there was something important missing :)

I also was not too thrilled about the yoga lessons I tried at the suggestion of my wife.
They seemed very much to me like the stretching and limbering that you normally do before martial arts class.
I like those ... but only when there is some actual martial arts after the stretching... so the yoga classes I attended felt like there was something important missing :)
My son is a martial artist as well, and he likes these Power Yoga sessions but not so much the more mild ones. :)

I don't mind this yoga pose.:p Even I can manage this one.

Shavasana_zps3ktnz8b1.jpg

You can be pro life without being forceful about it. They still have free will even if you disagree with their actions. It can be if you vote to make it illegal, but it could also not be forceful.
I think I will forever be undecided. Pro choice can be good because it could save people from living a bad life, but I wonder if there is any chance at all if an unborn fetus could be sentient. If they're without a doubt non sentient that would be an easy decision to make.

Last edited:
You can be pro life without being forceful about it. They still have free will even if you disagree with their actions. It can be if you vote to make it illegal, but it could also not be forceful.
I think I will forever be undecided. Pro choice can be good because it could save people from living a bad life, but I wonder if there is any chance at all if an unborn fetus could be sentient. If they're without a doubt non sentient that would be an easy decision to make.

If you believe a pregnant person should have a right to choose based on their own personal beliefs, regardless of what you feel, then you're pro-choice.

I read a bunch of spoilers about "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "Batman v. Superman" too. I won't post about them, but I'm glad I didn't spend time or money on them.

Sheesh... I used to love sci-fi and superheroes- not exactly the same thing... but except for "The Martian", they just don't do it for me anymore. Too dark. I always liked the funnier episodes of the original "Star Trek" such as the tribbles, or that Chicago gangster style planet they visited once.... or the ones that might have been serious but weren't violent, like "Mudd's Women", where one of the mail-order brides ran out of an artificial beauty drug they were taking, and learned that she was beautiful just by herself. And I liked the scene where she figured out how they could clean cookware on a water-scarce planet by hanging them outside in a sandstorm. DEFINITELY an under-rated episode, that shows what good science-fiction can be.

Reactions: ledboots
I read a bunch of spoilers about "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" and "Batman v. Superman" too. I won't post about them, but I'm glad I didn't spend time or money on them.

Sheesh... I used to love sci-fi and superheroes- not exactly the same thing... but except for "The Martian", they just don't do it for me anymore. Too dark. I always liked the funnier episodes of the original "Star Trek" such as the tribbles, or that Chicago gangster style planet they visited once.... or the ones that might have been serious but weren't violent, like "Mudd's Women", where one of the mail-order brides ran out of an artificial beauty drug they were taking, and learned that she was beautiful just by herself. And I liked the scene where she figured out how they could clean cookware on a water-scarce planet by hanging them outside in a sandstorm. DEFINITELY an under-rated episode, that shows what good science-fiction can be.

I mean, fair enough, especially in the case of Batman v. Superman. But I can assure you, whoever told you those spoilers about Star Wars probably just told you the darkest moments of the film, because for the most part the film is very lighthearted, fun, and enjoyable. The action scenes are intense, and there are sad moments, but the same goes for A New Hope as well. I laughed while watching TFA a lot.

Boys (aka husband and son) are obnoxious. They ate all my foods and drank all my drinks.

Something that was said on another thread made me think about something that I have wondered for a while.

I've noticed that grown women on American shows like Sex and the City and The Real Housewives often refer to themselves as "girls" rather than women and it always makes me cringe! I think of girls as being school-aged or at least below 18 years old.

I used the term "woman" describing a woman I worked with, we were nearly 30 years old at the time (she was married and had 3 kids) and she said that she was slightly offended as she said she was used to being described as a girl!o_O

Is that weird, or am I the weird one for not making people sound younger when describing them? Is it a social faux pas that apparently I don't understand?:confused:

Something that was said on another thread made me think about something that I have wondered for a while.

I've noticed that grown women on American shows like Sex and the City and The Real Housewives often refer to themselves as "girls" rather than women and it always makes me cringe! I think of girls as being school-aged or at least below 18 years old.

I used the term "woman" describing a woman I worked with, we were nearly 30 years old at the time (she was married and had 3 kids) and she said that she was slightly offended as she said she was used to being described as a girl!o_O

Is that weird, or am I the weird one for not making people sound younger when describing them? Is it a social faux pas that apparently I don't understand?:confused:

In the age obsessed USA, "girl" implies youth, so many women let it slide.

In the age obsessed USA, "girl" implies youth, so many women let it slide.

Do you think it is just women with the bizarre sensitivity to age thing? Would you find it weird if people referred to you as a "boy" at your age?

I know I don't like it when I am referred to as a "girl" at my age as I think it sounds really patronising. I also think maybe the person is being sarcastic as I'm clearly not a teenager, lol.

I didn't realize that was an American thing! It's always rubbed me wrong! While sometime referring to men as 'the boys' in a playful fashion, it's commonplace to call women 'girls' even in professional situations! I find that very condescending.
What I don't like is to be called 'mam' (how you spell that?). Sir comes across as dignified where 'mam' sounds so hokey.

I didn't realize that was an American thing! It's always rubbed me wrong! While sometime referring to men as 'the boys' in a playful fashion, it's commonplace to call women 'girls' even in professional situations! I find that very condescending.

Yes, exactly! I agree. :)

It's probably semantics, assuming I'm using the word correctly. I would cringe, just a tad, if someone referred to me as an old woman, lol, seeing as I'm 64...because what would you call someone who is 84, 94 or older? I do like the respect your elder, thing but I don't think the USA puts much value on "old" people. Many can still have a lot to contribute in some way but we seem to dismiss them as annoying and/or a burden. Generally speaking, of course. Not in every case.