Health Issues (US) Obamacare (Affordable Care Act)

I still think it's a deeply flawed piece of legislation that is better than what we had before.

But hey, I'm drinking gin and t0nics, so don't listen to me... :p

That's pretty much how the NHS works in the UK.

NI (National Insurance) contributions deducted from payslips in the same ways they collect any PAYE tax.

The 2 systems work in a similar manner. On the other hand we don't get a 100 % reimburesement for medical care et prescriptions so most people have to fork out for a private medical insurance.

It sounded okay in theory, but they went about it all wrong, and like always, the poor suffer. Employers are now cutting A LOT of people back to 29 hours to avoid having to give them benefits. It's not cheap to buy insurance out of pocket from anyone, especially with reduced hours.

Florida is one of the states where the governor refused the expanded Medicaid. I have no clue what I am going to have to do for this new insurance plan. I am "working poor" and cannot afford insurance. As the website is having major problems, I am waiting a while to see what happens when I enroll.

Florida is one of the states where the governor refused the expanded Medicaid. I have no clue what I am going to have to do for this new insurance plan. I am "working poor" and cannot afford insurance. As the website is having major problems, I am waiting a while to see what happens when I enroll.

You can enroll by phone.

You have to register on the $625 million unworking website before you can enroll by phone.

It's all so ridiculous, it would be funny if it wasnt true.

The whole thing is a disaster. Leave it to our government to take an okay idea and turn it into this!

You have to register on the $625 million unworking website before you can enroll by phone.

I can't find anything that specifically says you have to register on the website first. According to this, they can sign you up by phone "from beginning to end".

https://www.healthcare.gov/contact-us/

Where did you see it say that you have to register first online?

I can't find anything that specifically says you have to register on the website first. According to this, they can sign you up by phone "from beginning to end".

I am on a limited minute phone and cannot sit on hold for hours.... I am already registered on the website ... I think. I get emails from them.

Two of my patients today told me this. They spoke to a nice woman on the phone line who told them that they have to be registered on the website first. The operator said they expected the website to be markedly improved by late Wednesday, and for people to try to get on late at night or early in the morning, when there would be less web traffic.

These are pregnant women who have insurance now that excludes pregnancy, so they are looking forward to Jan 1st.

Reactions: Amy SF
Two of my patients today told me this. They spoke to a nice woman on the phone line who told them that they have to be registered on the website first. The operator said they expected the website to be markedly improved by late Wednesday, and for people to try to get on late at night or early in the morning, when there would be less web traffic.

These are pregnant women who have insurance now that excludes pregnancy, so they are looking forward to Jan 1st.

Were there any special requirements/circumstances with them?...because that is beyond ridiculous. The whole point of signing up by phone is to not use a computer. It's such a basic concept that it almost sounds unbelievable that that requirement is real.

I think affordable health insurance for low income people is a great idea, but I don't think the numbers will work.

First, it requires a lot of young people to sign up. I was young once. I remember thinking I didn't need insurance. I remember complaining about the deduction from my paycheck. So, I imagine a lot of the young people feel immortal like I did, and won't sign up.

Also, it's been my experience in the private sector, that when budgeting and forecasting, people tend to overestimate revenues and underestimate costs. I bet the gov't is no different. There's bound to be a big funding gap.

Reactions: ledboots
Yep.

I'm rather annoyed that the ACA is killing high deductible insurance. I know why they did it - a $5,000 deductible might as well be $5 million if you're poor, but they are very, cost-effective means of insuring yourself if you have savings.

I'm still trying to figure things out, I honestly haven't done much research into it until now. I'm a resident of (and covered in) Canada, but am still a U.S. citizen, and still do my weekend warrior thing in Vermont. At this point, I still maintain Tricare, which keeps me covered in the U.S. through the military for pretty cheap. I'm considering getting rid of it though. If I do, then I'd have to prove that I was out of the U.S. for 330 days of the year. In an average year of training I do my 2 or 3 days per month, have 2 or 3 weeks of annual training, and probably take a month or more of additional training as opportunities present themselves. By the end of this year, I think I will have spent like 90 days in the U.S. doing training and the rest of the time in Canada. This won't keep me above the 330 day mark, which means if I don't keep Tricare, and follow roughly the same schedule next year, I could end up being dinged come tax time.

I certainly don't have as much riding on this as most Americans. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. My extension, if I choose to keep doing the Army thing, comes May next year. I want to stay, but if ACA ends up being a pain in my *** it could definitely influence my decision. Already losing girlfriend points as it is by choosing to stay in the Army :p I may have to take a break from it until I get my Canadian citizenship and can swap over to the Canadian Forces instead.

Someone on a different board (no, not the "other board":p) made a good point that I thought was worth sharing.

The ACA needs young people to sign up, but one of the benefits of the ACA is that it allows people up to age 26 to stay on their parents plan.

If you can choose between signing up and paying for health insurance, or staying on your parents plan for free, which would you choose?

The ACA shot itself in the foot on that one....