Health Issues (US) Obamacare (Affordable Care Act)

Not all young people have parents who already have insurance coverage. A lot of middle aged people lack health insurance and will have to sign up themselves.

The main thing about covering children till 26 is that maternity benefits are now mandatory, with some exceptions in grandfathered plans. Maternity care is *very expensive*.

And those of us who don't use maternity benefits or have families end up paying more than those who do. At many places you can add a family for not much more than just insuring yourself. I wish we could build our own plans to suit our needs. Then again I wish I could build my own cable package too and skip what I don't need. :p

For children, I imagine in some families, the parents' plans have better coverage/rates than a young adult might be able to purchase on their own. While many parents who pay to insure their child might continue paying the premiums, there are probably some families where the child does pay their portion, but stays for the better coverage/rate. I could see this happening especially when the child has a chronic condition and wouldn't want to have a gap in coverage, but is working and can pay their portion.

Reactions: ledboots
See that sounds more fair to me. A single person should not have to pay more so someone can add family IMO. When Obama made the coverage until 26 mandatory, my rates went up. Where I used to work, they had a single employee rate for coverage and an employee plus family plan. So people paid the same whether it was for employee/spouse or employee/1 child as someone who had 6 kids on their plan. Not fair. Eventually they did change it to employee, employee plus 1 or employee plus family. Still I think someone with 6 kids should pay more than someone with 2.

For children, I imagine in some families, the parents' plans have better coverage/rates than a young adult might be able to purchase on their own. While many parents who pay to insure their child might continue paying the premiums, there are probably some families where the child does pay their portion, but stays for the better coverage/rate. I could see this happening especially when the child has a chronic condition and wouldn't want to have a gap in coverage, but is working and can pay their portion.
My daughter is 24, and she gets better insurance on my plan. It's an extra $100/month for any number of kids, so she gives me $50 for that (and $50 for the cell phone on my plan, also cheaper than an individual plan.)

Young men will see their rates increase more than women will because by law companies now cannot charge women more.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
So $100 a month for your daughter and $100 a month for someone to add 5 kids. That kind of thing pisses me off and it's not even my plan.

So $100 a month for your daughter and $100 a month for someone to add 5 kids. That kind of thing pisses me off and it's not even my plan.
Well I do have a 20-yr old in school also on my plan, but yes, you could have 20 kids for the same price, I think. My husband has a medicare plan because of his disability, which is cheaper and better at this time than adding him to my plan.

My brother got a letter saying MVP can't cover him anymore. Didn't Obama constantly say you can keep your coverage as long as you're happy with it(which my brother is)? If he was lying, shouldn't the media be criticizing him for it?

Last edited:
I don't understand it how Obama didn't know he was lying? If they're lying to us about something as simple as health insurance, what else are they lying about?

The media is not ignoring the story.

" By Lisa Myers and Hannah Rappleye, NBC News
President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years." http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_...illions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance

The media is not ignoring the story.

" By Lisa Myers and Hannah Rappleye, NBC News
President Obama repeatedly assured Americans that after the Affordable Care Act became law, people who liked their health insurance would be able to keep it. But millions of Americans are getting or are about to get cancellation letters for their health insurance under Obamacare, say experts, and the Obama administration has known that for at least three years." http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_...illions-could-not-keep-their-health-insurance

I watched a report on one of the late night shows on Fox News, where many people were complaining that they
no longer have health insurance.
Could someone put it into a nutshell as it is mind boggling to understand why so many people feel let down.

I watched a report on one of the late night shows on Fox News, where many people were complaining that they
no longer have health insurance.
Could someone put it into a nutshell as it is mind boggling to understand why so many people feel let down.
Many Americans get health insurance as a benefit with their jobs. There are new mandatory coverage requirements for insurance companies that are very expensive: for example, the policies used to cover non-school attending offspring until 18, now it is until 26 years old. They also have to cover maternity, well person checkups, vaccinations, birth control at no cost to consumer, and much more.

Because of the extended coverage, costs are higher. Some businesses are dropping employee health insurance as a benefit, or using part time workers to avoid the costs.

That is the private insurance. Around half of Americans are covered by government insurance, either Medicare for the elderly and disabled, or Medicaid for the poor. Under the new law, more people will have access to Medicaid, but about half the states, who partially fund Medicaid in partnership with the federal government, have not agreed to the changes.

For people who aren't covered by insurance from work or the government programs are now required to purchase health insurance or pay a fine with their taxes. They can purchase insurance from the federal government, choosing from 4 plans with varying deductibles, etc. The website is faulty, so people are complaining that they can't sign up, a month now after its launch.

Kind of a confusing nutshell. :confused:

Many Americans get health insurance as a benefit with their jobs. There are new mandatory coverage requirements for insurance companies that are very expensive: for example, the policies used to cover non-school attending offspring until 18, now it is until 26 years old. They also have to cover maternity, well person checkups, vaccinations, birth control at no cost to consumer, and much more.

Because of the extended coverage, costs are higher. Some businesses are dropping employee health insurance as a benefit, or using part time workers to avoid the costs.

That is the private insurance. Around half of Americans are covered by government insurance, either Medicare for the elderly and disabled, or Medicaid for the poor. Under the new law, more people will have access to Medicaid, but about half the states, who partially fund Medicaid in partnership with the federal government, have not agreed to the changes.

For people who aren't covered by insurance from work or the government programs are now required to purchase health insurance or pay a fine with their taxes. They can purchase insurance from the federal government, choosing from 4 plans with varying deductibles, etc. The website is faulty, so people are complaining that they can't sign up, a month now after its launch.

Kind of a confusing nutshell. :confused:

I think that the above part is confusing. If employees are not getting it via their employeur does the goverment
subsdise it ?
Do over 65s get automatic 100% medicare ?

Tx for the nutshell.