Advertisement
  1. We have a moderator position available, click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Vegan pet owners

Discussion in 'General' started by louise virgo, Sep 23, 2017.

1. louise virgo

louise virgo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Hi all, I am a relatively new vegan and adore everything about 'my' food choices now. But what about pets? I have 2 dogs who I have reared on a meat diet - I feel very unhappy to buy their food now but at the same time I don't want to upset their diet. What do other vegan pet owners feed their animals?

• Like Like x 1
  2. nobody

nobody Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I have three cats and feed them canned meat cat food, not kibble (dry food). I would say that vegan pet food is dubious for dogs and inappropriate for cats. Dogs are omnivores that evolved from carnivores (whereas homo sapiens and our ancestors are omnivores that evolved from near vegans) and cats are obligate carnivores. I wouldn't judge anyone either way, because there are strong arguments on both sides. On the the one hand, it is no more justifiable to raise pigs and chickens to feed to dogs and cats than it is to raise dogs and cats to feed to pigs and chickens, and a lot of people seem to have healthy dogs and cats on vegan diets. But on the other hand, we domesticated dogs and cats and are responsible to feed them a species appropriate diet, regardless of our own moral sensitivities. This is why if I had the last two dogs and the last two cats in existence I would not breed them but let these domesticated animals die out. There is an inherent evil in the domestication of animals.

Hypothetical scenario: If everyone on the planet went vegan overnight, then I would suggest that we convert all the factory farms into places for breeding crickets and mealworms (beetle larvae). This would give cats the animal protein they need. Insect sentience is not as definite as the sentience of farm animals or fish and they are better suited to being raised in cramped conditions. I still would not advocate honey for humans, who don't need it. But our cats and (to a lesser extent ) dogs do need animal protein (arguably).

3. Vegan Dogs

Vegan Dogs Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    hi, nice write up about the ethical ownership of animals points raised. whilst we do own pets...having created them from wild species that they are now remotely related to...we do not have to feed them flesh. both dogs and cats exist in their thousands healthily on vegan diets now. I did a blog page with loads of supporting links about this including the Guinness world book of records dog Bramble who lived to 25 years old and Little Tyke a vegetarian lioness. thousands of healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. I did a blog page summary of links to Bramble the vegan Guinness world book of records in 2002 vegan dog who lived 25 years healthily. plus little tyke the vegetarian lioness true story. if it were unhealthy or not possible those as well as the thousands of others would not have thrived and lived so long. take a read ! http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

4. Vegan Dogs

Vegan Dogs Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    No one here seems to be aware of BRAMBLE ! astonishing. vegans unaware of the Guinness World Book of Records Book in 2002 longest lived dog then ! VEGAN ! 25 years old fed on home made veggies ! like most peasants hunting dogs have been for decades I add.

It is a "modern" phenomenon to buy dog and catfood.

For decades and still now...hunting dogs we kept and others still keep...get fed not MEAT but boiled veggies pastas etc ! people in the country with hunting dogs do not feed their huskies laikas etc meat ! that is expensive and wasted on hunting dogs.

Super fit...fast obviously as hunting dogs need high energy

My MODERN fancy breed dogs...like my cat...were fed bought flesh content foods...what a mistake that was.

It is Poison...giving DEATH and CRUELTY to dogs and cats is ridiculous and unnecessary . especially for vegans.

Cancers...antibiotics...low grade below human flesh etc. it is all unhealthy besides cruel.

My relatives LAUGHED at me...more money than sense they said.

Then my female dog got stomac ulcers...vet said go vegan the acidity in stomac is the issue...and now both my dogs are fed vegan kibble and super healthy. no more stomac ulcers.

There are thousands of long lived healthy vegan dogs and cats out there. BRAMBLE is the most famous of course.

Hope this is informative as i am astonished that vegans do not know these things.

http://vegan-information.com/Vegan_Dogs_and_Cats.html

5. Clareh13

Clareh13 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    I am facing this issue soon too. My dogs are 12 and 13 years old and I don't want to change their diet drastically. At the moment, as I am a very new vegan they are eating all the meat out of my freezer so are very happy right now! I think the way to deal with this for me will be to buy dog food that is as ethically produced as I can find.

The reason my dogs can't go out and hunt for their own meat is because of us humans, they would never choose to eat a vegan diet so I don't think I should impose it on them.

I don't think its at all appropriate to try and feed cats a vegan diet. If you don't want to feed them meat, don't get a cat, there are lots of other pets.

6. Vegan Dogs

Vegan Dogs Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    there is no ethically sourced dead animal meat. dead animals are dead. that is not ethical so get that stupid idead out of your head it isnt difficult to understand...dead animals are not ethical

you dog...has no choice in anything in his or her life

he has no choice to live free

what you feed your dog is the LEAST of the problem regarding choice

Noelle Obcarskas added 42 new photos.
    3 hrs ยท
    Pulford Chester England Belgian Shepherd Groenendael Vegan Black Dogs in the Snow 10th December 2017 morning.

Happy Healthy Vegan Dogs !

The Weather Forecasters GOT IT RIGHT yesterday...had snow first then so a safe bet wink wink ! [​IMG][​IMG]

My vegan high energy EXOCET Belgian Shepherds need high quality high energy dog food nutrition that is GMO free...antibiotics free...and not based therefore on dead animals full of those cancerous heart attack and aggression encouraging foods. Blood breeds blood. Smell and get used to the taste of blood ? bites more likely. Ask the military they know. That is why the Belgian Shepherds of the British Royals are again being destroyed.

Save lives...save your health...save the planet and wildlife...Go Vegan World.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Evelyn Smith

Evelyn Smith Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan Newbie
    Hi there, I am vegan but my elder brother feed them with meat.

8. donsabi

donsabi Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Other
    I have often heard the argument that humans should be vegans because of their teeth. If this argument is true then dogs and cats are clearly meat eaters. I have little doubt that a dog can exist on plants but I firmly believe they will not do well. I will continue to feed my dog meat based diet.

9. brownmetalhead
    Question

brownmetalhead Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    My goldendoodle is accidentally vegetarian. He doesn't like beef or liver, is allergic to chicken and lamb, and the only treats he'll eat are freeze dried cheese or sweet potato (i'll make them by myself sometimes). He has a vegetarian kibble that we buy from our breeder (she breeds doodle's for service dog training as well).