Advertisement

Veganism and thyroid

Discussion in 'Health' started by Rory17, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:54 AM.

1. Rory17

Rory17 Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Hi,
    A few weeks ago (before we went to Lanzarote - we came back Thursday, to hazard a guess), it was revealed after a blood test that I have an underactive thyroid, if I’m right. I’m on new medication for this, I have to take it an hour before eating in the morning.
    Anyhow, I went to the doctors today, and my doctor ‍⚕️ told me that her advice would be to go back to being vegetarian and not vegan, due to a vitamin/s. I can take a supplement instead, but her advice, and my dad’s advice and, probably, my mum’s advice would be to go back to being vegetarian rather than vegan.
    I don’t want to give up being vegan easily. I’m a very, very passionate vegan. I watch vegan videos on YouTube and wouldn’t want to give them up.
    Kind advice and tips welcome.
    May you and all sentient beings be perfectly well, healthy, happy and safe forever ♾.
    Have the best day and night ever!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sax
    Bookworm

Sax Active Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 1 / -4
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    None of us who reply will know as much about your health care needs as your doctors do. I think you should trust your doctors. But it sounds like your doctor told you you can take a supplement to meet your vitamin needs.

I'm not sure why she advised you to go back to vegetarian. I would demand a health plan that aligns with your lifestyle. If she thinks you should compromise on your deeply held beliefs for the sake of your health she owes you an explanation why animal products are better for your particular health and nutritional needs than healthy vegan food with supplements.

Try supplementing first. Seek a second opinion if at all possible. If your doctors continue to insist that your health care needs are better met on a vegetarian diet though you should listen to them. You can still consider yourself vegan if you're only consuming animal products under doctor's orders.

• Like Like x 2
  3. betiPT
    Surfing

betiPT Active Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Seek another opinion and maybe seek out a plant based Dr that has more knowledge on the topic :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TofuRobot
    Curious

TofuRobot Active Member

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Maybe also look for a plant based nutritionist, and do a lot of research. it is unclear to me what eggs and dairy will provide in terms of nutrients that you cannot get from plants that would benefit your condition. I am curious what your doc thinks that might be...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Three Chickpeas
    Caffeine Fix

Three Chickpeas Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Mama Chickpea was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid years ago and went on the daily medicine intake required for it. About 8 months after being vegan, her levels were indicative of over-active thyroid, and her dose has been reduced to very minimal. Still overactive. Doctor refuses to take her off because "it can't be healed, its permanent, this is an anomaly"

What I'm saying is, a vegan diet alone won't affect it negatively and if anything it could have a positive effect. Ensure you get a second opinion, but as long as you're supplementing anything you're deficient on (get blood work!), its not going to hurt you. Most doctors have very poor understanding of nutrition.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    my wife has hypothyroidism, as far as I can tell our vegan lifestyle has no effect (positive nor negative) on the condition

• Like Like x 1
  7. Three Chickpeas
    Caffeine Fix

Three Chickpeas Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    Not meaning to hijack the thread, but curious for your situation. How was the nutrition shift for your wife after changing? Not saying its correlated, but curious.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    I will have to ask her when I get home from work, this happened a decade before we met :yum

• Like Like x 1
  9. mavrick45
    Fiendish

mavrick45 Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 1 / -0
    Lifestyle/Diet:
    Vegan
    ok, sorry for the lateness of the response. I asked her about it and she said that she did not change her diet at all when she discovered her thyroid condition.

• Like Like x 1