VeggieViews Communal Cook-Fest!! - May 21st, 2016

I'm always up for a little help! I was literally just going to layer my usual ingredients in the pot and hit "on" lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that's not the way you can do it in the slow cooker as you'll end up with a messy mash.:p

Firstly, oil the crock pot and add some sauce ( I use passata) then layer in the pasta plus garnish. Add less sauce ( I don't use béchamel) than usual. I add more sauce on the top and finally the slices of cheese. The pasta can be broke into unequal sizes as it all comes out ok in the end. With slow cooker lasagne, you really do have to check to see whether you have enough liquid form time to time. I just add a tiny bit of stock if necessary but you don't want it to wet if not you'll end up with a mess.

Did you see the photo of the lasagne and the distinct layers, that I posted above ?

Edit : It also comes out far better if you cook it the day before and leave to cool before reheating it. The slices are far neater.

Last edited:
Yes, but if I don't buy one before then, can I just make any dish to join in?:chef:

I don't see why not! :) You could do a one-pot dish, like the rest of us.... Do you have a large oven-safe skillet? I enjoyed making Basque potatoes like that a while back.... Basque Potatoes » The Daily Dish -- I used tiny taters instead of Russet, and just used one big-*** skillet, started on stove, finished in oven. No muss, no fuss, DEEEELISH!

Or try some sort of casserole, maybe..... hell, it's up to you, hon! LOL :D

Last edited:
Was leafing through my Fix-It and Forget-It Vegetarian Cookbook, think I found a tasty contender.... Moroccan Stew! Cooking time is 4-6 hours, makes 8 servings.... I'll need to use Jer's slow-cooker, if he can find the damn cover for it. LOL

But these ingredients got me salivating just a bit... Right on down the list, it's got: onion, evoo, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cayenne, allspice, salt (meh), water (duh), butternut squash, potatoes, carrots, plum tomatoes, zucchini, & garbanzos. :drool:

Wondering where the hell the garlic is... and turmeric... and bay leaves. Well, those are obvious add-ins... thinking of NO salt & substituting low-sodium veggie broth for plain ol' water....

Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
*Cheater Alert* I am going to do stovetop cooking or oven cooking as I dont know if I can access a crockpot, is that ok? It will be dinner like though and in keeping with the theme.

*Cheater Alert* I am going to do stovetop cooking or oven cooking as I dont know if I can access a crockpot, is that ok? It will be dinner like though and in keeping with the theme.
Hey, if anything resembles "cheating", I'd say it's using a slow-cooker for absolutely everything. LOL :p

It's creepin' up on winter for you, though.... I just thought about Crockpots for the rest of us to avoid sweltering in our kitchens in the middle of summer. ;)

Hey, if anything resembles "cheating", I'd say it's using a slow-cooker for absolutely everything. LOL :p

It's creepin' up on winter for you, though.... I just thought about Crockpots for the rest of us to avoid sweltering in our kitchens in the middle of summer. ;)

I actually use my slow cooker just as much during the (very hot) Summer months as in Winter. Mainly because I like to make Summer vegetable bakes and also having leftovers. You can also just plug in the cooker anywhere in the home and you don't have to have extra heat in the kitchen.

Moreover in hot climates you can also serve the food at room temperature so I still make bakes, lasagne and Spanish style stews during the hotter months.;)

No, that's not the way you can do it in the slow cooker as you'll end up with a messy mash.:p

Firstly, oil the crock pot and add some sauce ( I use passata) then layer in the pasta plus garnish. Add less sauce ( I don't use béchamel) than usual. I add more sauce on the top and finally the slices of cheese. The pasta can be broke into unequal sizes as it all comes out ok in the end. With slow cooker lasagne, you really do have to check to see whether you have enough liquid form time to time. I just add a tiny bit of stock if necessary but you don't want it to wet if not you'll end up with a mess.

Did you see the photo of the lasagne and the distinct layers, that I posted above ?

Edit : It also comes out far better if you cook it the day before and leave to cool before reheating it. The slices are far neater.
I missed this post! Thanks for the tips. I'm still in and hoping to try this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk