Literature What are you currently reading?

I have been very disappointed with the books I have read lately. I deleted one book I bought on kindle and returned quite a few to Amazon Prime reading.

I just saw on IG about 4 books that scared the sh** out of someone and I have just reserved a couple at my library. 1. Heart shaped box by Joe Hill.
2. The Black Painting by Neil Olson. I have another book to pick up that Lou recommended too.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Yesterday I read "The Cabin at the End of the World" by Paul Tremblay. I am not sure how to categorize this book. It is horror, it is dystopian (maybe), it is definitely disturbing though I couldn't stop reading it. Little 7 year old Wen and her two dads are vacationing at a secluded cabin in New Hampshire. They are without cell service or wi-fi though there is a landline and satellite TV. When 4 strangers carrying strange homemade weapons appear, their lives change into a horror story. They are told that the four of them have been appointed to demand a sacrifice or the world will end. They must choose to sacrifice one of their family willingly. The story is told from different character perspectives and is really disturbing. I hated the ending but I won't go into details.

Yesterday I read "The Cabin at the End of the World" by Paul Tremblay. I am not sure how to categorize this book. It is horror, it is dystopian (maybe), it is definitely disturbing though I couldn't stop reading it. Little 7 year old Wen and her two dads are vacationing at a secluded cabin in New Hampshire. They are without cell service or wi-fi though there is a landline and satellite TV. When 4 strangers carrying strange homemade weapons appear, their lives change into a horror story. They are told that the four of them have been appointed to demand a sacrifice or the world will end. They must choose to sacrifice one of their family willingly. The story is told from different character perspectives and is really disturbing. I hated the ending but I won't go into details.
I saw the film that is based on that book. I quite enjoyed it. It was last year, I think. It was from the director who did The Sixth Sense.

Today I read "The Return of Ellie Black" by Emiko Jean. This is a new book published this year. It was amazing and I think it would make a good thriller movie. Two years ago 17 year old Ellie Black disappeared and suddenly she re-appears out of the woods disoriented and traumatized. Detective Chelsey Calhoun is on the case which brings up the tragic memory of her sister's disappearance and death 15 years ago. Ellie is uncooperative but Chelsey is determined to solve the mystery, especially after discovering a link with another girl's disappearance. This book is full of twists and I couldn't put it down. The story unfolds through Ellie's perspective as well as third person with Chelsey. There is a lot of tension and the outcome is mind blowing.

I found another audio cozy mystery. this is the 5th in a series. I'm not sure if there will be any more but I am throughly enjoying it. Gone With the Witch.
Mystery lovers with a taste for the witchy will be charmed by Angela M. Sanders’ spellbinding series featuring librarian witch Josie Way, her feline familiar, small town Oregon and, of course, murder! The perfect caper for fans of Bailey Cates, Adele Abbott, Juliet Blackwell, and “witchy library lore” (Kirkus Reviews)…

Reactions: Emma JC
I noticed that my "Saved for later" Bookshelf at the Public Library was overflowing. I decided to just put them all on hold and now a bunch of them have come in. I may have read a few of them but I'll figure that out as I go. The only issue is that although most of these I can keep for up to 15 weeks (as long as no one else puts them on hold), the new book are due back in 3 weeks.

IMG_3298.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I also got. a bunch of e-books. Those I'll read on my kindle. and I can keep them for as long as I want. I discovered as long as my Kindle is not connected to the internet the books never go back.

I have The Golden Enclaves. I wasn't sure if I read it before and I started it and realized I had. But I don't remember what happens and I'm enjoying it so I decided to keep going. it's short anyway.

The Convenant of Water
The Tipping Point
The Balad of Songbirds and Snakes
The Unlikely Spy
Whole
The City of Mirrors

Reactions: Emma JC
I also have a book from a while back I haven't gotten around to yet.
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang

Wow you have a lot of reading to do @Lou ! Today I finished another Mary Kay Andrews romance called "Summer Rental." I have been enjoying this author's books which take place in the South and are about quite believable women dealing with all kinds of issues. There is always a bit of mystery and sometimes murder in with the romance stuff. This one is about a group of 30 something women who have been friends since childhood. They rent a vacation home in Nag's Head, NC and share the issues in their lives. Of course there is a hunky dude who is the landlord and one of the women falls for him. The mystery part comes in when a stranger who is very secretive moves in. Fun read as usual.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Had some really bad luck with the last 4-5 audiobooks...I couldn't even finish them. A lot of times it's because of the narrator. It amazes me how some narrators are chosen to read for audio versions. They really do make/break a book.

Right now I'm listening to Sweet Tea and Southern Grace. It's not great but I'm interested enough that I will likely see it through. I doubt I will continue with the series. Its a little too Southern Christian for my liking but it's not preachy so that's saving it from going in the dumpster lol.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I have The Golden Enclaves. I wasn't sure if I read it before and I started it and realized I had. But I don't remember what happens and I'm enjoying it so I decided to keep going. it's short anyway.

Yes I had read it and didn't remember that much. As I read it I could remember what happens next which was ok. I still enjoyed it. Finished it this morning.

The Golden Enclaves is the third book in the The Scholomance series. Think of an R-rated Harry Potter.

It's by Naomi Novik, the author of the Temeraire series. If you like books with dragons....

My 2 library books.
It is a Netflix show, and I love reading the book first. It is a young adult book, but whatever. I am staring on this first.
It was on a summer thriller reading book list. I just read one of her books.

My 2 library books.
It is a Netflix show, and I love reading the book first. It is a young adult book, but whatever. I am staring on this first.
It was on a summer thriller reading book list. I just read one of her books.
I have read several of Mary Kay Andrews books and I really like them!