Literature What are you currently reading?

Run Your Own Mail Server, by Michael W. Lucas. I pre-ordered this book (in e-book format) long before it was completed because I think it's such an important topic. The author is a legend in the open-source software community, and he's written several other well-received books in the IT/sysadmin category in the past. (Edit: He's also the author of the infamous short story (53 pages) Savaged By SystemD: an erotic Unix encounter which is just ... Well, the title says it all!)

my honey has been running his own mail server for years and it is a wonderful thing to have such control!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I finally got the final installment of "The Children of Blood and Bone" trilogy. It is called 'Children of Anguish and Anarchy" and is very violent and bloody throughout the whole book. It is the big final war between the various kingdoms in Orisha. Lots of crazy magic stuff going on and an emotional ending.
Today I finished Anne Hillerman's first book continuing the stories her father started way back in 1970. "Spiderwoman's Daughter" is a good mystery and the main character is Bernie, the female Navaho police officer who is married to Jim Chee who is one of the main characters in the original novels. Joe Leaphorn is also in the book in a minor role. I liked it and will get more of her books. I like all the information about Navaho culture in these books.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I have just finished an amazing book called "Extinction" by Douglas Preston. It had been recommended on one of my reading lists and I saw it in the new books section when I was at the library. This book would make a good movie! It is Jurassic Park taken to a whole other level! In the Colorado mountains, there is an exclusive resort and laboratory where the scientists have "de-extincted" mammals from the very distant past such as wooly mammoths and giant sloths. Tourists pay a hefty price to stay there and view these creatures. When a couple on their honeymoon disappear in the resort camping area, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation is called in. Francis Cash is the newly promoted investigator in charge. With Sheriff Colcord and a CSI team, they find a deep mystery surrounding the resort. This is a wild ride of murder and science gone mad. It's fiction.... or is it? Great book!

I seem to have been going to the library every other Friday and get 2 books. I did not have any waiting for me, so I just picked 2.
I started this one.
Next one.

Yesterday I read another Mary Kay Andrews book called "Blue Christmas." It is one of her older books, published in 2006 and I have to say I was not impressed. Her newer books are much much better! This is a short book that I read in a couple of hours. It is basically a simple Hallmark Channel Christmas move story. It's nice enough but predictable and kind of cheesy. Just ok.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I read "Iron Lake" by William Kent Krueger. I have read a couple of his other books and he is an excellent writer. He lives in Minnesota and is very knowledgeable about Native American culture in the area. This book is the first in a 17 book series and was published in 1998 so pretty dated. It doesn't really affect the story much; they just don't have cell phones. It is about a former Sheriff in a small town in Northern Minnesota in the iron ranges. There's murder and intrigue and twists and turns. Lots of info on history and NA culture as the character is part NA. Really good story and I will look for more in this series about Cork O'Connor.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I most recently read (actually, re-read) "The Wednesday Wars", by Gary D. Schmidt. A co-worker gave it to me some time ago; it's not the sort of thing I usually read, but I liked it. It's set in the late 1960s: 7th-grader Holling Hoodhood is Presbyterian, but the rest of the class is either Jewish or Catholic. He studies the plays of Shakespeare with his teacher on Wednesday afternoons, when all the other students have left to attend religious instruction at their synagogue or church.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Now I'm reading "Ordinary Monsters", by J.M. Miro, set (mostly) in Victorian England. I borrowed it from the library-It's 658 pages long, and probably costs a lot more than I'd want to shell out! It's about people who have different powers or abilities of unknown origin, and an estate where many of them wind up. It reminds me a little of the sci-fi series "Heroes" from a few years back, although it's not as good IMHO.

• Informative
Now I'm reading "Ordinary Monsters", by J.M. Miro, set (mostly) in Victorian England. I borrowed it from the library-It's 658 pages long, and probably costs a lot more than I'd want to shell out! It's about people who have different powers or abilities of unknown origin, and an estate where many of them wind up. It reminds me a little of the sci-fi series "Heroes" from a few years back, although it's not as good IMHO.
sounds like x-men.

Haunting Danielle series. I'm on book 8. There's 33!!! Lol 🤦🏻‍♀️ I'm not sure I'll make it through all of them. It's entertaining for the most part but some books are better than others. I don't know if I'm invested enough in the characters to keep going, especially since it looks like the guy I wanted/thought Danielle would end up with isn't who she ends up with. Unless they pull a switch on me lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Yesterday I read another Mary Kay Andrews book called "Blue Christmas." It is one of her older books, published in 2006 and I have to say I was not impressed. Her newer books are much much better! This is a short book that I read in a couple of hours. It is basically a simple Hallmark Channel Christmas move story. It's nice enough but predictable and kind of cheesy. Just ok.
I bet I'd like it lol. 😁

Reactions: Chryssie
Three books going.
In hardcover is the Icarus Job. This is part of a series by Timothy Zahn. third in the series and just one more after this. Science Fiction. Sort of mystery and thriller.

On my Kindle, I'm reading The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva. WWII spy story.

and on Audio, Keeper of Stories by Sally Page. Next up is Tourist Season by Carl Hiassen. This if the first Hiassen I've seen on Hoopla - I hope they do more.

This book is very good. A real page turner. A woman is at London underground and two of her little girls accidentally get on a train without her and one of them goes missing by the next station. I'm not sure where it is leading but I'm halfway through.
20240829_122421.jpg

Three books going.
In hardcover is the Icarus Job. This is part of a series by Timothy Zahn. third in the series and just one more after this. Science Fiction. Sort of mystery and thriller.

On my Kindle, I'm reading The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva. WWII spy story.

and on Audio, Keeper of Stories by Sally Page. Next up is Tourist Season by Carl Hiassen. This if the first Hiassen I've seen on Hoopla - I hope they do more.
Two of the "Icarus" series are in the library I usually go to; they were recently acquired and are in the "New Books" area. Maybe I'll get one of them out after I'm done with what I'm reading now. I've read a couple of other stories by Zahn, but it was a long time ago; I'd probably remember them if I saw the titles. I might have read them (in serial form) in one of the science fiction magazines.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC