Literature What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading an older series by Kelly Armstrong. The first book is "Omens" and I am almost done with it. This book was published in 2013 and the series is "Cainsville." Ms. Armstrong is known for her writing about the occult and this is in that genre. I really liked the new series I read and her writing is outstanding so I thought I would give this a try. It's good and creepy with interesting characters. Told by a young woman who finds out at 24 that she is adopted and her birth parents were serial killers. Lots of strange happenings take place as she struggles with this knowledge and starts investigating.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Several of us here have read The Silvers, a three part series. It is also really long and has an X-men vibe.
Thanks! Maybe I'll check it out. ETA: my library has an adult sci-fi series by Daniel Price- I think that's it.

It's kind of odd that I like sci-fi and fantasy, but usually don't care for violence. Zenna Henderson's stories tend to have little or no bloodshed, yet they're still interesting (IMHO). They're unusual in that regard... maybe because they seem to be meant mostly for children?

Last edited:
I read another Anne Hillerman book yesterday afternoon called "Cave of Bones." It was another of the series her father started years ago. The main character in her books is Bernie Manualito, who is the wife of Jim Chee and also a Navajo police officer. This was a good mystery and fast paced enough that I read it really quickly.

• Informative
I signed up for the free 30 day trial of kindle unlimited. It is £10 a month after that.

I am so tempted to do so too however I already read 24/7 and so it seems like money better kept or I will never get a life.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Last night I finished another Lisa Wingate book called "Before We Were Yours." This was very similar to the other book I read by her. It is based on true events and is in the same format as the other book. That is part of the story is present day and part is in the past and they come together at the end. Again we learn about a shameful part of US history dealing with children. This time it is the Tennessee Children's Home Society run by a woman named Georgia Tann. Back in the Depression children were given up to the orphanage or sometimes stolen by this organization. The children were literally sold to wealthy families even if their parents tried to get them back. The book is the story of a group of children who were taken when their father took their mother to the hospital to give birth. There was terrible abuse and it is disturbing but it is facts as the author has several references at the end. The present day story is about Avery, a young lawyer from a political dynasty in South Carolina who is being prepared to be a senator as her father and grandfather before her. She becomes involved in the mystery of the Memphis Tennessee Children's Society when she meets an elderly woman at a political function. This is a compelling novel which brought me to tears. It is about family love especially between sisters. Read it!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I did not fully realize "Under the Bridge" was based on a true story when I put it on the library list. I am about the ages of the teens. The said it was in 1997 and they were 14-16 years old. I was 16-17 that year. It is so sad.

• Friendly
Just finished

Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant #4

A Call to Insurrection​

David Weber, Timothy Zahn, Thomas Pope

I am pretty sure I read this book before. But the only thing I seem to remember is a side story. So maybe I read that in an anthology of short stories or something.

The side story was a murder mystery, and I know Zahn is sort of an expert in SF mysteries - but this one wasn't very good. And it added little to nothing to the main story except 50 or more pages.

The rest of the book was pretty good. Although since Weber and Zahn are busy writing other series I guess this book was mostly written by Pope.

Book number 5 won't be an automatic get and read. I'll wait till I see some reviews. Always liked the Honorverse books but after twenty or more I may have reached my limit.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60132415-a-call-to-insurrection#CommunityReviews

I wanted something "light" after reading some pretty "heavy" books lately so I browsed the new book section and came up with "Hate to Fake it to You" by Amanda Sellett. This is described as a "rom-com" and it is that. Libby is a twenty-something aspiring writer living in Hawaii. She and her BFF/roommate work at many jobs, mostly in food service, to make ends meet. The other member of this friend group is Keoki who is a chef who dreams of having his own restaurant. Libby and her friends create a social media influencer called Lillibet who is rich and accomplished giving out advice on pretty much everything. She cooks (not really, that's Keoki). She is an artist, no that's Jean her BFF. The only thing that is really Libby is the writing. When a fan who is a young member of a media dynasty, contacts Lillibet about becoming a partner, the friends manage to manufacture a life for Lillibet complete with a fancy house and a fake husband. The book is funny and there is romance and also some more serious things about life.