Literature What are you currently reading?

Someone (maybe not one of yous), recommended Passages by Justin Cronin It's the first part of a trilogy. I only got thru one third of it before it became due. It's a library e-book and after 2 weeks they evaporate. On my old kindle I would just turn off wifi and I could keep it till I turned wifi back on*. That trick still works on my new kindle.
But I finally gave up and turned on Wifi and let it go back home. There are two more books after this and I just don't like this one enough to commit to two more.
One of you recommended Extinction, a novel by Daniel Preston. When I looked at the cover I didn't think I would like it. It looked sort of similar to Jurassic Park (BTW, I loved the first book and movie). So I thought it would just be a rehash. but it was great. A real page turner. I couldn't put it down. And it had me hooked right from the start. The premise is similar to Jurassic Park but it's a very different type of story.
I got to read it a lot while I've been beating the heat in libraries and by the pool.
Yesterday at the main library, I turned wifi back on and let Passages go back and then got two more books.
One was recommended by you guys, The Soulmate Equation, by Lauren Christina. At first I didn't think I would like this book but I am enjoying it a lot.
I also got the ebook, The Covenant of Water, by Abraham Vegrgesse. I love this author but I'm not so sure about this book. As I was leaving the library I passed a display of "quick hits" and they had the hardcover. So I checked it out in hardcover just in case I don't finish the ebook in less than two weeks**.
They also had The Comfort of Ghosts by Winspear in hardcover. I definitely want to read that, so I checked that out too. I started that last night - Winspear states in the introduction that it will be the last Maisie Dobbs novel (unless she writes another).
Right not I'm reading The Comfort of Ghosts at home and The Soulmate Equation when I'm out and about.
Saving The Covenant of Water for next.

*on my old kindle, I could leave the wifi turned off forever, download library books to my computer and then transfer them via USB to my old kindle. So I had a little library of library books. I don't think that tricks works on the new kindle - but it may. I only tried it once.

** at my library with most hardcovers you get them for three weeks but when they are due they automatically renew - up to 5 times - unless someone else has put a hold on them. the rule is different with new books so I may not be able to keep The Covenant of Water that long. We'll see. We also don't have overdue fines any more. but I don't like to keep books past the due dates regardless.

Reactions: PTree15