Literature What are you currently reading?

I am currently reading an older series by Kelly Armstrong. The first book is "Omens" and I am almost done with it. This book was published in 2013 and the series is "Cainsville." Ms. Armstrong is known for her writing about the occult and this is in that genre. I really liked the new series I read and her writing is outstanding so I thought I would give this a try. It's good and creepy with interesting characters. Told by a young woman who finds out at 24 that she is adopted and her birth parents were serial killers. Lots of strange happenings take place as she struggles with this knowledge and starts investigating.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
Several of us here have read The Silvers, a three part series. It is also really long and has an X-men vibe.
Thanks! Maybe I'll check it out. ETA: my library has an adult sci-fi series by Daniel Price- I think that's it.

It's kind of odd that I like sci-fi and fantasy, but usually don't care for violence. Zenna Henderson's stories tend to have little or no bloodshed, yet they're still interesting (IMHO). They're unusual in that regard... maybe because they seem to be meant mostly for children?

Last edited:
I read another Anne Hillerman book yesterday afternoon called "Cave of Bones." It was another of the series her father started years ago. The main character in her books is Bernie Manualito, who is the wife of Jim Chee and also a Navajo police officer. This was a good mystery and fast paced enough that I read it really quickly.

• Informative
Last night I finished another Lisa Wingate book called "Before We Were Yours." This was very similar to the other book I read by her. It is based on true events and is in the same format as the other book. That is part of the story is present day and part is in the past and they come together at the end. Again we learn about a shameful part of US history dealing with children. This time it is the Tennessee Children's Home Society run by a woman named Georgia Tann. Back in the Depression children were given up to the orphanage or sometimes stolen by this organization. The children were literally sold to wealthy families even if their parents tried to get them back. The book is the story of a group of children who were taken when their father took their mother to the hospital to give birth. There was terrible abuse and it is disturbing but it is facts as the author has several references at the end. The present day story is about Avery, a young lawyer from a political dynasty in South Carolina who is being prepared to be a senator as her father and grandfather before her. She becomes involved in the mystery of the Memphis Tennessee Children's Society when she meets an elderly woman at a political function. This is a compelling novel which brought me to tears. It is about family love especially between sisters. Read it!

I did not fully realize "Under the Bridge" was based on a true story when I put it on the library list. I am about the ages of the teens. The said it was in 1997 and they were 14-16 years old. I was 16-17 that year. It is so sad.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Just finished

Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant #4

A Call to Insurrection​

David Weber, Timothy Zahn, Thomas Pope

I am pretty sure I read this book before. But the only thing I seem to remember is a side story. So maybe I read that in an anthology of short stories or something.

The side story was a murder mystery, and I know Zahn is sort of an expert in SF mysteries - but this one wasn't very good. And it added little to nothing to the main story except 50 or more pages.

The rest of the book was pretty good. Although since Weber and Zahn are busy writing other series I guess this book was mostly written by Pope.

Book number 5 won't be an automatic get and read. I'll wait till I see some reviews. Always liked the Honorverse books but after twenty or more I may have reached my limit.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60132415-a-call-to-insurrection#CommunityReviews

• Informative
I wanted something "light" after reading some pretty "heavy" books lately so I browsed the new book section and came up with "Hate to Fake it to You" by Amanda Sellett. This is described as a "rom-com" and it is that. Libby is a twenty-something aspiring writer living in Hawaii. She and her BFF/roommate work at many jobs, mostly in food service, to make ends meet. The other member of this friend group is Keoki who is a chef who dreams of having his own restaurant. Libby and her friends create a social media influencer called Lillibet who is rich and accomplished giving out advice on pretty much everything. She cooks (not really, that's Keoki). She is an artist, no that's Jean her BFF. The only thing that is really Libby is the writing. When a fan who is a young member of a media dynasty, contacts Lillibet about becoming a partner, the friends manage to manufacture a life for Lillibet complete with a fancy house and a fake husband. The book is funny and there is romance and also some more serious things about life.

So a while back I told you that my old Kindle touch's home button stopped working. Which meant that as soon as I finished the current book I would need a new kindle. *
I tried every trick in the book to fix it and the last one was to try and clean the button with isopropyl alcohol. I was visiting my sister and I asked her if she had any - and she did. So I tried cleaning it and it didn't fix it. So I told her I was going to buy a used one. She suggested a used one from Amazon - and I already checked them and they were sort of expensive. I also had checked Craig's List - but there were none nearby. She asked me if I checked FaceBook's MarketPlace. I don't have a FaceBook account so of course I hadn't. But she does and checked it and found a used one for $35. I picked it up on my way home.

The only thing is that on my old Kindle I could turn off wifi, load library books via USB and they would stay on my Kindle for forever - as opposed to returning themselves to the library when they were due. This was especially helpful because my library books that are on hold tend to become available in bunches.

Not sure if that trick will work on the PaperWhite. when I would download a library book on to my computer I would hang on to it. I tried to transfer a few to the PaperWhite but it wouldn't open them. I did take a new book out of the library, and turned off Wifi so I'll see if that trick still works in about 3 weeks.

I'm pretty sure it won't but I've already resolved myself to that I'll just borrow one book at a time and read them in the allotted time. Books that are on hold that become available can be put back on hold - without you going to the end of the line.

So now I'm going to read The Passage by Justin Cronin. I can't remember if it was recommended by one of you or somewhere else.

I also still have the Unlikely Spy on my old Kindle. I'm only about 20% thru that book - but I lost my place.

*on the Kindle Touch - the home button and the on/off are the only moving/mechanical switches. And the only way to get to the "library" is by pressing the home button.

• Informative
I read "Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann. I had wanted to see the movie after all the publicity about it but it was on Apple+ so I got the book. Now I still want to see the movie to see how they cast the people and how they present this very complicated and horrible story. Very interesting about the murders of possibly hundreds of Osage Native Americans in Oklahoma back in the Depression. This is also when the notorious J. Edgar Hoover came to power and the FBI was "invented."
I might get the trial of Apple+ just to see this movie!

Me again! This afternoon I read a memoir by Marilyn Moss Rockefeller called "Mountain Girl: From Barefoot to Boardroom". It was a short book and quick read. Marilyn grew up in Appalachia in West Virginia. She was raised by her grandparents until her mother was able to care for her. Her childhood was unstable and she never felt she fit in anywhere. She overcame her obstacles and became the CEO of a successful business. It was interesting. She is currently married to James Rockefeller of the well know family but had her business with her first husband through the 70's and 80's. She wrote a book about her first husband who was a designer and artist.

Waiting for me at the library.
Is the First in "Will Trent" series. I have not watch the show, so I decided to start the books first.
I see it is being made into a movie. I am in a few fb book clubs and they all love Freida McFadden books. I think I will give one a go.

I see it is being made into a movie. I am in a few fb book clubs and they all love Freida McFadden books. I think I will give one a go.
I read that a few days ago. Her books are page-turners. I like her Housemaid books the best.

Wow. Pleasantly surprised by a book I just listened to, again outside of my normal genre. One Small Mistake by Dandy Smith. It was so good I'm starting another book by her, The Wrong Daughter.

I should mention the books are 12 hours long. I did skip some chapters in the middle and it made no difference. I knew what was going on. I don't need to get to know every mundane detail about characters in order to follow a story. They can easily be cut down to 8 hours.

Reactions: PTree15