Literature What are you currently reading?

This book is very good. A real page turner. A woman is at London underground and two of her little girls accidentally get on a train without her and one of them goes missing by the next station. I'm not sure where it is leading but I'm halfway through.
View attachment 30978
Audible doesn't have this one. 😞 But there are two others by the same author and they sound amazing! I may have a listen.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
Hoopla has The Other Side of the Wall.
I'll try that one first since it's free.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've read a couple of other stories by Zahn,
Zahn is most famous for his Star Wars novels - which I have not read.
I started reading his Black Collar and Cobra series in the 80s and mostly liked them.
He also wrote a few novels in the Honor Harrington Universe - and I read everything in the HH sphere.
But I became a big fan when I read the Quadrail series which are sci fi mysteries.
One of the Quadrail novels in a homage to the 13 steps by Hitchcock - which I was impressed with.
IMHO, these Icarus novels are better than Cobra but not as good as Quadrail

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
My 10 year old Kindle Touch is almost done. The home button no longer works. which means that once I finish this book I won't be able to go to another. I'll try doing a reset after I finish this book. So maybe it will be resurrected.
I do have a kindle Fire 10, but it's not portable enough and also too heavy. I'll first look for a used kindle 7 on Craig's list

I read another new book from my suggested books list called "Shelterwood" by Lisa Wingate. This mystery thriller could be called historical fiction as it is based on real events in Oklahoma. The book is two stories that eventually come together at the end. One plot takes place in 1990 and is about a woman park ranger in a newly designated National Park. The other is the story of a group of orphaned children in 1909 shortly after Oklahoma became a state. It is about corruption and the mistreatment of the Native Americans in the area. I had no idea these horrible things took place as our history is often whitewashed. The modern story concerns the discovery of bones in a hidden cave, missing persons, and murder. It is a disturbing read at times but the writing is compelling and I will look for this author's other books.

I have been reading books by Alisha Rai - there are a few different series that do seem to relate to each other - I finished The Right Swipe yesterday which is the start of a second series and it is about the world of dating apps and was quite interesting. There are sexy episodes in all her books, it is not the main theme.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I walked up to the library for two on hold for me.
The first was I saw on an online book club, horror. It is for next month Latin Heritage month. The summary sounds fantastic. It is a short book.

The second.
I have read 2 of his books recently. The last I read in 2 days. It was so hard to put down.

I have 2 more on their way to the library for next week.

The first was I saw on an online book club, horror. It is for next month Latin Heritage month. The summary sounds fantastic. It is a short book.

The second.
I have read 2 of his books recently. The last I read in 2 days. It was so hard to put down.

I love Harlan Coben! I have read several of his and all have been great. I read that one too.

• Agree

The second.

They both look good. I just bought them on Amazon as they were only a few £ each.

I read another Andrea Mara book yesterday. Someone in the Attic. It was quite tense in places.

I just saw one of her books is 99p today so I bought it. Hide and seek. Ooh, and another called One Click is on Prime reading so I will put that on my kindle too.

one thing I love about Libby is that is you can build up some good karma by returning books early and so you get a chance at early reading of new books you have on Hold - yesterday I received JD Robb's new one Passions in Death (Eve and Roarke) - always good

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and PTree15
I gave up on the hurricane season one. The book was very difficult, I did not finish.
I enjoyed "the match". It was easy and fun. I read it in 24 hours.
I have 2 books at the library waiting on me.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm on book 18 of the haunting Danielle series. The first 7-8 were weak but something made me hang on. Of course, there are parts of each book that are good and some books are better than others. By book 11-12 it started getting more interesting. Then by 15-16 I really liked it a lot and was excited. But 17 disappointed lol. I do see myself sticking with it. When it becomes boring I just busy myself with something else while I listen. It's the kind of story where you can miss stuff in the middle and it doesn't really matter.

The love interest part of the storyline was so disappointing. Then there was a surprise twist. It just took forever to get there. Initially, I hated that it was going there but eventually I came around to it because it was kind of interesting. And now I'm curious to see how far it goes. Fourteen more books to go. I should be done in two weeks lol. It's kind of fun...like binging a tv series which is my favorite thing to do. I love book series that stick with the same characters. I hate when they call it a series but have different characters for each book. The only similarity is the location setting. That is not a series to me.

I'm now up-to-date on Zahn's Icarus series.
But according to the Internets, there are at least two more planned. If I got this right, last four all came out within the last 16 months. I knew Zahn was prolific but this rate make me suspect that he is getting a lot of help with these. Some successful authors have little factory farms, where a staff of writers help churn out novel after novel. Not sure if any have admitted to it but many people suspect authors like Patterson and Michener of doing it.
These Icarus novels are science fiction/mystery/spy thrillers. Zahn has done other books in this genre and these are not the best examples. The mystery part is the weakest link because the story is so complex and convoluted there is no way a reader can figure it out. plus a lot of the "clues" are only revealed close to the end.
I'll probably end up reading the rest of the series when it comes out but I won't rush to the library as soon as it comes out.

Another walk to the library. It was HOT.
A Netflix show on this one. It was on my wait list for a while.
And the second of the Thursday murder club books.

Now I'm reading "Ordinary Monsters", by J.M. Miro, set (mostly) in Victorian England. I borrowed it from the library-It's 658 pages long, and probably costs a lot more than I'd want to shell out! It's about people who have different powers or abilities of unknown origin, and an estate where many of them wind up. It reminds me a little of the sci-fi series "Heroes" from a few years back, although it's not as good IMHO.

sounds like x-men.
It was okay, and it was something to read at night with the radio on. It's the first book of a trilogy, but I don't think I'll bother with the rest of it.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
It was okay, and it was something to read at night with the radio on. It's the first book of a trilogy, but I don't think I'll bother with the rest of it.
Several of us here have read The Silvers, a three part series. It is also really long and has an X-men vibe.