Literature What are you currently reading?

I've just finished I Heard The Owl Call My Name which was really good. I have a ton of books waiting to be read but have
little time atm.

"Amid the grandeur of the remote Pacific Northwest stands Kingcome, a village so ancient that, according to Kwakiutl myth, it was founded by the two brothers left on earth after the great flood. The Native Americans who still live there call it Quee, a place of such incredible natural richness that hunting and fishing remain primary food sources.

But the old culture of totems and potlatch is being replaces by a new culture of prefab housing and alcoholism. Kingcome's younger generation is disenchanted and alienated from its heritage. And now, coming upriver is a young vicar, Mark Brian, on a journey of discovery that can teach him—and us—
about life, death, and the transforming power of love."

Last edited:
I've just finished The Owl Called My Name which was really good. I have a ton of books waiting to be read but have
little time atm.
Thanks for the idea.:flower: I've read the summary and going to read the book or watch the movie for sure. I've already found it on Youtube:rolleyes:

Thanks for the idea.:flower: I've read the summary and going to read the book or watch the movie for sure. I've already found it on Youtube:rolleyes:

Yes, I must also try and watch it on Youtube. Everytime that I have tried to watch it on True TV my satellite dish has moved.

I used to read like crazy, but haven't had time in the past few years. Recently a book I've been wanting to read became available and decided to take the time to read it. It was wonderful to escape from the stress of the election for awhile, and made me realize how much I missed reading.

I read The night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Loved it. :)

Reactions: Val
I used to read like crazy, but haven't had time in the past few years. Recently a book I've been wanting to read became available and decided to take the time to read it. It was wonderful to escape from the stress of the election for awhile, and made me realize how much I missed reading.

I read The night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Loved it. :)

I started reading that and then got stalled about a third of the way in. I put the book aside, left it too long, forgot what I read, and when I picked up the book again, the bookmark had fallen out and I couldn't remember where I left off. So I'm going to have to start it all over again. In the meantime, I'm reading other books because I have a short attention span and a habit of starting new books before finishing the old ones. :fp:

Am now reading "A day in the Life of Ivan Denisowich" by Alexander Solshenizyn as suggested in the "9 books to read as preparation for an America under president Trump" thread.

Am now reading "A day in the Life of Ivan Denisowich" by Alexander Solshenizyn as suggested in the "9 books to read as preparation for an America under president Trump" thread.

By the way, is that thread on this forum? I don't see it. Can you post a link please?

By the way, "1984" is included in the "Trending" list in iBooks, so apparently others have had the same idea. :p "To Kill a Mockingbird" is also in the list.

Last edited:
I am trying to race through the books I have at the moment and I just finished Listen, Liberal today. It made me understand the US election a lot more.:up:Donald Trump is moving to the White House, and liberals put him there | Thomas Frank | Opinion | The Guardian

I agree with a lot of this, but I keep seeing this idea repeated over and over about how Bernie could've beaten Clump, and at this point I don't think I agree. As much as I love Bernie that was my one big fear with the idea of him being our candidate. If the assured victory candidate couldn't even do it...

I agree with a lot of this, but I keep seeing this idea repeated over and over about how Bernie could've beaten Clump, and at this point I don't think I agree. As much as I love Bernie that was my one big fear with the idea of him being our candidate. If the assured victory candidate couldn't even do it...

The book was really interesting to me as it showed the weakness of the Democratic party over the years and the Liberal elitism that seems to be ingrained in the party. The Republican party seems like a total nightmare to me as an outsider so I didn't really understand why people voted the way they did.

I didn't realise that so many people felt that the Democratic party has abandoned a lot of working class (or middle class) people in America and the reasons they felt that way. It has some parallels in the UK, but obviously not to the same extent as we have the NHS, a decent welfare sysyem, maternity benefits etc... here.

Reactions: FortyTwo
"Harry Potter And The Cursed Child" (or is it "Accursed..."?). It's a script of the play, with staging comments. I sort of like it except that it has some of the characters still acting kind of like they did in the original 7 books, while the play is supposed to take place about 20 years later.

Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life

Been on my to-read list for like four years now, about halfway through so far. It's pretty amusing and some of it is just unbelievably out there.

Reactions: Second Summer
The next book I'm going to read is The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain - John E Sarno.