Literature What are you currently reading?

Could that be because you've got too many other things?
Sorry, Moll, couldn't resist that.

Haha, maybe.:)

I was thinking earlier about this past year as it's coming up to a new one. I have read a lot less this year and I'm not sure why. I probably read about 1-2 books a week in 2016 and probably only read about 2 books a month in 2017.

Henry VIII was not the best husband a woman could wish for

Bit of an understatement, lol!:D

I just finished reading The Girl in the Spider's Web. It was hard to get into at first, but it ended up being really good after a few chapters.

I'm reading "The White People and Other Weird Stories." Amazon sent the wrong book to my mother by accident and they didn't ask her to send it back, so she gave it to me thinking I might like it. I find it boring and interesting at the same time. Boring because the stories move so damn slow, and interesting because I like to see how an early 1900s person thinks. Some of the terms are so outdated they need footnotes.

Reactions: Val
30 Lessons for Living - Karl Pillemer. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm not finding the messages particularly earth-shattering. Make sure you are friends with the person you marry, it's a bad idea for parents to hit their children. Fairly obvious advice!

I'm going to read a Linwood Barclay book after this, it's the third one in a trilogy. I started it ages ago!

Just finished the first two books in The Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy by Peter Rothfuss.

Also just read Gilded Cage by Vic James. Some very pertinent political analogy, set on an alternate earth.

Also just finished Arnaldur Indridason’s series about Detective Inspector Erlendur Sveinsson of Reykjavik.

The last book I read was Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers: The Acclaimed Guide to Stress, Stress-Related Diseases, and Coping.

30 Lessons for Living - Karl Pillemer. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm not finding the messages particularly earth-shattering. Make sure you are friends with the person you marry, it's a bad idea for parents to hit their children. Fairly obvious advice!

I'm going to read a Linwood Barclay book after this, it's the third one in a trilogy. I started it ages ago!

The first book did get better towards the end. I still haven't read the Linwood Barclay one, I keep forgetting about it and buying new books!

Just finished the first two books in The Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy by Peter Rothfuss.

Am afraid you will have to wait some more time for the next book in the series ... I read them in 2011 and am still waiting for the third book ...

Last edited:
Am afraid you will have to wait some more time for the next book in the series ... I read them in 2011 and am still waiting for the third book ...
Yes, I figured I had a wait in store, when I looked at the publication dates!

I've also given up on the idea of Martin ever finishing the Fire and Ice series. I think that HBO getting ahead of him on the storyline has taken the spark out of it for him.

I know that you're a Bosch fan, @Andy_T . Have you ever read John Sandford's Prey series? I recently reread (listened on audiobook) from the beginning of the series, and developed a new appreciation of the author's clever writing style. It's a series that actually gets better, which is a rare thing - so many writers seem to get lazy over time, or get bogged down, or otherwise fizzle out.

I don't know whether I mentioned these books previously: Arnaldur Indridason's Inspector Erlunder series. No one has done Nordic noir better, IMO.

For everybody who likes Fantasy, I recently read two very enjoyable (and complete, on top of that) works by female Fantasy authors:

- a trilogy by Laini Taylor called "Daughter of Smoke and Bone".
- "Uprooted" by Naomi Novik

Both are highly advised, especially for readers who are interested in fairy tales of Eastern European origin !

Last edited:
I've been reading a lot of thrillers lately. One good one was The Old You by Louise Voss, I didn't guess some of the twists at all.

Another good one was The Thinnest Air by Minka Kent. It was like reading a soap opera and really trashy, haha, I quite enjoyed it.:lol:

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
I've been reading a lot of thrillers lately. One good one was The Old You by Louise Voss, I didn't guess some of the twists at all.

Another good one was The Thinnest Air by Minka Kent. It was like reading a soap opera and really trashy, haha, I quite enjoyed it.:lol:
I've read a review on "The old you",... and it's so sad... I'd like to read it, but i'm not sure if i would be able to make it through the end.:sniff: