Music What are you listening to now?

I bought The Killers new album as I had to have that to buy tickets to see them next year. I'm going to listen to that tomorrow when I use my trampoline.

I need to start listening to some new music as I generally listen to The Weekend and Taylor Swift all the time! I have downloaded three albums by Lorde for my phone. I heard her for the first time on the radio the other day.
I only know one song by Lorde, and it came out a few years ago; I think its title was "Royals". It had almost no instrumental accompaniment- just her voice (I think) overdubbed for the harmonies- quite unusual, and very good. I've been making a point of listening to new (to me) music every now and then, although I really do prefer classical, as well as 60s and 80s pop.

@Lou That was a nice recording of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by the Mona Lisa Twins. That song *usually comes off as kind of depressing, and there's a place for songs like that; the blues doesn't take vacations, and I think that song can say something for some of us during the holidays.

*: Quiet Riot's version of this song is ANYTHING BUT depressing. Anyone who's feeling down during the holidays: try giving it a listen.

Edited to add: I'm SURE I heard Quiet Riot cover this song on Dr Demento's radio show (I doubt I could have heard it anywhere else!!), but the closest thing to it I could find was Twisted Sister's version of this song- and that wasn't it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Raven
That was a nice recording of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by the Mona Lisa Twins. That song *usually comes off as kind of depressing, and there's a place for songs like that; the blues doesn't take vacations, and I think that song can say something for some of us during the holidays.
I've never thought that song depressing. The other one I posted, Last Christmas, I could see how some people might think that's a little sad.

And speaking of the blues......

@Tom L.
Ok, you are right. It can be a little depressing.

Some of the original lyrics penned by Martin were rejected before filming began. When presented with the original draft lyric, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing, and asked Martin to change the lyrics. Though he initially resisted, Martin made several changes to make the song more upbeat. For example, the lines "It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became "Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight".​

@Tom L.
Ok, you are right. It can be a little depressing.

Some of the original lyrics penned by Martin were rejected before filming began. When presented with the original draft lyric, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing, and asked Martin to change the lyrics. Though he initially resisted, Martin made several changes to make the song more upbeat. For example, the lines "It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became "Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight".​
I tried to find Billie Eilish's version, but the link kept sending me to other videos. I googled her version, and it's a lot like The Pretenders' rendition of it. The Pretenders' version is very slow-tempo, and the guitar part strikes me as sad- but the accompanying video is beyond weird!... people chasing each other on skis, someone in a Santa costume apparently trapped in the water under the ice...