Whatcha Eatin ? - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really really need to never buy crackers. I can finish a box in one sitting.
I wanted pasta, but now I'm full. Maybe I'll make some for tomorrow

Oh hey! Trader joes now sells nutritional yeast in 4 oz bags for $2.99. Lists all the nutritional info too, and 1 T has 134% B12-which I find lacking on most others-the complete info that is

Must be a pasta kind of day. I made fettuccine, and stir fried green beans, mushrooms, onion, and cut up bits of Bocca veggie burger, and added this mixture to the fettuccine. Then I made some brown gravy and poured that over everything. Made a very filling meal!

raw fermented oatgurt with strawberries. I love the sourish yogurty taste of this. All I do is soak some oat groats for 12 hours, then blend them with the soak water into a creamy concoction, and then ferment that in a glass jar in a yogurt maker (or warm place) for 48 hours. Much easier than making homemade yogurt.

Oatgurt with Strawberries.jpg

Reactions: Val
raw fermented oatgurt with strawberries. I love the sourish yogurty taste of this. All I do is soak some oat groats for 12 hours, then blend them with the soak water into a creamy concoction, and then ferment that in a glass jar in a yogurt maker (or warm place) for 48 hours. Much easier than making homemade yogurt.

And it's safe??? :eek:

View attachment 11214
I'm another one, wary of fermenting, outside of a yogurt maker! :weird:
How the heck is that easier than homemade yogurt? :???: You have a yogurt maker !:iiam:

I've been having Amande cultured almond yogurt. It's not really that yogurt like, somewhat between a pudding and yogurt I guess describes it. I have that Instant Pot with a yogurt setting but haven't used it for that since I got a tummy ache from the last batch

I'm another one, wary of fermenting, outside of a yogurt maker! :weird:
How the heck is that easier than homemade yogurt? :???: You have a yogurt maker !:iiam:

I've been having Amande cultured almond yogurt. It's not really that yogurt like, somewhat between a pudding and yogurt I guess describes it. I have that Instant Pot with a yogurt setting but haven't used it for that since I got a tummy ache from the last batch

I fermented it in my yogurt maker, not outside of it. ;)

It is easier to me than making yogurt because it requires no added ingredients other than water, and no heating/cooling, no thickeners etc. All of the yogurts I have made required heating and then cooling the plant milk and measuring temperature with a thermometer, and adding a thickener (agar or tapioca starch) which is tricky sometimes.

I have also fermented cashew cheese and it too is excellent! There are tons of fermented oatgurt recipes on the internet. It is safe I assure you! If it tastes too strong or has a bad smell you know it is no good. I wouldn't let it go beyond 48 hours. Some people only do 24 hours. I like mine more sourish. I have also sprouted lentils, mung beans, and quinoa and will admit those were more risky, but I feel ok about the oatgurt. I keep it in sterile glass jars with lids in my yogurt maker which also has a cover and even temps. It's all good! :)

BTW, I have made soy yogurt, cashew yogurt, and various trials of coconut milk/almond based yogurts. Loved them all but can't quite get them thick enough for my liking.

Reactions: Val
@Naturebound --I don't know why I'm reading things oddly, I thought you fermented it and then used the yogurt maker! Somehow I added an extra step!
When I was making soy yogurt I'd put it in a paper towel lined sieve overnight to drain out the soy whey.

Kapow! Right now! OMG, that's the dipping sauce I just whipped together for my ugly-*** egg rolls and holy CRAP, it's awesome!!
I can't even describe it... just ever-so-slight hint of sweetness with tang & spice & bite & WOOO! :drool:

OK... the rolls are finishing up in the oven... flash-fried 'em... it was scary... glad I had the splatter-screen handy. :rolleyes:

And here we go! YAY! :D Sooo hungry.... LOL

ER3.jpg

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
A salad made with gem lettuce, chicory, sliced Lincolnshire setian, roasted peanuts, vinaigrette and yeast flakes.

A kiwi and a yogurt for dessert.

Reactions: PTree15
Boiled baby potatoes with non dairy spread and lo salt. A glass of Pepsi Max. I'm trying to shake off a migraine.

A country style salad made with warm slices of seitan, Lincolnshire sausages served on a bed of rocket and spring radishes with an evo vinaigrette and a huge sprinkle of yeast flakes.

A banana for dessert.

Reactions: KLS52
A country style salad made with warm slices of seitan, Lincolnshire sausages served on a bed of rocket and spring radishes with an evo vinaigrette and a huge sprinkle of yeast flakes.

A banana for dessert.
Loving all of it except for the banana for dessert. I expect more from you, lol. :smitten:

This is such a weird sandwich but was so incredibly good! I used Food for Life bread. I simply added some Just Mayo and black pepper to both slices of bread, then chopped 2 cups of raw turnip greens (after rinsing) to make a thick sandwich. This was surprisingly good and incredibly filling. Crunchy, flavorful, chewy. Turnip greens are slightly savory and were a great match for the Just Mayo.

A banana for dessert.

I had a sugar yeast bun and a pain au chocolat for a snack during the walk this afternoon.:D

Reactions: KLS52
Status
Not open for further replies.