What's the last thing you disposed of?

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
In the vein of similar threads about things we bring into our lives, I thought it would be interesting to see what people do with their "stuff" when it no longer serves them. So this is a thread for posting things you recently donated, gave away, or otherwise removed from your life (other than garbage).

Today we gave away a refrigerator. It was very old (24 yrs) and very large (but worked well!) and was just taking up room in the garage. Now that there's only two of us, we just didn't need anymore and didn't think we'd get anything if we tried to sell it. So I offered it up on the neighborhood Facebook page and on Craigslist this morning as "free to good home" and we had someone pick it up this afternoon. This woman does a lot of canning in the summer and wanted more space to store her berries and fruits to give her a little more time. So I think it did indeed go to a good home, and I'm glad it did. :)

Last edited:
I donated dishes to Goodwill. Some of them are a bit stained from age, but I figure someone can always use them, even as temporary dishes until they can perhaps get better ones. Over the last month, I've donated books, clothing, linens, knickknacks, coffee mugs, games, puzzles, holiday decorations (Halloween, Easter and Christmas) and CDs. I always find it very difficult to part with things, but my mindset of late has been, "It's time to let someone else enjoy these things."

Reactions: Amy SF
I love kale. I find that it is best served with sweet potatoes and Lincolnshire sausages.
Kale is so delicious. I love it chopped up in a salad or in one of my favorites soups: Black bean, potato and kale soup.

Oh, and the other day I donated a Pfalzgraff canister set, an old blender and a glass container for pasta to Goodwill. I will have a few more things to drop off before the big move on Monday. :)

I don't like all varieties of kale. I like the typical dark green curly leaves, but I've gotten some organic ones from farmers markets that were thick, tough, and bitter. Like the ones I grew last year, now going to seed :p Not a bite on them...
I also like kale cooked well. I used to try and choke down kale salads-not anymore!
I think I like swiss chard best. I'm going to try growing that!

I recently gave 2 big trash bags full of clothes that no longer fit me or Jeremy to the Neighborhood Center which helps homeless and other needy people in our community. I used to always give to the Hospice Thrift shop which was right around the corner but they closed. :(

And... I dislike kale. :p

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I recently gave 2 big trash bags full of clothes that no longer fit me or Jeremy to the Neighborhood Center which helps homeless and other needy people in our community. I used to always give to the Hospice Thrift shop which was right around the corner but they closed. :(

And... I dislike kale. :p

I was chatting with a British friend yesterday and said that I liked to add kale to smoothies. She replied ''What's kale'' !:p

I think bunnies must make good pets for veg/vegans as they can eat all your leftover veggies. I can't have any more animals at the moment, maybe one day...

I bought some new bedding and some new cardigans and pyjamas so I think I will go through my stuff this weekend and collect the old clothes for textile recycling as I know of an organisation that collects in my local area.:)

Reactions: PTree15
I don't like all varieties of kale. I like the typical dark green curly leaves, but I've gotten some organic ones from farmers markets that were thick, tough, and bitter. Like the ones I grew last year, now going to seed :p Not a bite on them...
I also like kale cooked well. I used to try and choke down kale salads-not anymore!
I think I like swiss chard best. I'm going to try growing that!
This is the problem for me. When I have it at a restaurant, it's good. But when I try to make it at home it never tastes right. I even tried a bag of baby kale that didn't cook right. If I have to steam/boil it until all the nutrients are gone, what's the point of eating it. Stir frying certainly didn't work.

So, I don't dislike kale. I just don't like making it.

Oh yeah, but I can eat it raw in a crunchy chopped salad, lol. That's weird.

I went through my closet the other week and filled two big bags full of old clothes. At some point, I'll drop them off at the used clothing store that accepts donations.

Reactions: Amy SF
I think bunnies must make good pets for veg/vegans as they can eat all your leftover veggies. I can't have any more animals at the moment, maybe one day...

I bought some new bedding and some new cardigans and pyjamas so I think I will go through my stuff this weekend and collect the old clothes for textile recycling as I know of an organisation that collects in my local area.:)
Oh, they're going to need a lot more than just leftovers :lol: And tons of hay!
I like to sell things that I don't need anymore. Sold a glass tank a while ago.

This is the problem for me. When I have it at a restaurant, it's good. But when I try to make it at home it never tastes right. I even tried a bag of baby kale that didn't cook right. If I have to steam/boil it until all the nutrients are gone, what's the point of eating it. Stir frying certainly didn't work.

So, I don't dislike kale. I just don't like making it.

Oh yeah, but I can eat it raw in a crunchy chopped salad, lol. That's weird.
Actually, that's not weird. Quite a few vegetables are truly nasty if they're overcooked. I once read a news report where someone thought someone else had passed away and started to decompose in the apartment next door to theirs, the smell was so horrible... Their neighbor had overcooked some collards.

I do prefer kale cooked; I can eat it raw but it's usually a bit too chewy for my taste- I think it's the toughest of all the cabbage family (collards, broccoli, mustard greens, etc). But I only steam it very briefly: I put it in a pan with maybe 1/2 inch water at the bottom, bring it to a boil; and let it steam for maybe a minute, then turn off the heat and let it sit for maybe 4 more minutes. Or else I add it to rice when the rice cooking water is almost absorbed, bring it to a simmer again, and turn off the heat. It still has that deep, bright, vivid green either way, with a bit of crunchiness even though it's definitely cooked. If it starts turning grayish, it's overcooked- still edible, but just barely.

Then again, some folks just don't like kale, and that's fine. That vegetable comes on strong and it's bound to put some people off.

OH- back to the thread topic: I want to give my mom's old (not very old) TV set to my sister or her sons. I neither need nor want it- I can listen to the radio (I think I have 3 of them- maybe 2) and still do other things, but a TV turns me into a zombie. (Seriously. Rick Grimes, Michonne, Carol, Carl and the rest of the TWD gang would have a problem with me...)

Reactions: PTree15
Curtain fabrics that never have been turned into curtains. Donated to a shop for charity. Or a big bag of old (but nice and usable) clothes to another charity group. :)

Reactions: Amy SF and PTree15