What's your Thanksgiving 'main dish'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, American Thanksgiving was always about the side dishes anyway, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and glazed carrots, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc...
That's what I do. I just have a bunch of interesting side dishes instead of one big dish.I think you could probably make them more fancier than usual.Instead of just regular stuffing make a cranberry,walnut and cornbread stuffing or instead of glazed sweet potatoes make twice baked sweet potatoes.

For me, American Thanksgiving was always about the side dishes anyway, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and glazed carrots, green beans, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, etc...
Me too. :)

Once I became a vegetarian, Thanksgiving was all about the delicious veggie side dishes, and nothing wrong with that.

BUT

as we've seen in this thread, it doesn't have to be just about the side dishes. We can come up with a wonderful veg*an entree to enjoy with all of those wonderful side dishes. :)

You're right about that! I think for me it's more about having a nice centerpiece. My husband is on board with a vegetarian thanksgiving tradition (even though he's not vegetarian) at our house so I don't want him missing the turkey!

Reactions: thefadedone
Basically, I really only want an excuse to eat endless amounts of freshly made cranberry sauce.

If we end up having a big dinner, I think I'll do portobello wellingtons with roasted onion and garlic gravy. Sides would mashed potatoes, green beans, roasted squash, Brussels sprouts and whatever else looks good at the market that weekend. Dessert is the traditional pumpkin pie and maybe some truffles (so I can test run Christmas gifts).

If it's small, then I think pumpkin and fresh cranberry risotto with the same roasted vegetables on the side and the same (amount :p ) of dessert.

I've done chickpea cutlets on other occasions and they are really good! Chickpeas in general are good and you can do so much with them. Haven't had as much luck with the lentil loaf though- it will taste fine but it falls apart on me...
I am at work, but when I get a chance I will dig up the recipe to see what it has for a binder.

Going to have some vegan salmon and vegan ham. Not sure about side dishes.
The only vegan turkey I liked was from Victory Banner.

Reactions: Freesia
Well,I wonder if you could use panko breadcrumbs instead?Would that make it any better?
Or oats? Sometimes I see oats as an ingredient in nut loaves.
The recipes in the link look so good!

Well,I wonder if you could use panko breadcrumbs instead?Would that make it any better?

Yes, they would make a lighter texture, however you would still obtain a high carb loaf.

Or oats? Sometimes I see oats as an ingredient in nut loaves.
The recipes in the link look so good!

I usually substitute oats, linseed/flax and yeast flakes plus some puréed vegetables for breadcrumbs.

Reactions: KLS52
^This. I've made a seitan turkey one year that is somewhat similar to the ham recipe, but I didn't steam it. I just wrapped the seitan tightly and cooked it for about 45 mins or so. It was amazing.
I am curious about this.

I am curious about this.

I just mixed the ingredients, shaped into a big ball, wrapped it tightly in foil and baked for 45 mins. It steams in the foil while baking. It also expands like crazy (and might possibly explode) if you don't make sure it's wrapped extremely tight.

Oh my goodness! I never thought about this! This year holidays are going to be terrible!

I Can't not go to my moms or I'll never hear the end, yet if I do, she'll rant about how i ruined the holidays.:(

Oh my goodness! I never thought about this! This year holidays are going to be terrible!

I Can't not go to my moms or I'll never hear the end, yet if I do, she'll rant about how i ruined the holidays.:(

:hug: Can you bring a vegetarian dish to share so you don't have to have the turkey? And don't listen to your mother. You had a very good reason for becoming a vegetarian (or multiple reasons), and you should stand your ground.

:hug: Can you bring a vegetarian dish to share so you don't have to have the turkey? And don't listen to your mother. You had a very good reason for becoming a vegetarian (or multiple reasons), and you should stand your ground.

My mother hates when I bring over my own food!
But I should stand my ground, it's so hard with mom you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.