What's your Thanksgiving 'main dish'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do most of you make your own roast main dish or do you buy it from TJ's or elsewhere ?
I've done both. When I do my own, I usually do a couple, like a loaf and stuffed acorn squash, for example.

My son, who doesn't like much storebought stuff, loves the ball of tofurkey roast with the stuffing inside, so I always get that once during this season; this year probably Christmas. More often than that and no one likes it. :p

This year for Thanksgiving we are going to my omni cousin's house. She's used to us vegans ;) and would have vegan side dishes whether we were there or not as that is how she cooks. We're bringing a bunch of things including pies, which I am practicing by making some of tonight. I'm bringing the stuffed acorn squash as well, very apple cinnamon ish, that people like.

Do most of you make your own roast main dish or do you buy it from TJ's or elsewhere ?
I've never made one myself. I like Field Roast the best. Like stated above, I'd like to make a lentil loaf one of these days. I also want to make my own vegan pot pie. Pot pie was one of my favorite things when I was an omnivore.

When I was a kid, my mom would buy a "log" of veggie turkey, the kind that's supposed to be sliced into deli-style lunch meat, and hollow it out and stuff it and bake it. Now I just buy a tofurkey. :p

Reactions: thefadedone
I make my own. This year, my main thing will be chickpea cutlets (again, haha, because I love them so much). I am going to try making a brown vegan gravy this year as well. I've yet to find one without mushrooms that tastes halfway decent, but I will not give up! I'm also making cranberry sauce, roasted carrots, garlic mashed potatoes and some sort of broccoli dish (I will figure this one out tonight). For dessert I have made cranberry bread and a cranberry apple pie. My mom also is making several of the veggie dishes vegan, such as her delicious apple-squash casserole with brown sugar and walnuts.

I make my own. This year, my main thing will be chickpea cutlets (again, haha, because I love them so much). I am going to try making a brown vegan gravy this year as well. I've yet to find one without mushrooms that tastes halfway decent, but I will not give up! I'm also making cranberry sauce, roasted carrots, garlic mashed potatoes and some sort of broccoli dish (I will figure this one out tonight). For dessert I have made cranberry bread and a cranberry apple pie. My mom also is making several of the veggie dishes vegan, such as her delicious apple-squash casserole with brown sugar and walnuts.

All the dishes sound nice. I like the fact that it is juste plain home cooking and not anything to elaborate.

Reactions: PTree15
I've been cooking most of the day. So far I've made two pumpkin pies, one pumpkin cheesecake, onion gravy, chunky cranberry sauce, cranberry apple relish and some pumpkin smoothies with the leftover pumpkin. I'm going the lazy route and just using Tofurky as the main dish. Will also have roasted sweet potatoes, parsnips, and veggies.
Here are the recipes I used:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/03/03/bryannas-vegan-pumpkin-pie
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/11/my-familys-cranberry-relish-recipe.html
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11/double-layer-pumpkin-cheesecake.html

Confession: I didn't follow the recipes exactly since I didn't have all the ingredients. I left out the molasses in the pies, the sugar in the relish and only used a little bit of sugar in the cranberry sauce. I didn't follow a recipe for the gravy or the smoothies. I just basically made it up as I went along and everything has turned out fantastic so far.

ETA: I think I'm going to add these to the dessert menu as well since I didn't make an apple pie and I know one family member who will be looking for it.:rolleyes:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2010/01/microwave-baked-apples-two-ways.html

Last edited:
I made the caramelized onion vegetable broth from this year's Vegetarian Times Thanksgiving issue. I plan to make an onion gravy from it. The broth tastes wonderful, but I'm not always great with gravy. *fingers crossed*

I made the caramelized onion vegetable broth from this year's Vegetarian Times Thanksgiving issue. I plan to make an onion gravy from it. The broth tastes wonderful, but I'm not always great with gravy. *fingers crossed*

That sounds incredible!

I'm so tired. Worked until three then came home and started prepping/cooking...roasted asparagus, Brussels sprouts, carrots, acorn squash, onions...candied sweet potatoes, one pan of stuffing with celery and onions and one with apples and raisins. I'm hoping to make a pecan pie for myself tomorrow. I always lose out because I do everything else first then save my stuff for last and I end up running out of time.

All the dishes sound nice. I like the fact that it is juste plain home cooking and not anything to elaborate.
Yep, all my favorite comfort-type foods :) I like variety on Thanksgiving. :)

KLS, make sure you get all your good stuff, too! You deserve it.

I bought a TJ's turkeyless roast. Will be the first time trying it, hope it is tasty. Whole Foods did not have the Celebration Roast which hubby and I really liked when we had it a couple of years ago. Also going to make vegan stuffing that I bought at WF, roasted carrots/parsnips/leeks, homemade cranberry sauce (hubby makes quite a yummy one) and for dessert I found a vegan pumpkin pie at WF.

Reactions: thefadedone
I have TJ's mini turkeyless roasts To fall back on in case I don't have time to make something else. I am pretty sure it's like Gardein which I like. I really wanted to do some kind of nut roast but time got away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.