Which Food or Food Group is your main source of protein?

All the foods

I eat mostly fruit and veg but add grains, beans, seeds and nuts for bulk. I think if your diet's varied and not too processed, and you're not hungry, then you don't need to worry about protein too much. I like edamame beans added to a stir fry, and I cook a variety of other beans once a week and stir through soups and salads. No need to eat loads of them in one go!

Pretty much a wide variety of things. Most plant foods contain protein, if only trace amounts. I think I probably get most of my protein from legumes and nuts, however. Mostly because I just like eating them. ;) And I eat a lot of quinoa, too.

I eat a lot of peanut butter, not just on sandwiches, but mixed with other ingredients (lime juice, soy sauce or liquid aminos and hot sauce) for ramen noodles or mixed into oatmeal with soy milk or maple syrup.

I obviously drink soy milk and use tofu in homemade curry or order it in restaurants. Tempeh is one of my favorites too, its a different form of soy (some people claim its superior to tofu).

I also eat all sorts of beans - kidney, limas, and Mexican refried are my favorites - as well as lentils and peas. Pulses/legumes are very economical, right up there with peanut butter, and can be prepared different ways.

Occasionally I also eat seitan or hemp.

If you don't like eating beans that much find new recipes, you can make everything from tacos to soup with beans, they're versatile and vary by the spices, vegetables and/or oils you put with them.

Tofu is also affordable and nutritious as well as being versatile. I recommend you get refrigerated tofu, not the imported shelved kind that falls apart in a sad mush. Fresh tofu is better, I always get extra firm. It takes on the flavor of the sauces or spices you use.

on daily basis, I included two recipes for my daily protein requirements
1. Quinoa Salad for breakfast which is high in protein a well as fiber.
2. second one is Avocado and strawberry smoothie which is also a good source of energy.
Apart from that for protein, I mainly depend on black peas lentils, tofu paneer, and fruits and I consume rice daily with vegetable curry which completes my daily intake requirements.

if anyone interested in recipes i can share with as they useful for vegan diet

Last edited:
Protein is hard not to get. It's basically in all plant foods, but the percentages differ. I get higher amounts of protein from the wholegrain bread that I eat, beans, nut/seed (and their milks) and the actual whole grains that I sometimes sprout and eat.