Why do some vegans succeed and others fail?

I lasted for 6 or so months as a 100% plant based vegan, and am now a 85-95% plant based flexitarian. I think why some fail and some succeed really comes down to taste preferences, for me, I couldnt give up my favorite foods forever. If I really really crave something, I eat it and move forward. I dont think it has to be 100% or dont try at all, I do the best I can manage, and still feel happy and satisfied with my diet. That sense of freedom has helped me eat mostly plant based for the long term.
I went pretty much overnight once I had decided. I originally intended flexi, which no doubt is better than nothing.

But in the end, if I see a piece of cheese, I see calves being dragged away from their mothers and having their throats slit.
If I see an egg, I re-see the images of conveyor belts of chicks being dropped into a grinder.
If I see meat, I see the animal, alive...as it should be, rather than being suffocated or bled to death by some lunatic with a knife. I picture the struggling animal, wanting to go on living, but shackled and powerless to escape :(

It's totally a moral and ethical position. I can't follow my moral code "some of the time". The hypocrisy would send me crazy :(

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
I went pretty much overnight once I had decided. I originally intended flexi, which no doubt is better than nothing.

But in the end, if I see a piece of cheese, I see calves being dragged away from their mothers and having their throats slit.
If I see an egg, I re-see the images of conveyor belts of chicks being dropped into a grinder.
If I see meat, I see the animal, alive...as it should be, rather than being suffocated or bled to death by some lunatic with a knife. I picture the struggling animal, wanting to go on living, but shackled and powerless to escape :(

It's totally a moral and ethical position. I can't follow my moral code "some of the time". The hypocrisy would send me crazy :(

I would have to agree as once you’re into animal welfare it gets easier to become vegan.
I cannot comprehend those that
Accept animal cruelty as a normal part of the food chain.

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
I think some of the failures are from people having undiagnosed IBS. Noticed a lot of people who have their "quit veganism" video never say their doc or reg. dietician checked for IBS or tried FODMAP elimination (if the person even sees a doc).

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I think some of the failures are from people having undiagnosed IBS. Noticed a lot of people who have their "quit veganism" video never say their doc or reg. dietician checked for IBS or tried FODMAP elimination (if the person even sees a doc).
Good point, but few doctors understand the impact of nutrition on your gut flora

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Good point, but few doctors understand the impact of nutrition on your gut flora
True. Even researches have yet to see how FODMAP restriction affects the longterm health of people with IBS, and no one can predict what changes in microbiota does to someone. But GPs and GIs dont need to have perfect knowledge about microbiota to know that FODMAP control is effective at controlling IBS symptoms.

Review of FODMAP approach to functional GI disorders
Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology said:
The low FODMAP diet provides an effective approach to the management of patients with functional gut symptoms. The evidence base is now sufficiently strong to recommend its widespread application.