Why Is Starbucks So Popular? Other Coffee Shops?

I confess to being a Starbucks fan, but I'm doing my darndest to cut back, mostly for financial reasons. :D I haven't had one in a couple of weeks, so that's pretty good. I got some Starbucks gift cards for Christmas, but I'm going to stretch them out as long as possible. I figure I can make them last most of the year if I go only once every few weeks. :D

Is it the actual coffee you like or the atmosphere of a SB's café ? If it is the latter, I can guarantee you that you can make coffee that is equally delicious or even better.

Is it the actual coffee you like or the atmosphere of a SB's café ? If it is the latter, I can guarantee you that you can make coffee that is equally delicious or even better.
It's the actual coffee, as I mostly get a coffee to go. I have been very good about reducing my purchases of late, though. I am on an austerity plan for 2018. :D

How much does a cup of SB's coffee cost ?
It depends on the size and options, but SB is considered pricey. My option costs $5.37. It doesn't help that SB charges 60 cents extra for soy milk.

It depends on the size and options, but SB is considered pricey. My option costs $5.37. It doesn't help that SB charges 60 cents extra for soy milk.

That is nearly 6$ for a cup.:) I have only been to SB's twice and didn't find the coffee to my liking. It took me quite a while to find ground coffee that I really like and I really do prefer coffee at home.

Reactions: PTree15
That is nearly 6$ for a cup.:) I have only been to SB's twice and didn't find the coffee to my liking. It took me quite a while to find ground coffee that I really like and I really do prefer coffee at home.
Yes, that price is for the medium size, which is 16 ounces. I usually get a flavored soy latte, either vanilla or peppermint. It includes 2 shots of espresso. I have had only two in the last month, which is a big reduction for me. I have spent way too much there. I did get gift cards for Christmas, which I will be able to stretch out to cover a whole year if I am judicious about my purchases there.

Yes, that price is for the medium size, which is 16 ounces. I usually get a flavored soy latte, either vanilla or peppermint. It includes 2 shots of espresso. I have had only two in the last month, which is a big reduction for me. I have spent way too much there. I did get gift cards for Christmas, which I will be able to stretch out to cover a whole year if I am judicious about my purchases there.

Have you ever thought of recreating your own at home ? I remember seeing SB's ground/bean coffee in most stores in the US.

60 cents for soy milk? A litre of soy milk costs 65p in many UK supermarkets. I always avoid SB. Nearly all Spanish bars sell a much better cup of coffee and I pay normally 1 euro 10 cents for a large cortado. In IKEA (5 minutes by car for me) the coffee is free.

60 cents for soy milk? A litre of soy milk costs 65p in many UK supermarkets. I always avoid SB. Nearly all Spanish bars sell a much better cup of coffee and I pay normally 1 euro 10 cents for a large cortado. In IKEA (5 minutes by car for me) the coffee is free.

I know, it's ridiculous. I am not a fan of supermarket or convenience store coffee, though Cumberland Farms in the U.S. has a passable cup for $1 if I just want black coffee. Lattes are another story. I really like them. I make black coffee at home all the time.

@shyvas I have tried to make some sort if version of a latte at home, but I think I need an espresso machine. Mine have not come out that great. It likely would save me in the long, though. It's on my long list of things to get.

I know, it's ridiculous. I am not a fan of supermarket or convenience store coffee, though Cumberland Farms in the U.S. has a passable cup for $1 if I just want black coffee. Lattes are another story. I really like them. I make black coffee at home all the time.

@shyvas I have tried to make some sort if version of a latte at home, but I think I need an espresso machine. Mine have not come out that great. It likely would save me in the long, though. It's on my long list of things to get.

I make my milky coffee using a French press. It tastes far better than SB's in mho. :up:

I don’t bother with hot coffee at Starbucks anymore. If I treat myself it’s for some version of a mocha Frappuccino.

This thread had me wanting a flavored coffee so much I stopped at Speedway gas station that normally has lots of fresh pots and very clean. Today they were out of half of their Torini syrups, including my mocha, and seemed to be in the middle of cleaning. A bucket of nasty water was right on the counter :yuck:.

I make my milky coffee using a French press. It tastes far better than SB's in mho. :up:
I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only person making coffee at home. I get an excellent coffee from Lidl (Bellarom Gold, 100% Arabica). It's their dearest coffee at 3 euros 50 approx for 500g, so lasts a long time. I like it strong with just a splash of milk. I have a German percolator which switches itself off when the coffee's ready.

Last edited:
I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only person making coffee at home. I get an excellent coffee from Lidl (Bellarom Gold, 100% Arabica). It's their dearest coffee at 3 euros 50 approx for 500g, so lasts a long time. I like it strong with just a splash of milk. I have a German percolator which switches itself off when the coffee's ready.

I buy Carrefour's organic, Fair trade coffee that comes comes central America. It costs 2.90 €/250 g which lasts me roughly a week. I make mine very strong and top it up with approx. the same amount of hot soya milk/cream. I've seldom tasted a better cup of coffee anywhere else.

I get Aldi's fair trade medium roast German blend. I wonder how fair trade it really is o_O, it's quite inexpensive, and quite good

I only go to SB when I have a giftcard. I earned a free drink which I redeemed today. A venti caramel Frappuccino with soy milk, no whip cream or caramel drizzle, and a banana blended in. It was delicious. Wit the amount of sugar and calories in them I probably won't go again for at least a month, most likely two.

At home I drink store brand instant decaf (some are surprisingly good, some terrible), with a teaspoon of cocoa powder and a teaspoon of sugar. My roommate uses a french press with a better quality coffee, I guess she's more of a coffee connoisseur than me. :p

Last edited:
I still haven't found the SB award winning vegan wrap! Best sandwich of 2017, apparently.

I saw a woman bring her dog into Starbucks the other day. I didn't know that was allowed. She definitely wasn't blind as I was sitting next to her on the train beforehand.

I’m now hooked on a pour over coffee pot like one. It’s awesome.
053DA063-B7C5-41E3-9FC7-87C3B2DA8D2E.jpeg