OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

I use a MacBook Pro at work and I would love to have one at home, but they are pricey, which is why I always end up with Microsoft laptops. I looked at the specs on this one at work and it has 16 gigs of RAM and a Core i7 processor. I like lots and lots of RAM, so to get this same one at the Apple store or Best Buy or whatever, it would cost a minimum of $2,400, which is tad out of my price range, sadly. :D But dang that thing is fast! My only gripe is that when I occasionally play Candy Crush on it, it heats up and the fan kicks in so it gets a little loud. Right now, I'm looking at Asus laptops, but I want to make sure I can upgrade the RAM. The speediest ZenBook they offer is pricey, but not nearly as bad as the MacBook Pro. Still, if I can save a few hundred bucks by getting one with, say, 8 gigs of RAM, I could upgrade to 16 gigs for a lot less money.

My current laptop is a Toshiba (Satellite series), and it's ancient (7 years old) and crawls along with just 4 gigs of RAM. I've tried all sorts of things to get it faster, but nothing seems to be working. I'm hoping it will hold out for a few more months, but I'm not optimistic. :D

I use a MacBook Pro at work and I would love to have one at home, but they are pricey, which is why I always end up with Microsoft laptops. I looked at the specs on this one at work and it has 16 gigs of RAM and a Core i7 processor. I like lots and lots of RAM, so to get this same one at the Apple store or Best Buy or whatever, it would cost a minimum of $2,400, which is tad out of my price range, sadly. :D But dang that thing is fast! My only gripe is that when I occasionally play Candy Crush on it, it heats up and the fan kicks in so it gets a little loud. Right now, I'm looking at Asus laptops, but I want to make sure I can upgrade the RAM. The speediest ZenBook they offer is pricey, but not nearly as bad as the MacBook Pro. Still, if I can save a few hundred bucks by getting one with, say, 8 gigs of RAM, I could upgrade to 16 gigs for a lot less money.

My current laptop is a Toshiba (Satellite series), and it's ancient (7 years old) and crawls along with just 4 gigs of RAM. I've tried all sorts of things to get it faster, but nothing seems to be working. I'm hoping it will hold out for a few more months, but I'm not optimistic. :D

I had an iBook from before Apple started using Intel processors instead of their own PowerPC processors. I loved that thing, I wish it hadn't broken. I really do love how OS X works from the way you install your programs, to the general every day use. Slick OS, takes me aback a bit remembering how great it was back when IBM's OS/2 Warp was still a viable OS.

As far as affording one goes, I can tell you that it is very easy to get financed through the bank Apple uses. My mother just got a $2,000 credit line with them and her credit score isn't exactly that great. Then she turns around and buys an Acer instead of following through with getting a Mac, dooooh!!! It's funny because now she's having tons of problems with the Acer lol

IMO 8 gigs of ram is fine for the majority of people, you don't need more than that unless you're doing intensive graphics work and/or encoding and editing video. I would say the same about the Intel core i7 processor. Most people don't need an i7, they would do just as well with an i5 :)

I had an iBook from before Apple started using Intel processors instead of their own PowerPC processors. I loved that thing, I wish it hadn't broken. I really do love how OS X works from the way you install your programs, to the general every day use. Slick OS, takes me aback a bit remembering how great it was back when IBM's OS/2 Warp was still a viable OS.

As far as affording one goes, I can tell you that it is very easy to get financed through the bank Apple uses. My mother just got a $2,000 credit line with them and her credit score isn't exactly that great. Then she turns around and buys an Acer instead of following through with getting a Mac, dooooh!!! It's funny because now she's having tons of problems with the Acer lol

IMO 8 gigs of ram is fine for the majority of people, you don't need more than that unless you're doing intensive graphics work and/or encoding and editing video. I would say the same about the Intel core i7 processor. Most people don't need an i7, they would do just as well with an i5 :)
Hehe, indeed, 8 gigs would be fine, along with an i5, but I just like/want/lust-for all that speed. :D.
RE: Acer ... I haven't read good things about that brand. My sister has a pretty cheap Asus, and that thing has been fine for her needs. I did look into the Apple financing, and I have a fine credit score, but my cheap-a$$ Yankee self can't stomach forking over so much money, even for something as sweet as the MacBook Pro ... unless I win 10K in the Lotto or something. ;)

Hehe, indeed, 8 gigs would be fine, along with an i5, but I just like/want/lust-for all that speed. :D.
RE: Acer ... I haven't read good things about that brand. My sister has a pretty cheap Asus, and that thing has been fine for her needs. I did look into the Apple financing, and I have a fine credit score, but my cheap-a$$ Yankee self can't stomach forking over so much money, even for something as sweet as the MacBook Pro ... unless I win 10K in the Lotto or something. ;)

and I can TOTALLY relate to lusting for more lol...

Their financing would probably run around $60'ish a month.... I'm going to take the plunge once I get a credit card or two paid off :D

Reactions: PTree15
and I can TOTALLY relate to lusting for more lol...

Their financing would probably run around $60'ish a month.... I'm going to take the plunge once I get a credit card or two paid off :D
Sweet! If I wasn't hunting for a car as well, I'd likely come around to doing it, but I want my credit score as high as possible so that when I go for a car loan, I can negotiate a good rate. I have one card that needs some attention before I start the hunt, lol.

I have one of the little Asus netbooks from jeesh, 5-7ish years ago when they first came out. It's a little trooper, still working fine. My son put linux on it and has changed the distro several times.
Like this but with 2 whole gigs of ram. ;)
fbbf3f69548721ca4f27aafb1d757be9.jpg

Reactions: PTree15
I have one of the little Asus netbooks from jeesh, 5-7ish years ago when they first came out. It's a little trooper, still working fine. My son put linux on it and has changed the distro several times.

I'm not surprised at all, especially with a lightweight environment like Xfce... I just installed Linux Mint the other day, working on getting my *nix legs back on.

Reactions: ledboots
Very cool, ledboots! I'm still toying with going with a smaller screen, for portability and whatnot, perhaps 13 inches, but I really like 15 inches and above. I don't know that much about Linux, only that some computer folks much prefer it over other operating systems.

Financing it just makes it all that much more expensive....

Not so bad when you get 18 months of no interest. But then again the way no interest financing usually works is on month 19 if you haven't paid it off they hit you with 18 months worth of interest on the remaining balance. If you can actually pay it off within 18 months, great! But if you can't, then you'd be right in that assessment. But either way that's okay, sometimes it's worth paying more for something when you have the option of payments.

Not so bad when you get 18 months of no interest. But then again the way no interest financing usually works is on month 19 if you haven't paid it off they hit you with 18 months worth of interest on the remaining balance. If you can actually pay it off within 18 months, great! But if you can't, then you'd be right in that assessment. But either way that's okay, sometimes it's worth paying more for something when you have the option of payments.
I would only do it if they offer no interest for several months. I've done that in the past, and it worked out great. As long as you pay within the period and you're on time, there is no interest. The few times that I've done it, I've been able to pay it off long before the promo period. It's nice if you don't want to plunk down all the money at once.

I would only do it if they offer no interest for several months. I've done that in the past, and it worked out great. As long as you pay within the period and you're on time, there is no interest. The few times that I've done it, I've been able to pay it off long before the promo period. It's nice if you don't want to plunk down all the money at once.

Pretty sure it is 18 months with Apple. 12 at the very least.

Pretty sure it is 18 months with Apple. 12 at the very least.
Yes, if you are spending more than $1,000 it's 18 months. Not bad...I just didn't want to apply for another credit card. I believe it's through Barclays. I suppose I could just cancel it once the machine is paid off...Decisions, decisions. ;)

Yes, if you are spending more than $1,000 it's 18 months. Not bad...I just didn't want to apply for another credit card. I believe it's through Barclays. I suppose I could just cancel it once the machine is paid off...Decisions, decisions. ;)

You are correct, it is Barclays bank :)

And if I'm ever going to get rid of enough of my debt to afford the payment I'm going to have to spend less on beer me thinks lol

I'm trying to keep my debt potential low because I'm going to be buying a car later this year. I do really like the MacBook Pro, though. :D

I'm trying to keep my debt potential low because I'm going to be buying a car later this year. I do really like the MacBook Pro, though. :D

I don't care about portable, I got tablets for that. I want one of the iMac's with the nice Ultra HD 4k (4096x2160 screen resolution) or 5k (5120x2880) display :D I'll say I'll have a Windows 10 partition on it so it seems like we're not so grossly off topic lol