OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

I am going to keep windows 7 and 8. I wish I could stop the messages telling me to update to 10 though.

I'm surviving the upgrade. Once I got past the initial bugs, it's been fine. But I don't do anything fancy or complicated...Just web searching, paying bills, shop, and visit social media sites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freesia
I try really hard to keep out of it and keep my mouth shut, but in good conscious can't not advise against not upgrading. Sooner than later it will become dangerous to be using Windows 7 and 8.x connected to the internet. This will be the case sooner than one may think.

Last edited:
I got tired of being hassled to move to 10 and just bit the bucket and did it. It's taking a little getting used to finding things but so far not too bad. I don't do anything complicated either.

Reactions: KLS52
I try really hard to keep out of it and keep my mouth shut, but in good conscious can't not advise against not upgrading. Sooner than later it will become dangerous to be using Windows 7 and 8.x connected to the internet. This will be the case sooner than one may think.
Hospitals and doctor's offices just recently upgraded to win7 from XP for their electronic medical records use, so hopefully they have an extra layer of security. Or something.

Microsoft are drunk with power now and we need to petition them to stop this insanity. They should support all their packages.

I have Windows 8 and have no intention of upgrading to 10, ever. It was hard enough to get used to 8 , I am not enabling any more of their weird programs.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
Hospitals and doctor's offices just recently upgraded to win7 from XP for their electronic medical records use, so hopefully they have an extra layer of security. Or something.

Believe it or not we are getting the windows 10 pop up box at the medical organization I work at. You can't log on first thing in the morning without having to get rid of that stupid windows 10 screen that pops up. The IT department has not said a word about it either which is strange, especially for an organization that employs over 7000 people across four states that all share the same electronic health record system.

Reactions: ledboots and KLS52
Microsoft are drunk with power now and we need to petition them to stop this insanity. They should support all their packages.

I have Windows 8 and have no intention of upgrading to 10, ever. It was hard enough to get used to 8 , I am not enabling any more of their weird programs.

Windows 10 is a lot easier to get used to than 8 was... It really isn't as much a departure from Windows 7 as Windows 8 was.

But honestly, you can't think that way. It's just not realistic. Operating systems have been changing and people have had to learn and adapt since the very beginning. You can't expect everything to stay the same to keep from having to learn something new, if it were that way there would be no progress. You can keep using Windows 8 until you buy a new computer, sure. You're going to have to get used to Windows 10 or greater eventually anyway. But most importantly you risk a lot running an out dated operating system. You risk potentially having your identity stolen, your bank accounts and credit cards compromised leading to financial loss. Imagine terrible things like that happening all because you were too stubborn to learn something new.

Microsoft will go out of their way to keep on accommodating hospitals, banks, prisons, etc. For another 7 years at least.

Windows 10 is a lot easier to get used to than 8 was... It really isn't as much a departure from Windows 7 as Windows 8 was.

But honestly, you can't think that way. It's just not realistic. Operating systems have been changing and people have had to learn and adapt since the very beginning. You can't expect everything to stay the same to keep from having to learn something new, if it were that way there would be no progress. You can keep using Windows 8 until you buy a new computer, sure. You're going to have to get used to Windows 10 or greater eventually anyway. But most importantly you risk a lot running an out dated operating system. You risk potentially having your identity stolen, your bank accounts and credit cards compromised leading to financial loss. Imagine terrible things like that happening all because you were too stubborn to learn something new.

It is also not realistic to expect people to want to learn operating system after operating system, particularly older people who may have problems learning to use 7 even. Not everyone is a computer whiz and not everyone can handle big changes.

It is easy for people well versed in IT to not understand this. I cant see why they cant keep updating 7 and 8 and fixing its bugs. And they should have let people stay with a 7 style interface if they wanted.

So many people prefer 7's layout to all the tiles and windows.

I am not very good with computers and I almost went insane when I bought a Windows 8 laptop.

Updategate: Microsoft splashes Tomb Raider ad over Windows 10 lock screens

MICROSOFT IS giving the world more reasons to hate Windows 10, as another batch of lock screen advertising appears on computers worldwide, this time advertising the latest version of Tomb Raider.

It's not the first time that Windows 10 has shown its Windows 10 'freeware is adware' chops on the lock screen after an advert for Minions appeared last month to a limited number of users. But this time, it's more widespread.

There's nothing wrong with monetising your product through advertising, and we'd be a bit hypocritical to say otherwise, but Microsoft has become insidious under Nadella, seemingly harmless and well intentioned on the surface but stomach exploding alien beneath.

Nadella said of Windows 10 that he wanted people to go "from using Windows to loving Windows" (and we warned you at the time that it sounded like something Mr Burns would say).

The problem is that actually we're going from 'being forced to use Windows 10, to hating what Windows 10 represents'.

Updategate: Microsoft splashes Tomb Raider ad over Windows 10 lock screens

I went from Windows 7 which I really liked to Windows 10. I heard so much bad stuff about Windows 8 that I decided to just wait. You can have a similar to 7 experience with 10. I don't use the tiles and restoring the "start" button and menu was a really wise move. I don't like being forced into a new OS every few years either and we probably will move to Linux and/or Apple in the near future.

Reactions: KLS52
I just discovered since my upgrade I couldn't find my Spider Solitaire lol. It took me twenty minutes of searching to find the games on the new Windows 10, and I don't like the new Spider Solitaire layout. I love this game and find it very relaxing when I am trying to center my mind or get up the motivation to start on some project. I feel like I am going through withdrawals. Really really don't like how the new one looks. :wtf:

I just discovered since my upgrade I couldn't find my Spider Solitaire lol. It took me twenty minutes of searching to find the games on the new Windows 10, and I don't like the new Spider Solitaire layout. I love this game and find it very relaxing when I am trying to center my mind or get up the motivation to start on some project. I feel like I am going through withdrawals. Really really don't like how the new one looks. :wtf:

You mean the one where all of the solitaire games are bundled in one app? I quite like it lol