Health Issues Cancer

I have cared for a family member whose cancer was terminal. Id prefer not to discuss in public though. xx

My mother died from it pretty young, and my grandfather (her father) a few years later.

My dad died of leukemia at 82. He had had a stage 4 melanoma in his 50's that he survived. My mother in law died at 54 from breast cancer that had spread to the bone. I loved her very much, and it was so sad for my husband to lose his mom so young. She was so great, too.

Everyone else close to me who has had cancer has survived it. My mom and aunt had colon CA.

My husband has a blood cancer. He was first diagnosed in 2000, and has been through 4 rounds of chemo-type treatments over the years.

My dad died of leukemia at 82. He had had a stage 4 melanoma in his 50's that he survived. My mother in law died at 54 from breast cancer that had spread to the bone. I loved her very much, and it was so sad for my husband to lose his mom so young. She was so great, too.

Everyone else close to me who has had cancer has survived it. My mom and aunt had colon CA.

My dad died of leukemia when he was 30. He was diagnosed when he was in his early 20s. His father died a few years later of stomach cancer.

(((Hugs))) to everyone. :hug:

My aunt (mom's sister) died at 56 of breast cancer. My other aunt (also mom's sister) had a mastectomy when she was in her mid forties. She is 85 now. :) Her daughter ( my first cousin) had a lumpectomy at 54, had chemo, radiation and tamoxifen...so far so good.

My husband had prostate cancer and is considered cured since his PSA level has been normal for over ten years.

Both my grandparents (father 's side) died of cancer in their seventies. I don't know what kind of cancer they had.

wow thanks for all the replies.

I am struggling really hard this side, my dad had prostate cancer and then they removed the prostate and there were no signs of cancer for the last 12 years. Earlier last year his PSA count went up and they put him on hormone treatment, the count went down again, the dr did advice that my dad go for flikker test as he had a very sore hip as well but he never went. (This i only found out now from my mom).

Because the pain got so bad in the hip they sent him for a MRI and it picked up that the cancer is back and when he finally now went for the flikker test it has spread to all the bones in his body, right up to the skull. Also in his throat etc. My dad dont want to give us details but I urge my mom to give us all the details so we know what we are dealing with.

The hardest part at the moment is that my dad is pushing me away, my mom says he needs time to digest everything. He seem very depressed. I feel so helpless.

He was suppose to start chemo but decided to go for a holiday with my brother to their beach house, as my brother has vacation at the moment. He will then start chemo when his back.

Somehow I think he should start chemo right away, but somehow I also think time spent with my brother would be better what ever happens.

I dont really have experience with bone cancer, I just know its going to be a tough road ahead.

Will go visit my mom when my dad and brother goes away, this is also going to be so tough for her.

Any advice.... Anything would be welcomed.

CANCER SUCKS!

It runs on both sides of my family, especially my mom's. Sorry to hear about your dad. :(

anyone in here, have to deal with cancer in family? or with friends?

I have lost a raft of Aunt's, on my fathers side of the family, to cancer Kasandra.

Nothing as close to home as your are having to deal with though.

M'other half, 'Anne Chovie' (on this forum), works with cancer patients everyday.

Sometimes she phones me because she had no answers for one of her clients. She knows I have no answers for her. There are no answers.

Seems, somehow, that the only comfort available is to know that in having no answers we are very far from being alone.

So sorry that you are having to deal with this Kasandra :(

The only thing I can think of, in the way of advice, is to just let your dad know you are there for him, whether it be for something tangible or just for emotional support.

I remember when I went to see my cousin, when she was first diagnosed, I told her that the next few months were strictly about her and what she was going to need in order to get through it . It was not about anyone else and what their reaction was going to be. I let her know that however she chose to deal with it would be ok with me. She never had to feel hesitant or uncomfortable with me...if she wanted to talk about it openly, she could. If she needed a break from it, that was fine too.

You just need to make sure, as a support person, that you find something that will help you to recharge your energy and emotions. It is likely to be a very draining time that you will be going through. (((More hugs)))

And though it might be early to bring this up, I don't know what his prognosis after treatment is , but hospice can help out an awful lot. The patient has to be in a place where life saving treatments aren't an option, but life extending and comfort treatments are. They were amazing with my dad, and people can use hospice for many months or even years. <3