Health Issues Cancer

Hi Kasandra

Glad to hear that your dad is now starting Chemotherapy but I am aware of the dread you all have about it starting.

Depending on the level and type of Chemotherapy treatment he is receiving the side effects will vary enormously.It is obviously true that the more aggressive the Chemo then the more likelihood of extreme reaction to it.

It is a bit like how long is a piece of string.. patients go into Chemo armed with a long list of possible side effects and expecting to be affected by all of them, but actually experience none. Others of course are not so lucky but very rarely encounter the host of side effects they are fearing.

The main, most common side effects are nausea, tiredness and slight loss of focus (a noticeable loss of 'sharpness' or clarity when dealing with practical issues).

Bear in mind that whatever side effects your dad experiences it is temporary and in a way the first Chemo treatment is the worst as you do not know what to expect and what is normal and what is not. By cycle two or three most patients have worked out what the side effects will be , how to ride them and how long they will last. As with any symptom we experience , knowing how long it will last and that we will be fine again afterwards takes away some of the fear .

Most people in cycle two or three will have already worked out which are their bad days when 'Chemo brain' will set in and they avoid making appointments on those days. Or they know when nausea will have them confined to the bathroom all day and avoid visitors on those days!

The cycle will run along the lines of Chemo day, in bed days, good days, Chemo days..repeat!!! He will be able to function normally in between.

I am thinking of you all and I wish him the best of luck

xxx

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Thanks Ann Chovie :hug:

your explanation clears up a lot for me. i am sure after the 1st chemo session when we know what we are dealing with things will be better, think we are all a little scared of the unknown.

On the scan it showed the cancer has spread to pelvic bone, vetebra, one leg, back of skull, thoat and chest area which I assume is the lungs.

Do you know which stage of cancer he will fall into?

I know my dad gets very emotional speaking to me at the moment so I just sent him some sms messages and give him his space, I know God is giving him peace. I know his worried about me, I am just trying to show him I am strong and fine... cause I know that will give him peace.

****, my cousin just got her results this morning. Cancer is back in her colon, liver and lymph nodes, starts chemo again Thursday, not looking good. She's not even 40 yet.

:hugs:

Got decent sleep, feeling better and more positive today.

#1 of CHEMO.

God will help us and give us peace...:angel:
This is good to hear. :)

Sorry about your cousin, Forster. :(

Thanks Ann Chovie :hug:

your explanation clears up a lot for me. i am sure after the 1st chemo session when we know what we are dealing with things will be better, think we are all a little scared of the unknown.

On the scan it showed the cancer has spread to pelvic bone, vetebra, one leg, back of skull, thoat and chest area which I assume is the lungs.

Do you know which stage of cancer he will fall into?

I know my dad gets very emotional speaking to me at the moment so I just sent him some sms messages and give him his space, I know God is giving him peace. I know his worried about me, I am just trying to show him I am strong and fine... cause I know that will give him peace.

Hi Kasandra

Glad you managed to sleep :hug:

In basic terms.. as I do not feel it appropriate to go into detail on an open board as I am aware of the sensitivity of other posters who may be going through cancer too, please do not hesitate to PM me though for more detail).

Cancer always has a primary site and sometimes secondary sites which can be located and identified from the start by scanning.

The extent of growth of the tumours is often given a grade or a stage which indicates its size and progression. You would need to discuss with your fathers medical team the stage his cancer is at. Some cancers move rapidly from stage to stage while others can progress slower.

Sometimes though cancer cells can break away from the primary site and enter the lympathic system. This leads to 'Metastasis' which is where cells travel through the system and break through vessel walls to lodge and grow in another site. This explains why new growth appears to crop up in strangley unrelated sites, but all linked by the lympathic channels.

These are often referred to as 'Mets' ie.'.lung cancer with spine mets'

Hope this is helpful.

x

Hello
Sorry your going through that Kassandra with your dad, Anyhow last year via facebook I watched and seen a dear young friend of mine fight skin cancer and got worse over course of 10 months. Last July we lost him and it was a very painful thing to experience. Last August at his small memorial I couldn't talk when I spoke but, I was volunteered to talk and speak so I did. It was very painful to speak. I am still getting over how things became worse for him and he passed on from it. I also had a few family members pass with various cancers in the past 20 years and Its still heartbreaking, I agree that Cancers sucks..

****, my cousin just got her results this morning. Cancer is back in her colon, liver and lymph nodes, starts chemo again Thursday, not looking good. She's not even 40 yet.

Sorry to hear your terrible news Forster
:hug:

the last week and half my dad has improved, appetite increased and he ate as much as he possible can to build up strenght for the next session of chemo... his mood has been a little better and positive.

today is round 2 of chemo... its horrible to hear my dad so scared as he knows the next few days, again, will not be easy - i wish i could hear what he discuss witht he oncologist but will ask my mom this evening.

I couldnt go visit on sunday due to being sick with the flu.

Emotional Rollercoaster continues... hate not being closer to assist my mom in looking after my father or just giving her more emotional support as my dad can get very short with her, probably cause his scared and frustrated.

Hope you are coping Kassandra..thinking of you and your family, fingers crossed that his next Chemo is easier to bear x

My boyfriend has had gastrointestinal issues since shortly after we started dating 3 years ago. He had his gallbladder removed a little over 2 years ago, but issues never fully resolved. Doctors kept dismissing more serious possibilities, trying to diagnose him with everything from IBS to chronic fatigue syndrome to ulcerative colitis. He had some blood work a couple weeks ago, and long story short, they determined he has neuroendocrine cancer, which is very rare, with only about 8,000 diagnosed cases annually (making the available data very limited and vague). It's also notoriously hard to locate. It could be any number of places in his body.

He had more lab work and after a very stressful and terrifying week, they told him it does not appear to have metastasized or affected his pancreas. Now he has to have an MRI to localize it. We don't know yet whether it is benign or malignant. Hopefully it can be eradicated with surgery and won't require chemo. This is such a scary time for us. I recently got a promotion at work and am in the process of closing on the purchase of my first home. He's getting ready to finish his final year of his bachelor's degree program, and now we have this curve ball thrown at us. I only hope the resolution is a relatively simple one. He's only 25...

Oh gingerfoxx, hang in there, how scary a time this must be for you! :( His youth and thus strong immune system are in his favor. I'm really glad it wasn't in the pancreas.

Has your bf every been into meditation at all? There are some interesting results from using certain audio frequencies while meditating, linking them to healing at the dna level.

I know, all woo and everything, but 528 Hz is thought to be the healing frequency.
http://thecriticalthinker.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/the-sound-for-dna-repair-frequency-528-hz/

There are lots free online like this
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=Lg2Q5rBYkNA