Does cooked broccoli have a strong smell?

Does cooked broccoli have a strong smell?

• No, of course not!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yeah

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
In your personal opinion, does cooked broccoli have a strong smell? Well, that was the claim I was confronted with at the dinner table tonight. I shall be interested in reading your replies!

I guess it kind of does. I make it so often I don't notice it anymore.

Anything in the cabbage family (sorry, can't think of the proper term for that family of veggies) has a strong smell if cooked too well. I like all of those veggies very lightly steamed, and then I think that whatever odor they have is mild and pleasant.

So says the woman who lost much of her sense of smell about twenty years ago. :p

My husband thinks broccoli smells awful when it's cooked and he isn't fond of other cruciferous veggies either.

I can't remember noticing cooked broccoli having any smell at all really.

Next time I cook it I shall investigate further. :D

Reactions: TreeHugger
Do you think people who believe it smells strongly has a genetic defect? Surely that must be the case.

people who have this defect are more likely to avoid over cooked food, and so will be healthier, and go on to reproduce, and pass on their genes.

people who have this defect are more likely to avoid over cooked food, and so will be healthier, and go on to reproduce, and pass on their genes.
I think it reeks unless just very lightly cooked. My son won't eat it cooked and hates the smell. Daughter loves all broccoli any way shape or form. My husband likes it, but I don't know if he thinks it smells bad, he loves all veggies.

Same :drool: . I saw a recipe for garlicky broccoli pasta the other day and I realised I must have it again soon.

I think overcooked broccoli has a strong-ish smell. I don't mind it though. I do mind overcooked broccoli though. :confused:

I sometimes overcook it on purpose., occasionally I like it mushy. When I worked at a nursing home, I would get a big plateful of the mushy broccoli. :D

Reactions: thefadedone
Brassicas smell. If we leave trimmings in the compost bowl overnight they are smelly in the morning, same with the pot that we steam them in, if we don't dump it. Sometimes it's a noticeable smell when it's just cooking, but rarely is it offensive.

I think people who notice are just more sensitive to smells. :shrug: My man notices it much more than me, though he likes the vegetables, because he is very sensitive to smells.

I don't mind the smell as it's cooking- steaming, it's the next day that it's offensive. I do love broccoli, and don't like it raw!

Reactions: thefadedone
I don't mind the smell as it's cooking- steaming, it's the next day that it's offensive. I do love broccoli, and don't like it raw!

Same here. I don't like raw cauliflower either. Love it cooked but not raw. I could never be a raw foodist. I love cooked veggies way too much. I find them much more flavorful when they are cooked.