Does cooked broccoli have a strong smell?

Does cooked broccoli have a strong smell?

• No, of course not!

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yeah

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
All vegetables from the cabbage family do have a sulfar like odour when cooked. I don't mind the smell as I
really find these vegetables delicious and apparently have anti cancer proprietes. Many omni foods have far stronger odours than broccoli.
It shouldn't be cooked more than 3 -4 minutes (steamed is best) to preserve it's vitamins and anti cancer proprietes. I really dislike it overcooked with that yellowy tinge.:(

Broccoli pasta with chilli flakes is one of my favourite weekly pasta dishes. It is easy peasy and so tasty. :lick:

Reactions: Freesia
Now I'm craving broccoli and I don't have any. :(

I cant really find the recipe. What I think I did was cut up 400g or so of broccoli into small florets. Finely minced 2-3 cloves garlic. A bit of chilli, to taste, whether you prefer a little chilli powder or a chilli chopped into tiny pieces. Also have cracked pepper and salt on hand.

Boil up some pasta (500g) and strain. Spaghetti works well but any pasta can be used.
heat up some olive oil in the frying pan., to cover the bottom. Fry garlic so it releases its flavours and then add chilli. Then some pepper and salt. Fry for a minute, then add brocolli florets. keep stir frying it on medium heat until they are cooked but still firm.

Now you can just mix brocolli/oil mix into pasta.

Variations: can also put in cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, or basil leaves to accompany broccoli.

Broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts all have a strong smell when cooked. Your dinner partner is correct. :p

I cant really find the recipe. What I think I did was cut up 400g or so of broccoli into small florets. Finely minced 2-3 cloves garlic. A bit of chilli, to taste, whether you prefer a little chilli powder or a chilli chopped into tiny pieces. Also have cracked pepper and salt on hand.

Boil up some pasta (500g) and strain. Spaghetti works well but any pasta can be used.
heat up some olive oil in the frying pan., to cover the bottom. Fry garlic so it releases its flavours and then add chilli. Then some pepper and salt. Fry for a minute, then add brocolli florets. keep stir frying it on medium heat until they are cooked but still firm.

Now you can just mix brocolli/oil mix into pasta.

Variations: can also put in cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, or basil leaves to accompany broccoli.

Great recipe Freesia, prehaps you could copy/paste it onto the recipe section so that it doesn't get 'lost'? :)
I was going to put my one in the recipe section. It is slightly different, as I use orechietti or penne and the broccoli is cooked in water. I than use the water to cook the pasta which gives it a delicious taste.:)

It is kind of bootlegged off a Jamie Oliver recipe only I put broccoli in place of his omni ingredients.

It is kind of bootlegged off a Jamie Oliver recipe only I put broccoli in place of his omni ingredients,

also I have seen a broccoli pasta recipe in either Veganomicon or AFR but cant remember which, but it is worth looking at.

I'll post mine later on as it is really easy peasy. I'm busy with cleaning and shopping as I was ill in bed
all day long yesterday.:(

And, you might want to add more garlic and /or a little more pepper and salt. I did find when eating it that broccoli does tend to sort of water flavours down a bit. It tasted more brocoli-ish than garlicy over all but I wasnt bothered by it.

Aww. I hope you are feeling better now :hug: .

Yes thanx, Freesia. I was ill with a stomach bug for 2 days and than yesterday my back starting hurting. I'm off
to get some medication or else I don't know how I'm going to do all of my Christmas stuff !:eek:

I find when you roast broccoli it doesn't smell but it is a bit wiffy steamed. Kale is the one that my husband can't stand cooked. He'll put it raw in the smoothie but if I make kale chips he says it stinks of farts.

All vegetables from the cabbage family do have a sulfar like odour when cooked. I don't mind the smell as I
really find these vegetables delicious and apparently have anti cancer proprietes. Many omni foods have far stronger odours than broccoli.
It shouldn't be cooked more than 3 -4 minutes (steamed is best) to preserve it's vitamins and anti cancer proprietes. I really dislike it overcooked with that yellowy tinge.:(

Broccoli pasta with chilli flakes is one of my favourite weekly pasta dishes. It is easy peasy and so tasty. :lick:

Good point! Not only omni foods but dairy foods as well. Eggs and cheese being the worst offenders.

I have never noticed a smell, but I only steam or stir fry broccoli til it is bright green.

What smells is a field of broccoli, brussels sprouts, or cabbage after harvest, before the plant parts left behind get turned under the soil. Yowza. :yuck:

Do you think people who believe it smells strongly has a genetic defect? Surely that must be the case.
I would say that is highly likely. :p

Once there was a terrible smell in the basement; we thought something had died in there. It turned out to be a package of broccoli that I had put on top of the freezer awhile before that had not made it into the actual freezer....ugh.

I would say it has a distinctive but not strong smell, when I cook it. I always undercook it a little if anything though because over cooked vegetables are gross :yuck:.

Reactions: ledboots
I like most cabbagey vegetables either raw or cooked slightly, but they're pretty nasty if they're overcooked. I'm always amazed at recipes that tell you to cook collards, etc for about 30 minutes- that just gives you a gray-green, mushy, foul-smelling mess. I suppose some folks don't like that whole family of vegetables though, however they're prepared.

This is actually the case for (most) people who don't like brussel sprouts - there's supposedly a gene that makes them taste 10x bitterer than to other people.
I knew there was something wrong with those people! :) Bitter? Is that the taste brussel sprouts haters experience? I feel a new thread brewing ...!

Do you think people who believe it smells strongly has a genetic defect? Surely that must be the case.
Hey wait, what? Why am I just reading this now?

Genetic defect..pah. surely that would more accurately apply to people who put ketchup on spaghetti.

Reactions: kazyeeqen